PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I feel bad for Randy Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont feel bad for Moss.

He could have shut up and played as hard as he could, but chose not to.

Do you really think the Patriots would really say if Randy was causing a disruption to the team and was no longer a leader type?

The Pats keep things under cover as we all know,while it may have been true that Randy simply wanted to be traded as you say, I highly doubt it was as simple as that.

I remember when Moss was no longer a captain on the team,that might have been something behind the scenes we will never know about.

Patriots players are told to tell the media all kids of stuff that may not be actual...just to keep them guessing and off the front pages of the sports sections.

When Kendrick Perkins was traded from the Celtics you could clearly see the players were absolutely distrought and mad and expressed it,even without saying any words....I really never felt that was the situation with the Pats players when Moss was gone.

I did; a lot of the players and coaches were telling everyone who would listen what a great teammate mentor and player he was. I have rarely seen such an outpouring from the Patriots.

I am pretty sure it was Randy who wanted out. Obviously it was a big mistake but he did not realize it until after a few weeks with the Vikings. After that he was freaked that he had let the Patriots.

I was wrong about the Randy Moss experiment not being worth the risk and not being something Bill would ever do. Given the price at the time and in hindsight, it was certainly worth the risk and yeilded some spectacular results for a time. Thought he was worth re-signing although I had my qualms about at $9M. I did think they opted not to tag him because if he stayed here it had to be free will. Sadly, even though he made the choice to remain it was never quite the same thereafter.

Absent the motivation he had on arrival he was never consistently that player again. I don't think he's a bad human being. I just think he's a deeply flawed one. He was freakishly talented but he was never really a fit for this system. Bill doesn't care all that much what motivates you, be it a chip on your shoulder or a hair across your ass as long as you are self motivated and mentally tough enough to play the situation, as Bill says whatever that situation may be. That's why he and Mankins still get along... Randy as time went on just required too much hands on maintenance for guys who already have their hands full to have to increasingly deal with.

I think it's sad that so many truly gifted athletes who play this game seem to come as an often fatally flawed package deal complete with massive egos and thin skins or fragile psyche's that don't allow them to make the most of their gifts.

As for Randy, been there, done that, moved on...and his fans have to toughen up a little to and accept that.

Maybe it's only because I'm maybe (definitely) hammered, but thinking about Randy Moss makes me feel sad. He put in a startling effort, set records, infuriated fans, caught what should have been a game-winning SB TD, worked hard for a green QB (MC), took plays off now and then, let his inner douche get the better of him, busted his butt, and it was all for naught.

The guy seemed to REALLY want to win, and he never won it all. He cared about the Pats and TFB and BB. I loved him, personally-speaking. Thinking about how the man *****ed his way out of town makes me want to cry. I wish there was a way he could win it all. Hell, I wish he could come back as a 4th string CB and get a ring in 2011 or 2012.

I just feel bad for the guy. He worked hard, did the amazing, and was hated for it due to perception and his own weaknesses.

I think he is the most underappreciated Patriot ever.

He deserved to be in the Pats HOF, and instead he's a joke.

I hope he is happy.

Flame on, flamers.

:rofl: :rofl: Please stay away from that moonshine Pat. :rofl: :rofl:

Randy Moss is the ****ing man. One of the few non-patriots jerseys I've ever owned is a Moss Vikings (circa 2001) jersey. The day I woke up and found out we had traded for him will be forever emblazoned in my memory. I would still love to have him back on the roster. His ego is hurt right now, and Randy Moss with something to prove is the Randy Moss you want on your team.

I slept it off and am somehow feeling OK. Great comments in this thread. My sober self still more or less agrees with my hammered self.

Happy Birthday Herb.

You really are not blaming Moss' lack of production on Brady throwing to him too much are you?
He wasn't even close to the best receiver on any team he played on last year?
Moss of 2010 was just not the same player as Moss of 2007. No need to search for mystical reasoning, he proved on 3 different teams he is just not effective anymore.

No. If anything Brady was looking Moss's way far too much.

Maybe it's only because I'm maybe (definitely) hammered, but thinking about Randy Moss makes me feel sad. He put in a startling effort, set records, infuriated fans, caught what should have been a game-winning SB TD, worked hard for a green QB (MC), took plays off now and then, let his inner douche get the better of him, busted his butt, and it was all for naught.

The guy seemed to REALLY want to win, and he never won it all. He cared about the Pats and TFB and BB. I loved him, personally-speaking. Thinking about how the man *****ed his way out of town makes me want to cry. I wish there was a way he could win it all. Hell, I wish he could come back as a 4th string CB and get a ring in 2011 or 2012.

I just feel bad for the guy. He worked hard, did the amazing, and was hated for it due to perception and his own weaknesses.

I think he is the most underappreciated Patriot ever.

He deserved to be in the Pats HOF, and instead he's a joke.

I hope he is happy.

Flame on, flamers.

Must be because you are hammered......you reap what you sew.......

I hope he's happy too. A modern day tragic figure, immensely talented, loved playing here, wanted to win but his fatal flaw, feeling 'disrespect' where none was offered led him on a course to career ruin, cast from 'heaven'.

The fatal flaw was obvious even before he was drafted. He's had trust issues and been a bit out there for a while now.

For those who haven't read this old SI article on him, I'd highly recommend it:

Randy Moss, the most gifted player in college football, is - 08.25.97 - SI Vault

Everybody's watching him. Randy Moss can feel the eyes of the lunchtime crowd at the Bob Evans restaurant, the double takes and furtive glances from the men in short sleeves and wide ties. He's got his act down: gray hood over his head, butt slumped in the booth, eyes as lifeless as buttons. Moss is a wide receiver at Marshall University, in Huntington, W.Va., and he figures to be rich before long. He jabs at his toast with a plastic straw.

"If I didn't have this hood on, and they saw us sitting here, people would say an agent picked up Randy Moss and took him to Bob Evans," he says. "That's why I got this hood on. Some people are looking, and some are not. Some know I'm here and you're here, they see a bill and they'll say, 'The agent paid for his food.' Anything can happen."

He shrugs. Moss says he doesn't care about the world's judgments anymore, and it's easy to believe he means it. Certainly no player in college football bears more stains on his name. Two and a half years ago, as a high school senior, Moss stomped a kid in a fight, pleaded guilty to two counts of battery and was sentenced to 30 days in jail and a year's probation. That cost him a scholarship to Notre Dame. He enrolled at Florida State. The following spring he broke probation by smoking marijuana, was kicked out of Florida State and served two more months in prison. Then last fall, as Moss was on his way to shattering various NCAA and Marshall records with 28 touchdowns and 1,709 receiving yards as a freshman, he was charged with domestic battery against the mother of his baby daughter.

Yet Moss is not much interested in image-mending. His first words this morning were that he slept through his communications class. His hair is braided in long rows against his skull, a style he knows will give the wrong impression. "People perceive: Only black thug guys have braids," he says, his voice carrying to a dozen tables. "If I want to grow hair, I'll grow it. If I want to wear lipstick and makeup, I'll do that. God didn't put makeup on this world just for women. They perceive me as a thug? I'm not. I'm a gentleman. I know what I am, my mom knows what I am, most people know what I am. Don't judge me until you know me."

Actually I have always thought that the most under appreciated Patriots of all time was David Givens. Go back and look a the tape; he was an incredibly reliable third down receiver.

**** that piece of ****.

He quit on this team like a dog, glad his ass got traded. Loved seeing him kiss the organization's ass when he came back with Minn. Too bad moron, you'll never wear the NE uniform again.

No one here loves Randy more than I do. Do I feel bad for him? Absolutely not. Randy has had a great career, is very rich, and most importantly, has five beautiful healthy children. I think Randy is doing just fine.

I really wonder if Brady's 'not so great' 2009 campaign had as much to do with forcing the ball to Moss alot to keep him happy as it did with his comeback from a knee injury.

A 2009 season without Moss might actually have been better....hard to say that since Moss had over 1,000 yards, but after seeing Brady without Moss this past year I don't know if you can say that is laughable.

That's one of the more ridiculous reaches I've read on this forum. Brady's issues in 2009 were solely a) recovering from injury, b) complete lack of a tight end in that offense (Watson's pretty good, but was never used), and c) a historically difficult set of pass defenses. People always seem to forget the last point, but Football Outsiders said that Brady went up against a more difficult schedule of pass defenses than anyone else that they've ever recorded in 2009. Adjusted for strength of opposition, Brady was #1 in the 2009 FO rankings.

Last edited:
Actually I have always thought that the most under appreciated Patriots of all time was David Givens. Go back and look a the tape; he was an incredibly reliable third down receiver.

Agree completely. Givens was everything Randy Moss has never been and will never be. Tough, reliable, clutch and a winner.

A shame he got hurt. Was my favorite player when he was on the team. He scored a touchdown in nearly every playoff game he played in. I think it was six straight.

sad-keanu-ro.jpg

PJ, aren't you in China? Go outside and look around. Randy has had a more fortunate life than just about every one of the several thousand people you see from your front door. He's fine.

PJ, aren't you in China? Go outside and look around. Randy has had a more fortunate life than just about every one of the several thousand people you see from your front door. He's fine.
Sure, in many ways his life is much better than mine, too. I'm speaking in relative terms. To me he's one of those tragic figures that screws up every good thing that comes around due to his insecurities.

But anyway...

I too like and appreciate David Givens much much more than Randy Moss. He was the man. I wish he never left but I understand why he did. He's someone I should feel worse for than Randy.

**** that piece of ****.

He quit on this team like a dog, glad his ass got traded. Loved seeing him kiss the organization's ass when he came back with Minn. Too bad moron, you'll never wear the NE uniform again.

Deion Branch Says hello.

I've liked all of our receivers: Moss, Branch, Givens, etc.. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes