PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I dont think we will be major players in FA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Its just a hunch, but I dont think we will be major players in the market..I would love to see a major improvment in the WR, or a major LB addition but there is too much money to be spent out there and a lot more teams have it to spend.. We resign Assante for a yr, we will say good bye to Graham.. We sign some third tier level players , and we wait for the draft..

I think what we do in free agency will show if BB is planning on staying here long term if we see alot of moves for a short term fix that's Kraft knowing BB is gonna look for greener pastures. If we make smart educated signing to help sooner rather than later but with a eye towards the future nucleus of the team then i would think BB goes nowhere.

PS. How much would you love to be able to franchise tag a coach?

Then Again, I could just could be saying this , so I dont get dissapointed, about not getting anybody I want in FA

:rolleyes:
Its just a hunch, but I dont think we will be major players in the market..I would love to see a major improvment in the WR, or a major LB addition but there is too much money to be spent out there and a lot more teams have it to spend.. We resign Assante for a yr, we will say good bye to Graham.. We sign some third tier level players , and we wait for the draft..
belicheck an d pioli arent fools they are going to build the best team they can they know teams are built now and there is nobody who hates losing more than belicheck, would you rather they be like the redskins?

shhhhhhhh ... don't let out the big secret. :D

Depends on what you consider major players? If you mean overpaying for one or two of the main free agents, you are probably right. If you mean signing a bunch of mid-range free agents, I think you will be wrong. The Pats are going to need to spend to get to the cap minimum.

This free agency is shaping up for the Pats to do more what they did in 2001 where they signed a lot of quality, under the radar veterans that people had given up on. I think Adalius Thomas is out of our price range, but I can see the Pats targeting several second tier free agents and some of the veterans cut the last few days.

I don't get why people are assuming the Pats will do nothing. Just because they aren't rumored to sign Thomas, Clements, or some of the other big guys doesn't mean they aren't ready to make some moves.

I think we will be major players in FA, but not necessarily for major free agents.

This team would have made the Super Bowl if the defense stayed healthy. The reason we lost to the Colts was not because we need to replace our starters, but because we need to rebuild our depth on both sides of the ball. We can't afford to have Eric Alexander, Kelvin Kight and Rashad Baker coming into key moments in key games. These guys are good special team playersand nothing more. If you think they're any better than that, then you better lay off the kool aid.

I think our free agent moves focus on quality 2nd string players. Looking at our roster, spots #1-#22 are still among the leagues elite. Fill in spots #22-#40 with some quality. Develop WR depth with Bobby Engram and Kelly Washington. Replace Dillon's power running game with Ron Dayne. Bring back Wiggins and maybe Patten for another round with the team. Sign a #5 LB who could be developed into a starter like Carlos Polk or Jarret Johnson. Let Torry James compete with Chad Scott for the dime back spot.

This approach allows us to enter the draft with no glaring needs, allowing BB to take the best player available with all picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes