"I don't think we're anywhere near where we need to be"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Just saw this and thought it was funny "I don't think we're anywhere near where we need to be"
Classic quote, you see this and there's no telling what year or what month it is. Look at the post game locker room from every win we've had that wasn't the Super Bowl and he says something like that.
http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...think-were-anywhere-near-where-we-need-to-be/
Begs the question, has Belichick ever thought the team is where it needs to be? Gotta love how BB is never satisfied. Super Bowl is already far behind him. Part of the reason baseball bugs me is that they are popping champagn for friggin playoff appearances. Never satisfied, never flustered. We can only hope BB passes on his traits to whoever takes over next.

Only time the team is where it needs to be is on the Super Bowl Podium ...as it should be.

that would be the only time.:cool:

29906170001_4026792471001_Screen-Shot-2015-02-02-at-1-01-52-AM.jpg

Only time the team is where it needs to be is on the Super Bowl Podium ...as it should be.

that would be the only time.:cool:

29906170001_4026792471001_Screen-Shot-2015-02-02-at-1-01-52-AM.jpg
Still wouldn't be surprised if a mic was given to Bill while he's still got the lombardi in hand and he said, "Ya we were able to make a few plays at the end to get the win but we have to better in all three phases. Plenty of film to go over to get to where we need to be for week 1"

BB is ascending to some very rarified air in the coaching world, because of this and other methods..

Currently, depending on how you count, he is #4 on the all time list right behind Shula(347 total wins), Halas(324 total wins) and Landry(270 total wins)... BB is currently at 233 total wins and counting.. he just passed Paul Brown(222) and Curley Lambeau(229)..

Shula rightfully so is not well liked by us Patsfans, but without regard that is very elite company...

I agree with the general premise of the thread, but I think it's more than obvious that they really aren't anywhere close to where they need to be, especially with the opener only 14 days away.

Luckily for us, there probably aren't many teams who are where they need to be right now either. Belichick coached teams tend to grow as the season progresses, with September sometimes used as our "real" preseason, when the starters are playing and gelling with each other.

I agree with the general premise of the thread, but I think it's more than obvious that they really aren't anywhere close to where they need to be, especially with the opener only 14 days away.

Luckily for us, there probably aren't many teams who are where they need to be right now either. Belichick coached teams tend to grow as the season progresses, with September sometimes used as our "real" preseason, when the starters are playing and gelling with each other.

I agree completely..

These players are only listening to this voice right now.. while other teams are "pumped and jacked" BB continually challenges them and the coaching staff..

May have been part of the downfall of the undefeated season... Hard to drive the "we aren't anywhere near where we need to be" message when you haven't lost a game all year, I would imagine. I mean I'm sure he still pushed it same as always, but I wouldn't be surprised if some overconfidence crept into some players' heads by the time they reached the final game.
I'll chime in here.

Players have said that in 2007, BB drove them harder than any year prior. Since then, some (Vrabel and Bru) have said that the emotional weight of being 18-0 was brutal and the team was a collective stress-case.

BBs psychology was to go Bear Bryant on them. Push them so hard and beat on them for every little thing (more than usual) that they really despised him, but also got them laser-focused on the tiniest of details.

So I don't think they were complacent at the end in 07. I think besides injuries and a Giants pass rush contributing to the loss, they were stressed out and emotionally exhausted. They were running on fumes and BB knew it.

I'll chime in here.

Players have said that in 2007, BB drove them harder than any year prior. Since then, some (Vrabel and Bru) have said that the emotional weight of being 18-0 was brutal and the team was a collective stress-case.

BBs psychology was to go Bear Bryant on them. Push them so hard and beat on them for every little thing (more than usual) that they really despised him, but also got them laser-focused on the tiniest of details.

So I don't think they were complacent at the end in 07. I think besides injuries and a Giants pass rush contributing to the loss, they were stressed out and emotionally exhausted. They were running on fumes and BB knew it.
Good info. I hadn't heard that before myself. It makes sense. After posting what I said, I was trying to think of a player who seemed overconfident in the game but I couldn't... Everyone seemed more exhausted than ****y. Now I know why I guess.

Good info. I hadn't heard that before myself. It makes sense. After posting what I said, I was trying to think of a player who seemed overconfident in the game but I couldn't... Everyone seemed more exhausted than ****y. Now I know why I guess.

Yea there was a well-written ESPN piece and a bunch of ex-players commented on the season. A couple of them intimated that they had peaked too early and during the SB practices they were flat and drained and BB kept them in full pads. However none of them suggested that was the reason that they lost.

Yea there was a well-written ESPN piece and a bunch of ex-players commented on the season. A couple of them intimated that they had peaked too early and during the SB practices they were flat and drained and BB kept them in full pads. However none of them suggested that was the reason that they lost.

Heath Evans also talked about a remarkably bad hotel experience that kept them from being able to rest the night before the super bowl. Sometimes I wonder if the team would have been better served if Bill had just relaxed and let them have more fun before SB 42. Probably could have recharged their batteries.

Good to know... I'm gonna go ahead and delete my post before I get disagree'd to death lol

Heath Evans also talked about a remarkably bad hotel experience that kept them from being able to rest the night before the super bowl. Sometimes I wonder if the team would have been better served if Bill had just relaxed and let them have more fun before SB 42. Probably could have recharged their batteries.

Just dont know. Seemed like for that game and leading up to it what could go wrong did go wrong.

Good to know... I'm gonna go ahead and delete my post before I get disagree'd to death lol
I believe that the 02 team was a little soft. It can happen- even to the Pats.

Still wouldn't be surprised if a mic was given to Bill while he's still got the lombardi in hand and he said, "Ya we were able to make a few plays at the end to get the win but we have to better in all three phases. Plenty of film to go over to get to where we need to be for week 1"
Ha!

I bet the 10 minutes after a superbowl win are the only fleeting moments BB can mentally relax. Good thing he gets to do it pretty often.

(Projected from my armchair)

It's not the crime, it's the cover up. You deserve to be disliked to death now.

Just BB being BB. Honestly the team is pretty close were it needs to be once people are healthy.

In fact the only aspect of our team that really is no where near it needs to be is the OL. That's about it and besides DTs is the only area that can see substantial improvement from now till the post season.

As long as he does Bear Bryant on the OL then we should be fine. Plus, with roster cuts coming up, I think that may give some of these guys the push they need. A lot of them are fighting for their jobs.

he definitely changed strategies this time around. he cancelled the last practice prior to the super bowl.

It's not the crime, it's the cover up. You deserve to be disliked to death now.
I know, if I had just come out and admitted I was guilty then the punishment would be less right? Because that's how society works now? Lol

I'll chime in here.

Tomase might have added a little stress as well. The bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes