PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I doubt We Trade Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdog3484

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If 5 Quarterbacks are going top 20, it makes it much less likely we trade up.

I would be very surprised if we had to. A bunch of good players will not slip to us at 17. we are probably likely to trade down

Frankly, I'd be more surprised if 5 quarterbacks went top 20 than I would be if we moved up.

But then again, there are a lot of dumb teams out there, and either scenario works to our benefit. Assuming, of course, we get a decent player by moving up and not a bust.

I don't follow. One the teams picking a quarterback in the top 20 may be picking one at 17 after trading down with the patriots.

If 5 Quarterbacks are going top 20, it makes it much less likely we trade up.

I would be very surprised if we had to. A bunch of good players will not slip to us at 17. we are probably likely to trade down

I would not be surprised if 5 quarterbacks are drafted in the first round by teams currently drafting in the top 15. Of course, 2-3 may draft a quarterback after moving down in the first.

Frankly, I'd be more surprised if 5 quarterbacks went top 20 than I would be if we moved up.

But then again, there are a lot of dumb teams out there, and either scenario works to our benefit. Assuming, of course, we get a decent player by moving up and not a bust.

We'll soon see how desperate teams are for QBs. The QB 'feeding frenzy' can only be a good thing for the Pats who are in ideal position to TRADE DOWN and acquire more picks.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if 5 quarterbacks are drafted in the first round by teams currently drafting in the top 15. Of course, 2-3 may draft a quarterback after moving down in the first.

Well... I'm hardly a draftnik so I'm not THAT familiar with the QB class coming out this year, other than Blaine Gabbert, whom I don't like at all. But it was my understanding that it isn't a particularly strong one. Perhaps I'm misinformed, though.

Well... I'm hardly a draftnik so I'm not THAT familiar with the QB class coming out this year, other than Blaine Gabbert, whom I don't like at all. But it was my understanding that it isn't a particularly strong one. Perhaps I'm misinformed, though.

Oh I would agree that the QB class doesn't appear particularly strong this year. But it does seem to be about 6 deep. In ordinary draft years these QBs wouldn't be taken until much later. But there appears to be an unusual sense of desperation for QBs this year.

The mid-1st talents like Newton and Gabbert will be going in the top 5. Locker who is in a weird category of his own may easily go at the 10th or 12th pick. Then there are the second tier talents, 2nd round QB talents in other years, who will likely be sneaking into the bottom of the 1st like Ponder, Dalton, and Kaepernick. Don't forget Ryan Mallet either, although his character issues abound, he's got the prototypical size and arm that will make some team take a chance in round 2.

Last edited:
This years last minute urge by teams seems to be going after QB's the dallas paper has 5 QB's going top 12.

I doubt this would change the pats desire to move up since there sounds like there would be more guys to move up for ...... say if quinn is sitting there at 12-14

Agreed. Now that the lockout is over, teams that need a QB know that guys like Kolb, Bulger, McNabb, maybe Palmer, are available and don't need to reach for a 2nd or 3rd tier QB.

Agreed. Now that the lockout is over, teams that need a QB know that guys like Kolb, Bulger, McNabb, maybe Palmer, are available and don't need to reach for a 2nd or 3rd tier QB.

But free agency won't start till Monday as stated by the league so there's a good chance at least one team will draft a QB because there is a chance they don't land a FA QB, cos then they'd be screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes