PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I don't understand ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We are the 2nd most valuable organization, more valuable than the Dallas Cowboys.

We are one of the highest revenue teams, charging one of the highest ticket prices in the NFL.

We have asked players like Tom Brady to sign for below market value so that we can surround him with better players.

And yet ...

We are getting rid of all our home-grown talents.

We had gotten rid of Law, Vinatieri, McGinnest, Givens, and (soon) Branch.

In their place, we picked up free agents like Duane Starks, Monty Biesel, Chad Brown, and Reche Caldwell.

We have one of the best QBs in NFL history who took a pay discount and we are surrounding him with Reche Caldwell, Eddie Berlin, Zuriel Smith, and John Stone.

I don't understand it.

I don't understand why you have to re-type this same stupid message every week.

Oh man...

I really wish you didn't put it that way.
Now I have to pop in the 3 games to glory series to feel good again.

mikey said:
We are the 2nd most valuable organization, more valuable than the Dallas Cowboys.

We are one of the highest revenue teams, charging one of the highest ticket prices in the NFL.

We have asked players like Tom Brady to sign for below market value so that we can surround him with better players.

And yet ...

In their place, we picked up free agents like Duane Starks, Monty Biesel, Chad Brown, and Reche Caldwell.

We have one of the best QBs in NFL history who took a pay discount and we are surrounding him with Reche Caldwell, Eddie Berlin, Zuriel Smith, and John Stone.

I don't understand it.

Look at it this way...If every thing in life and/or Patriot World was all wine and roses it would get boring. This Deon issue has brought 100s of people on line with us. If losing these players works out for us then great. If not, like when the Red Sox traded my hero Carlton Fisk it will give us things to whine about for decades to come. It's really a win win situation.

Last edited:
Not that you are to bright but it is because of this little thing called the salary cap. Now if you want to be a Redskin's fan and know that a good portion of your cap is going to dead money than so be it. It is called smart cap management that allows us to gain depth, but for some reason you cannot comprehend the most simplest of things in life.

mikey said:

And yet ...

I don't understand it.

Berlin and Stone are already cut, Smith will not make the team.

And now Caldwells name is being added to the mix of crappy players that have failed with us. He hasnt even played a regular season game for god sakes, rag on the guy when he either gets injured or produces another 20 catch season.

Brown, Jackson, Caldwell and Childress all make the team. Someone else will make it.

Law is already getting burned by recievers. Vinatieri has himself a broken foot, McGinnest is old and Givens will be nada without Brady, we'll see about Branch. Prediction is he goes on IR after one full season.

I have to look at Miguel's pages sometime, I'm curious where it is that the money goes. Seymour and Brady are the only ones I can think of with hefty contracts.

How many of these IDENTICAL threads do we need?

This is getting out of hand, Mikey.

RI Pats Fan said:
I have to look at Miguel's pages sometime, I'm curious where it is that the money goes. Seymour and Brady are the only ones I can think of with hefty contracts.

The thing is that we have more mid-level contracts than other teams. Most teams would have needed to cut players such as Kevin Faulk and Jarvis Green. They both play important roles with the team and neither would probably be here if not for our cap management.

mikey said:

And yet ...

I don't understand it.

Maybe this will help you understand it so you don't have to post this again.

You are looking at the wrong free agents. Try this list:

Vrabel
Colvin
Harrison
Dillon (trade, not FA)
Josh Miller
Patten
Fauria
Hochstein
Izzo
Davis
Chatham
Hawkins
Andre Davis
Tim Dwight
and probably now Seau
Caldwell ?
and probably more names that I am not recalling

Does that make you feel any better ?

Add to that undrafted rookies:
Paxton
Neal
Gay
Wright ?
Childress ?

Add to that 3 veterans from before Belichick/Pioli that they HAVE kept:
Troy Brown
Tedy Bruschi
Kevin Faulk

Add to that 22 draft choices (2000 thru 2005) that are still on the roster from BB/SP draft picks at least 11 of whom are starters (ie HALF of the starters) PLUS whatever rookies contribute to the team from this years draft.

Now you want to critique the losses verus the gains again ? Geeesh.

Last edited:
Don't know about currently but over the past few years the Pats have had the highest # of players making over $1mil. With the cap you can't keep everyone for top dollar.

In addition to Branch we have Graham, Koppen, Samuel and TBC who need to be signed next year. Would you rather (for example, not that it would work out this way) sign theese 4 players and lose Branch or sign Branch and lose these 4 players. Which would leave us with a better team?

These are the types of decisions that have to be made.

mikey said:

And yet ...

I don't understand it.

I do understand.
There is something called a salary cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey