PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I don't want it to end. Not yet, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lansdowne

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Note: This is me getting some thoughts out about my feelings about this season. Sorry because I know we get a bunch of these threads around here. But I wanted to share this with you guys because more than anyone else, you would understand. I post this in a general sports/NFL forum and all I would get is venom from others.

---

Count me among those who feel the Jets were the best matchup for the Pats for the divisional round. Their quarterback is awful and the Pats have gotten the better of the Rex Ryan-era Jets in Foxboro every time. I'm not lacking for confidence. But the possibility, as remote as it may seem, that the season could potentially end for us on Sunday strikes fear in me.

Now, don't get me wrong. We all know what's at stake every time the Pats are in the playoffs: win or go home. That concept has never changed.

But personally, I have cherished this year's Patriots team so much that it would sadden me to see it end now. Not necessarily because they would fall short of expectations. After all, those expectations were fairly low, even within New England, going into the season. No, not for expecting a championship. But rather, because this team has been just so damn fun to watch each and every game.

Yes, every season is unique. But this one really stands out to me. 1996 was pretty fun, though I admit I don't remember a whole lot of the regular season, I missed too many games. 2001 was crazy and I couldn't believe it was happening as it was unfolding. It was pretty surreal. That's the closest thing I've felt to how I feel about this season. 2007 was special too, but it wasn't as much fun for me. It felt more personal. I couldn't talk to non-Pats fans because of all the Spygate crap. I wasn't allowed to enjoy any of those wins without asterisk this or cheating that or blah blah blah. Then when they fell short in that horrible final game, everyone else on those forums rejoiced at my expense and nobody sympathized. I never felt so bitter about a whole season. I had too much invested emotionally.

But with this 2010 team, it's different. It really is. Sure, I'll be disappointed if they fall short of Brady getting his fourth ring. But that won't change the fact that I really enjoyed this team and this season. Watching the kids grow up before our very eyes. Watching Belichick and Brady put on an absolute clinic as leaders and mentors. So many great moments that there are too many to list and single out. Just pure, genuine joy.

I have a colleague at work who is anti-Boston, and he asked me my thoughts about the playoffs. I told him quite simply I don't want it to end yet for the Patriots, that I'm having too much fun. He said I had plenty of fun in 2007, 16-0 team and such. I told him that wasn't fun, it was too personal and not getting the last laugh ruined it for me. That taught me never to take any Patriots game for granted. I told him that 2010 isn't anything like that, and that it's more about the journey than the destination, and it's true.

We're approaching that destination, which is only a few short weeks away. This has been the most fun and enjoyable Patriots season of my life, and like all of you, I don't want it to end. But it has to end at some point, and I just hope that when it does, that it's concluded with a victory parade in the streets of Boston.

Looking forward to Sunday, with hopefully another game to follow.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more. What a stark contrast to last season, which was relatively joyless.

This group of guys is so special. They've pulled out pretty much every close game of the year, and at least 5 or 6 times I've run around my apartment screaming and jumping in joy as the Pats manage to pull it out. (I dream of doing the same on February 6)

Because of what happened in 2007, it makes me realize anything can happen in the playoffs. All it takes is a muffed punt, etc to ruin an entire season. I pray this won't be the case. What gives me some confidence is the amount and depth of preparation these players and coaches partake in.

At the end of the day...we are so lucky to have three Superbowls. BUT it feels like we could've had many more. If Brady doesn't throw that Bailey pick in Denver, we host the AFCCG against a team we had beaten and play an OK seattle team. If we just make one of many plays against the Colts in 06, we play the Bears and win convincingly IMHO. 2007 speaks for itself. We could've done really special things in 08 with that schedule had it not been for Pollard. It really feels like Brady should have 5 rings (at least).

Because of that, and the great vibe of this team, it kind of feels like we are due. The last five years have been full of so many near misses, but I think when you are as consistently great as an organization as the NEP are, bad luck can only derail you for so long.

Lets get em.

Wrongly assuming, as so many did, that this would indeed be a rebuilding year, I decided from the get-go that I would just enjoy each week as it came, and save my rooting interest for Jets misery (which seemed a safe enough bet). By that measure, Sunday is my Super Bowl - I want my main emotional payoff. :D In this pleasant surprise of a season, anything else is gravy :)

Last edited:
Great post. I was thinking the exact same thing, I love this team. In fact, this year and 2001 are the only years when I'm thinking "you know what, Super Bowl would be awesome, but even if they don't get it, I'm happy how far we've come." We have such a young team that can move forward from the this season, with great draft picks. In the 2001 playoffs, I was thinking how we might've found ourselves a young franchise quarterback.

i just dont want it to end vs the jets.... the jets should not be overlooked.. the 2005 colts, blew out the steelers and then faced them in the playoffs.. we all know what happend ... 2007 the giants lost to the cowboys in dec 2007, and beat them in the playoffs... i know the pats are the better coached and qb team,but its not going to be 45-3...

The future is very bright , and the team will be favored to be in the super bowl , the next few years... but to lose to the jets at home, would be a punch in the gut, even though this has been a succesful season...

This is the year, every year. Forget that, "oh it's OK because we're young stuff." The season just started and we've got the team. According to the Mayan calendar, this is the last Super Bowl anyway, so none of that stuff about next year, it doesn't exist.

:woohoo::robot::horn::yeeha:

Last edited:
Honestly, if the awful event occurs and the Patriots lose this weekend I will be in this state..

1244236681_top-10-shameless-male-crying-displays_3.jpg

This season is NOT ending this coming Sunday.
This Patriot team couldn't have gotten a better matchup for the first playoff game!
No worries this week. Not even gonna be one of those "down to the wire games".
For the rebuilding Patriots this is just first step to years of competing for more super bowls.
Go Pats!

This is the year, every year. Forget that, "oh it's OK because we're young stuff." The season just started and we've got the team. According to the Aztec calendar, this is the last Super Bowl anyway, so none of that stuff about next year, it doesn't exist.

:woohoo::robot::horn::yeeha:

Lol actually next year will be the last. Dec.. 2012 is when it ends.

And what's wrong with saying its ok cause we're young? As fans, if we have a reason for optimism, we get optimistic, if cautiously optimistic. This season has been a great run, and if doesn't work out, whatever, we'll look ahead. There are a lot of teams that are on the way down.

Excellent post. I echo similar sentiments in regard to genuinely liking this team. I enjoy watching them go out there each week and play hard for 60 minutes and execute at an uncanny level of efficiency whilst having fun doing so. The entire team exudes exuberance. It is easy to see that they love playing the game and that the coaches love coaching this team.

I feel that a lot of people are worried about this Sunday because the Jets are the antithesis of the "Patriot Way" and to, dare I say, lose to them would not only signify the end of the season, but also the end of the season at the hands of a team we despise, with a self-centered braggart for a head coach and a roster littered with smack-talking thugs who feel that preparation for an upcoming game involves speaking endlessly to the media about how great you are and how you are going to beat the other team, etc.

I am confident that the 2010 Patriots journey does not end this Sunday in Foxborough. The destination can be glimpsed on the horizon, but there is more road to be tread before it is reached. This team is not there yet, and there is still some more great football left to be enjoyed.

Go Pats!

Lol actually next year will be the last. Dec.. 2012 is when it ends.

And what's wrong with saying its ok cause we're young? As fans, if we have a reason for optimism, we get optimistic, if cautiously optimistic. This season has been a great run, and if doesn't work out, whatever, we'll look ahead. There are a lot of teams that are on the way down.

It's never OK to lose. It's always this year. This OK to lose thread is a jinx, stop it. The regular season is over.

And damn you for quick quoting me. Of course i meant the Mayans, the Aztecs made no prophecies involving NFL lockouts.

Seriously folks, if you want to jump off the bus now, that's up to you. Next week is the first chapter in the story of the 2010-11 Patriots.

The 2005 team is still my favorite Patriot team because they were warriors that gave it all they had. They had no business even being in the playoffs with Dillon hopping around on one leg and double digit DBs on the IR. But I never thought they considerd getting on the playoffs an accomplishment and would have gone allthe way if they were had some breaks, if they were forced to play with only 10 on a side, because they had heart and only looked to the next game.

It's the playoffs!!!

Time for looking back is after the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
This season has been a great run, and if doesn't work out, whatever, we'll look ahead. There are a lot of teams that are on the way down.

Ahhhhhh. Hopefully you're not involved with the organization.

It's the playoffs!!!

PLAYOFFS?!?!? :D

But seriously, I resent the notion of a jinx here. It's more of a perspective that I'm savoring the journey and trying not to be all like "c'mon Pats hurry up and win so I can get back to an offseason of celebrating". We'll all be happier than pigs in **** once they win it all, but let's enjoy what's in front of us as we approach the finish line. This is some great football, and I want MORE!

Last edited:
Well said. Past sports heartbreaks (Sox '86 etc.) may fade away, but they never really leave. That is not a bad thing because it allows you to appreciate even more when the opposite occurs. When we see a team like New Orleans losing in an upset over this past weekend, it is a reminder that any team can win or lose on any given day. It is also what will make us cheer as loud as we can on Sunday.

...for me 2007 was the ruler by which all other seasons will be measured. No way no how can I drop as a fan further than that.

It is a great season, great watching the D grow, great to see TFB play lights out, great to watch 39, 42, 51, 25, 32, 75, 83, 87, 85 all have great years.

This season has surpassed my expectations. They can beat the Jets, they can beat the Ravens/Steelers, they can beat the NFC champ.

Turning the ball over would be huge. Taking possessions away from our offense and having them score points keeps them in the games. We have a lot of weapons that can make plays and covering them all will be a challenge.

Whether them drop or rush, TFB has seen it before. We have a good chance. But we need to play at the caliber that got us 14 wins against no slouches. The ball may come out due to just bad luck. What is this teams psyche gonna be like if that does happen? How are they gonna respond or pick themselves up or light a fire under them if the points aren't there. That is a quality we may need. This ain't no regular season.

Our guys will be coached up and ready...that's all we can ask for. So sit back and enjoy!

Last edited:
PLAYOFFS?!?!? :D

But seriously, I resent the notion of a jinx here. It's more of a perspective that I'm savoring the journey and trying not to be all like "c'mon Pats hurry up and win so I can get back to an offseason of celebrating". We'll all be happier than pigs in **** once they win it all, but let's enjoy what's in front of us as we approach the finish line. This is some great football, and I want MORE!

Of course. I hear there's a game Sunday.

Just saying that this is the year, you can't predict the future. 1 game at a time. Yes, this year is a treat, absolutely.

Last edited:
Ahhhhhh. Hopefully you're not involved with the organization.

Of course that's not what I want the team to be thinking about. As fans though, what's wrong with staying optimistic?

This years team is different for me from seasons ago primarily because of one thing in particular...the best draft history in Patriots history and a future as bright as the sun on a cloudless day.

In other years past,there were those teams I loved,but deep down inside I knew it could be short-lived because of the veterans on defense were getting older and I knew they were not going to be around for more than a few years at best.

This draft of 2010 has reborn the Patriots to a new decade of talent,the draft all but ensured that the Patriots were going to be in the thick of things longer than some of us thought.

Brady will still be a great QB for at least several more years at worst and even if this team does not go all the way it has been a special journey to heights I did not expect and the future is bright so any loss from here on out this season,should it happen,can certainly be looked at with excitement into the future.

Last edited:
Given the high percentage of rookies that made up this team and the number of key veterans that went on IR early (T.Warren, Bodden, etc.), I had relatively low expectations for the Pats this year. Several of you have already said something along these lines - I was settled in for a good year of player/team development, but wasn't expecting to get anywhere until next year. The turning point for me was "The Spike" game against the Steelers. Prior to that game there were the losses to the Jets and the Browns, and six wins that were either close or against meager teams or both. The Pats huge bounce back from the Browns game with the fiery, high-emotion play and leadership from Brady was inspiring. Now, I expect them to go all the way.

I don't think we're going to get another 45-3 smack down, but I do think the Pats will win. Hopefully Belichick will put enough new wrinkles in the playbook to keep them confused. Hopefully the Pats will out-execute the Jets. Rex Ryan said that last time they had tried to be too complicated, and this time he was going to simplify the game plan... what a stupid thing to say.

Anyway, I think the possibility exists that the Jets could somehow win on Sunday - that's why they play the game - but I fully expect the Pats to win and finally shut up their stupid mouths... at least for a little while.

All really great thoughts, I found this season to be especially fun to watch, with all the new faces and the possibility of having a great look at a title over the next few years. Watching Brady play at the level he has this year has been amazing, I found myself this year really appreciating this more as you look aropund the league and what there is out there for QB's, and knowing Brady's age as fans of the NEP we have been spoiled. This is a special team and their best is yet to come!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots