PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I expect to see some Patriot "reaches" early in this draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the concept of "reaching" is slightly flawed. It's all based on what guys who no longer scout for NFL teams, or never did in the 1st place, think someone's value should be.

It goes without saying that the teams have a lot more information to go on than the draftniks: practice information, interviews, informal (unwritten and completely deniable) references and the financial resources to spend huge amounts of time breaking down game tape. They also have guys analysing players who are experts in coaching and/or have played the game to a very high level. It was on that basis that the Pats took Sebastian Vollmer so high; Dante had spent time coaching him for one of the bowl games, I believe.

They also find out stuff we don't, such as X team is also really interested in X player, because they have interviewed him, attended his practices and so on. Some of that information will be erroneous, but plenty of it won't. So, if you find out that Dallas (for example) really likes Sebastian Vollmer as much as you do, you had either better take him early or accept that you could be watching his pro-bowl career from a distance. The fact that Mel Kiper has him pegged to go in the 4th is completely meaningless. What matters is a) how much you like player X and b) how much evidence you have that other teams share that opinion.

They may be reaches to the Football Media Talking heads, but Belichick simply takes the next guy on his board, whoever that may be

Broncos, Patriots draft off a short board | ProFootballTalk.com

It's a process Belichick has used to build a three-time Super Bowl champion. Some who have worked with Belichick said there were years when the Patriots had as few as 25 names on their draft board.

If BB hadn't been able to trade back to #10 for Mayo I'd think he would have taken him at #6 and been told that he was "reaching". I'd be fine with that reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes