PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I don't want Reggie Bush anytime!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't want Reggie Bush because he hasn't won any Super Bowls?

I guess we shouldn't draft anybody then...

dhamz said:
Not sure how your point is validated by Marshall Faulk being as good a goaline and short yardage runner I've ever seen. Isn't your point that you need a big power back to get those hard yards?

Also, if you are being serious with the first part of that you'd seem to invalidate any football point you could ever make by talking about what Faulk did with Bert Jones who retired in 1982 and the Baltimore Colts who moved in 83 when Marshall was 6 or 7 years old.

It was no more Faulk's fault they weren't winning in Indy when he was there than it was Corey Dillon's fault he wasn't winning in Cincy.

OOPs wrong Baltimore QB. Why am I drawing a blank on who QBed the Colts contemporaneously with Faulk's presence? Oh well, they say the memory is the first to go with old age....

Last edited:
Jim Harbaugh and Manning, I believe, was with him for a year or two.

All this talk of Bush being a 3rd down back is ludicrous. This kid has the chance to be something really special. Although no draftpick is a sure thing, he certainly shows that special kind of gamebreaking ability that comes around every 10 years or so. Let me get this straight,someone mentioned because he is only 6'0 200pds he can't be a every down back? Someone try telling that to Barry Sanders who was only 5'8 200pds coming out of college.
No, I am not saying Bush is going to be Sanders,but they were both extremely gifted athletes coming out of college. We will see this coming season what Bush is all about,but I'd be willing to wager he will be much better than a 3rd down back with or without an offensive line.

Patriot Missile said:
All this talk of Bush being a 3rd down back is ludicrous. This kid has the chance to be something really special. Although no draftpick is a sure thing, he certainly shows that special kind of gamebreaking ability that comes around every 10 years or so. Let me get this straight,someone mentioned because he is only 6'0 200pds he can't be a every down back? Someone try telling that to Barry Sanders who was only 5'8 200pds coming out of college.
No, I am not saying Bush is going to be Sanders,but they were both extremely gifted athletes coming out of college. We will see this coming season what Bush is all about,but I'd be willing to wager he will be much better than a 3rd down back with or without an offensive line.
That's what I'm saying... but nobody wants to listen. They all just look at his USC profile where it says he's 6', 200 whereas he's at least 210 now and will keep working out. His game is as complete as it gets.

re:

I think the essential point isn't about the height or weight of the running back.

All championship offenses have to be able to get first downs consistently and keep drives alive.

The original poster talked about how Barry Sanders would get something like -2, -1, 0, and 80 yards on separate plays and still have a high per-carry average. These types of RB's actually kill offensive drives because they give their teams too many 2nd and long and 3rd and long situations.

Championship teams can, and have had small, compact backs as well as tall, lean ones - physical size doesn't matter. What does matter is that the RB consistently get 3 to 5 yards per carry and give his team as many 2nd and 6 and 3rd and 2 situations as possible.

As for Reggie Bush, his 8.9 yards per carry is ridiculous. The man is clearly talented. As long as he learns to keep going upfield with the ball, as opposed to going backwards or sideways like he likes to do sometimes, he can be a great asset on a championship-caliber team.

Patriot Missile said:

I don't think his point was to slam Bush, or Sanders for that matter.

I think he's trying to say shifty running backs are over valued as far as winning NFL games is concerned.

It's no accident winning coaches go for Defensive linemen high, while fans drool over the latest swivel hips.

It's great to watch a 40 yard run by a Barry Sanders.

But any pass play can go for 40 yards even if routine.

Three yards and a cloud of dust is boring, but those rings are cool!

Fortunately, we've got the best of both worlds in Dillon. Hope he's healthy!:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back