Welcome to PatsFans.com

I don't know about you but...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by fleabassist1, Nov 6, 2008.

1. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm looking forward to the Peanut farmers 2nd presidency!

:bricks:
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Luckily I was just a kid when Carter was president. But, it had to be awful for working people. Double-digit inflation, very high interest rates, oil shortages, high unemployment and slow economic growth, a gutted military... I recall some saying later that they really thought it may be the end for the US. I guess I'll find out what is what like now. :scared:
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Another dumb, unsubstantiated statement, based on nothing but paranoia.

Just what IS the criteria for earning moderator status?
  4. BSR

BSR Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

Which part of it is dumb or unsubstantiated? He admitted that he didn't remember it as a kid but his statement certainly does carry some validity, even if not 100% accurate with regards to which rates where high when. His assesment that it was an awful economic time period that began during the Carter adminstration is accurate.

For instance: Historical Inflation rates that clearly show a steady increase during his term.

Historic interest rates, which of course mirror the inflation data.

Here we see the GDP growth rate begin to slump leading us into the early 80s recession.

So I am curious as to why you think he made a "dumb, unsubstantiated statement, based on nothing but paranoia"?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

We are much better today after 8 years of Bush.
    Have to laugh at the people spewing the hate to Obama and referencing the Bush hatred. Eight freakin years of Peter Principle vs two days of Presidential Elect. Sounds about right.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Not to mention the rise of DISCO "MUSIC"!
    [​IMG]
  7. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

If you really wanted a weaker Democratic President to compare him to, you'd be better going with LBJ than Carter since there are much more apt comparisons. Unfortunately, after 8 years of Bush it's fairly silly to be talking about the other sides' "failed" presidencies to try and drum up fears.
  8. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Huh?? Maybe at the end of his term but LBJ, using the power of persuasion and landslide in 1964 got Civil Rights legislation and Medicare legislation thru Congress over the objections of many.....He was hamstrung at the end by Vietnam and a looming guns and butter mentality that led to the 70's inflation but I wouldn't even put LBJ and Carter in the same sentence....
    I was 20 when Iran took the embassy hostages and Carter immediately ruled out military action (great way to take all your options off the table) and even then I knew they were going to be held for a long time...because they had nothing to fear....
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  9. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

If you compare the hawkishness of LBJ and Carter, Obama's rhetoric on foreign policy is much more aligned with LBJ's. Obama hasn't questioned any aspect of American foreign policy or even the legality of the Iraq invasion and the WoT, but rather framed the discussion in terms of strategic mistakes. Republicans might want to fantasize that Obama is going to radically change America's foreign policy, but that hasn't got anything to do with what he's said, and there's certainly no indication beyond Republican rhetoric that Obama would be any more succeptible to an Iranian hostage crisis than any other President. For more info read this:

The United States Has Essentially a One-Party System, Noam Chomsky interviewed by Gabor Steingart
  10. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

mea culpa. I thought you were comparing Carter to LBJ.................
    Actually I don't think Obama would be like Carter on a hostage crisis because ( I hope) he's learned the lessons of the past....
  11. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

$10 tillion dollar debt. show me where that was budgeted and is part of an "economic cycle"
  12. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

5 trillion here, 5 trillion there...how did we ever get here. These amounts can go on to infinity and just completely lose all meaning. We're spending all our lives chasing and worshipping something that has absolutely no value at all.