PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I dub thee "Matt Effing Cassel"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to really enjoy watching Cassel. It almost makes me sad that he won't be back next year (except for the fact that we have a kinda good player coming back next year).

I love the people who are still talking crap about him. I mean, seriously. Get over yourselves. Matt Cassel is good, deal with it, enjoy it.

Matt Cassel the next Steve Young? That's just ridiculous.

Guy played pretty admirable in the second half tonight, but come on it did kind of take him 51 attempts to throw 3 TDs. If my QB throws 51 times I'd expect him to have 3+ TDs hopefully.

And to the poster who said Moss is essentially being wasted, he's right on. If you disagree a quick gander of his stats this year will point you in the right direction.
Considering the passes dropped by receivers, this is a stupid comment.

Last edited:
51 passes. No picks.

Now that's impressive!

He has grown a lot and I am impressed with his progress.

Edit.. wrong thread :(

Last edited:
If he could hit a wide open reciever outside of 20 yards, I might agree. He left at least 14 easy points on the table. Makes me sick to think about how great Moss is, and watching him essentially being wasted this season.

That said, Matt does do some things well, but God love him if some team coughs up cash and makes him a starter...:nooo:

Very realistic assessment overall.......Cassel has incredible HEART and led that team back last night......I give him alot of credit for what he has been able to do this year. Now that having been said, he is not going to be throwing many long bombs to Randy Moss.....or anyone else.....just not that accurate there I don't think....He is what he is.....

Very realistic assessment overall.......Cassel has incredible HEART and led that team back last night......I give him alot of credit for what he has been able to do this year. Now that having been said, he is not going to be throwing many long bombs to Randy Moss.....or anyone else.....just not that accurate there I don't think....He is what he is.....

More like you are what you are...one of the resident geniuses who saw nothing worthwhile in this kid in August and still can't really bring himself to admit it or tolerate others acknowledging it without pissing in their cheerios...

Too soon to be that here. He's gone after the season, one way or another.

No doubt, but I hope it's a productive departure for the Patriots and I hope Brady is ready to return or we'll have to watch O'Connell and/or Gutierrez figure it out--which might not be so bad seeing how successful NE has been with backup QBs.

Matt continues to show improvement. However, he is still throwing bullets on short passes instead of nice lobs that allow his receivers to catch them more easily. On several occasions, Cassel had open receivers about 7 yards away and he either couldn't hit them or looked off them and made a different throw.

More like you are what you are...one of the resident geniuses who saw nothing worthwhile in this kid in August and still can't really bring himself to admit it or tolerate others acknowledging it without pissing in their cheerios...

And the funny thing is that, the 1st time Cassel screws up, the Cassel haters are going to be calling for his head and demanding O'Connell to be put in.

Cassel has proven to be a very solid NFL QB who is continuing to improve. He's shown he hasn't reached his ceiling yet and he still needs to learn to control his arm power. People are saying that this kid has no arm. That is blatantly false. What he doesn't have is good control over his arm. He has over-thrown Moss by a considerable margin in each of the last 3 weeks. And I'm not talking about 10 or 15 yard plays. I'm talking 40-50 yards in the air and Moss can't catch up to it. But that control takes TIME. It took Brady about 3 years to get that control down on the deeper routes. So I am not surprised that Cassel hasn't hit them.

Yeah, we lost. Sucks. But I saw a QB put the game on his back after getting burnt more by his own team than the Jesters.

Clutch. I don't want to say he's the next TFB, not at all, but Matt Cassel is an NFL QB, without a doubt.

Congrats Matt. Now go kick some of your team-mates teeth in!

83683871.jpg

That was a gutsy drive, and he looked like Brady. Can't say enough about Cassel last nite, he really deserved a W for how he played, and how he brought this team back in the 2nd half.

Yeah, we lost. Sucks. But I saw a QB put the game on his back after getting burnt more by his own team than the Jesters.

Clutch. I don't want to say he's the next TFB, not at all, but Matt Cassel is an NFL QB, without a doubt.

Congrats Matt. Now go kick some of your team-mates teeth in!

83683871.jpg

You can start with Ben Watson Matt, ask him why is so damn clumsy, has hands of stone and can't break a tackle on his best day. That fumble was so inexcusable, how to kill a drive Ben.

Cassel was very, very good last night. Since the Denver game, you can see he's been getting more and more confident.

While I'm disappointed with last night's result, I do think that this team will make the playoffs and with Cassel getting better each game, a lot of teams will be hoping they don't meet us in the playoffs.

Super Bowl One with the rams...Pats will kneel..Brady isn;t a long threat" THanx John Madden...true..rumors where heas weakarmed...year two hestarts to air it out...terribly inaccuarte...Deion Brabch, Brady gets the intermediate killers down to an art form and displays a downfield arm...his recivers are average and fingertips are the rule...next year they get some burners , Bready throws darts twenty yards downfield, the experts notice...must be working on his arm...NO..he was working all off seaon on his acurracy, but still hamstrung with avergae NFL jouneymen...Randy Moss shows up...Patrioy nation "what the hell is Brady fdoing, he's double covered!!! Crazy...ball sail over Moss's should shielded from two defenders...buh bye..all Moss has to do isrun the route, Tom takes care of the placemet...AMAZEMENT league wide...that's not what wobble duck Peytie does, he throws to routes that are always the correct open route in their offense that;s why he's such agreat talent, the best at knowing who is going to break free,,,and dallas Clark for the easy audible. THe two best QB;s in the nFL, don't bother to even make comparisons just understand they have mastered their craft.Favre? force into gunslinging he's a wild card. Reggie White won that super bowl;Romo? heh..won nothing.Carson Palmer?Senior to matt Leinart? Cassel the clipboard holder becayse , well,they were physically more imposing, looked the part, played in big games,,,Cassel just watched.I nc lass though , Cassel knew the offense completely, that why USC backed him to Pioli when they took a look.And cassell had better speed measurables a very catchable ball and studied diligently.Attributes of the similkar Tom Brady nobody.Don't asl me why this a major criteria for Piole/BB, I'm a star palyer draftnik. I am stunnde this kid was savaged befpre he even played a game, was damned for being unawre, can't throw long, holdsthe ball too long, but he grades out almost at the top for carryuing out gameplan. So now the whole world KNOWS he's ;eaving...except HE"S not saying that...he's the kid who could have transferred and been a big star at another cali school..why didn't. The Patriots offered him a spot and a chance to see if he could translate their psycholgical profile of him to high pressure NFL play> How do you find out? He sucked so bad we wanted to keep Guts and some aa kid from Podunk..Looked real bad. Wehad triouvle with KC, we won but Moss was invisble,,no mistakes though..savagely attacked season...next game he moved the ball but his pocket presenc sucked...he'll never learn that...a week later he moves up on the pressure completes a first down, not bad...then hetrows a long one to randy...sucked and then he hit Randy six or seven times on crucail crossing pattern,not bad...meanwhile Welker is catching every godamned 5 and ten yard pass at wil. So what happens,"he's relucyant to run!!!:...yeag so then he's a few times for good ...today he was our lead rusher.

Hey morons, he;s fast..far beyond brady...a nice dimension

but syill "hellnever hanfle real pressure!!"....yeah, 4 seconds left in the biggest reular season agme of the year and WHAT???? Look it up,even the greats,99% failure...can't pass over a 150 yards!!'...sorry, 400 tonight...he's a freaking kid, a rook,like a 6th round "project".Coincidence.

Sure we lost in asqueaker..coin toss..leaky D...but get THIS straight...Randy 's mad about no balls!!...Ty Law is back to sticl it to us!!''Laughing at rookie high scholl kid!!. Y^o,4 seconds left Law KNOWS the game is hsutory, Moss is tangled up, the kid i being chased, ultimate pressure...where was THAT ball huh? Luck? You know what they do to him in the lockeroom, they nonstop crack on him because he's a dopey goober who's hard to resist torturing.THey LOVE this kid. This isn't pressure, this is hey last time I played was high school...I'm the last mother****you want try to shut down with your rep, because I got nothingg to lose.After the game I was right there,that whole team was on HIM.they let him down, I could see his embarrasment but the Pats are no longer doubtful of their QB, becasue it turns out they never had to pat him on the back after a bad game, he's doing fine.

and the funny thing is LOVES all these guys tearing him down...goofy, spaceshot, Randy on;y had three catches but 4secleft cassel to Moss..that's huge.Don't believ the hype..Brady a Hollywood star..already risking crippleness.he retire next or the year after cassels 2nd tier contract escalates what's written into and voila starter money...why not Steve Young did..because he SMART,,,so is Cassel...and the only people who NEVER gave up on him as he was savaedly denigated country wide was the NE Patrios...THat's my bet...I won with a bunch of Pats friend years on Bruschi, Troy Brown has peoven to be the consummate team system unselfish MAN of great character. And I saw Corey Dillon close up at the Super Bowl when I was laying fiber optics...crying his eyes out...we gave him the chance...this ******* guy used to pound for 200 yards wih freqency for Cincy..got nothing...what he had left washe could bust holes and make postive atrds to fit our offense...he was surly, hated the press,never lost his edgebut I saw Harrison completely run him over at a banquet in Boston with the "I seen you cry..I seen it.you though it was that good...you better watch your back cuz Seymour wants that goaline carry you thought was your and if you get blown up, the ring goes back to Vrabel"...now Iwas ther amngst the Pats celebritiesa nd media but the point was Rodney was insulted that Cincy ran a chump and made him third when he was capable of 200 plus yards all day. Not the Pats..the whole world KNEW the Pats would never take a Corey Dillon.It was Rodney and I think Willie that called him up and said you want to do what you do, come here, but we play as team and tyou say only get six carries or amybe thiry of block well but you WILL get a ring and I will outshine you as the bad guy.The first tackle you break and these fans are your bigest defense but this a TEAM. Dillon didn;t buy it at gitsy but then Bruschi amd Pleasnat and McG told him..200 yards? we don't give up 200 yards in four games...that first season the Pats got what they lacked sincce BB took over, Dillon hated the press, was surly blunt and combative...his yeammates took him to functions...already adored> Best move BB made that year...the one he would never make. Next season, BB is definitely gonna weasel a buner ..back on it...I'm feeling Javon Walker. Maroney ain't going nowhere...he's been an immature kid...I expect this IR and all the heat might wake him up and Green Ellis will threaten the gaps opening up outside gaps and end burst that get Maroney in open space.THAT you can't argue.

But thus is still the Patriots

A bunch of posters here have been saying they want to see Cassel get it in the end zone. Well, he did it a bunch. I too thought Moss slowed or stumbled on that overthrown ball. The kid has been showing improvement every week since he took over. I love the fact he can run and presents a different element to the offense than Brady presents. He hit some passes scrambling that were right on the money.

On the negative side, he did seem to be uncharacteristically throwing wide on shorter passes. The commentators stated the misses represented "safe" throws (when they were not bashing him for ineptitude on long throws), but I was wondering if it was something else (weather, wind, cold, etc.). I cannot picture a coach telling a quarterback to "throw wide" to avoid a costly pick - that would be a confidence booster for a young QB asked to execute an offense. The second to last drive that stalled reflected a few of those misses, and I do not think he was pressured on all the throws.

If he could hit a wide open reciever outside of 20 yards, I might agree. He left at least 14 easy points on the table. Makes me sick to think about how great Moss is, and watching him essentially being wasted this season.

That said, Matt does do some things well, but God love him if some team coughs up cash and makes him a starter...:nooo:

+1

I didn't watch the whole game last week vs the Bills but Cassel did look good in the first half. He's a decent QB but most will be happy to see Brady come back to action and see the Brady/Moss chemistry restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes