PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Don't Expect Much From Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1) Sure we'll sign enough UDFA's to fill the camp roster.
2) We might make an offer or two to our own free agents (waaaay fewer than normal).
White certainly comes to mind, perhaps G. Warren.
3) We'll see if there is any value out there at OG and OLB.
4) We'll look for camp competition at WR and RB.

This could all be done in a week or two. There are no NEEDS. That is, the team is ready to go without any free agency at all. Sure, we can ALWAYS use upgrades. However, because of the timing, (and because we've added 30 players in the last 3 drafts), we have never needed free agency less.

Once we have a CBA, what I see as much more interesting is whether we use the opportunity to extend players.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them go after a veteran WR, especially one who can stretch the field (Santana Moss comes to mind) and make offers to one of the pass rushers out there (Ray Edwards, Mathias Kiwanuka, Charles Johnson, Jason Babin). If they ended up with Moss and Edwards, that would be a pretty good haul.

Camp competition needs:

QB -- not really, but you always want arms to help the WRs practice
RB/FB --sure
TE -- not really
WR -- sure
OT -- depends on which of Light/Kaczur stay
OG/C -- sure
DL -- maybe, maybe not
OLB -- sure
ILB -- sure
DB -- a little

K -- only because of Gostowski's health
P -- not really
LS -- dunno
Special teams cover/return -- always

Last edited:
Wouldn't be surprised to see them go after a veteran WR, especially one who can stretch the field (Santana Moss comes to mind) and make offers to one of the pass rushers out there (Ray Edwards, Mathias Kiwanuka, Charles Johnson, Jason Babin). If they ended up with Moss and Edwards, that would be a pretty good haul.

I think you are spot-on.

Perhaps it's the BC football fan in me, but I would be ecstatic if they brought it Mathias Kiwanuka to play OLB. I don't think hes played to his potential per se, but I do think he could be effective in this system. Regardless if they bring in MK or not, they are still shy at the OLB spot with only 4 true players at the position (JC, TBC, RN, Moore, Fletcher?)

WR is another position that might be worth it. WW, BT, DB, JE are your WRs. Slater is technically a WR but could be upgraded if they find the right player.

Of course a G or additional vets in the secondary to push the kids are annual exercises in TC for the NEP.

Last edited:
1) Sure we'll sign enough UDFA's to fill the camp roster.
2) We might make an offer or two to our own free agents (waaaay fewer than normal).
White certainly comes to mind, perhaps G. Warren.
3) We'll see if there is any value out there at OG and OLB.
4) We'll look for camp competition at WR and RB.

This could all be done in a week or two. There are no NEEDS. That is, the team is ready to go without any free agency at all. Sure, we can ALWAYS use upgrades. However, because of the timing, (and because we've added 30 players in the last 3 drafts), we have never needed free agency less.

Once we have a CBA, what I see as much more interesting is whether we use the opportunity to extend players.
Why wouldnt we be aggressive to upgrade?
The budget looks like there is room to spend decent money in FA.
When that has been the case, we have gone big. The fact that we have always strained the cap with keeping our own, doesnt mean that is what we do if there is cap/budget room.

If they don't re-sign Light or GWarren, that right there would give us the money to sign at guy in the $5-6MM range easily. Now I don't know how much or who that gets us, but its there nonetheless. I don't see u going after Hali or Lawson at the high end, but Edwards and Kiwanuka should be in that range

I actually disagree with you mgteich. Granted it all depends on the rules of free agency, but I think the Pats could be very active in free agency. I think I believe Karen Guergian's theory that the Pats didn't want to fill some holes during the draft because the lockout may hinder the development of rookies this year. That means Belichick may be looking for guys to make immediate impact via free agency.

I disagree with Mike Reiss' and others assessments that the Pats didn't draft an OLB because Belichick was comfortable with the guys he has. I think he didn't draft one because even under normal circumstance, it will take 2-3 years for the guy to reach his potential. We already are doing that with Cunningham who hopefully will break out this year. He probably didn't want to wait 3-4 years for a guy draft this year since there will probably be no offseason workouts and possibly a shortened preseason. I think he will look for an immediate impact OLB in free agency.

Now the question is what type of free agents will he target. Will he be looking for a splash and go after the marquee names at position of need like Kiwanuka, Cullen Jenkins, Tamba Hali (if the franchise tag goes which is unlikely), Malcom Floyd (if he isn't a RFA) or go after more value guys who might make an impact in a new system. I expect the Pats to sign several guys with at least one being a decent profile guy if not one of the marquee guys.

They should go after Kiwenuka. They already have 2 2's next year, they should give one of them up and sign him if he's not crazy expensive.

I think it really depends on the new rules and the new cap (or lack of either). Tedy believes that what this team lacks at the moment is a touch more veteran presence on defense. If there is a cap there won't be a ton of money available for any FA, but there also will be a lot of potential value FA to choose from on the cap cut market once again.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for.

If they don't re-sign Light or GWarren, that right there would give us the money to sign at guy in the $5-6MM range easily. Now I don't know how much or who that gets us, but its there nonetheless. I don't see u going after Hali or Lawson at the high end, but Edwards and Kiwanuka should be in that range

I don't know if Edwards can convert to the 3-4. He seems to have the tools, but I don't know enough about him to make that call. Kiwanuka seems to be the better call.

I don't know if Edwards can convert to the 3-4. He seems to have the tools, but I don't know enough about him to make that call. Kiwanuka seems to be the better call.
If Eric Moore could convert, why not Edwards?

Kiwanuka had the neck injury last year; that's a little scary.

Charles Johnson from Carolina makes some sense. He's a little short (6'2") but he looks like a pretty decent OLB prospect as well.

If the Pats do not re-sign Matt Light - a very real possibility - then I would expect them to add another tackle via free agency. The amount of money due Nick Kaczur ($3.5 million this year) does not make him an attractive option. The Pats would surely look for another backup offensive lineman that could play tackle as a less expensive alternative.

If Eric Moore could convert, why not Edwards?

Edwards is a lot more expensive so there's a much bigger risk if he can't play well in a 3-4. I think he could-the Vikings do have him playing on his feet and dropping back occasionally, and he has the size.

Kiwanuka had the neck injury last year; that's a little scary.

Charles Johnson from Carolina makes some sense. He's a little short (6'2") but he looks like a pretty decent OLB prospect as well.

It was a bulging disc and that could be healed.

Johnson is franchised and would cost the Pats two firsts.

Not all DEs can convert to OLB.
I know that. What I was saying is Edwards is much more athletic than Moore. I find it hard to believe that Moore could convert to OLB but Edwards can't.

Nothing Belichick does really surprises me anymore, and everything he does reminds me just how little I actually understand about the actual execution of plays on the field as well as how he views things with the team.

With that said, I'd be surprised if they signed a DE, figuring Stroud to be the one move made for that position, combined with Ty Warren coming back. To me, the DE position is the key for them on defense. It seems like their approach is in passing situations for the DE to occupy blockers and free up space for the edge rushers or blitzers (Vrabel, Colvin, Jarvis Green, Tedy) to bring pressure. I'm not optimistic that Stroud will be an upgrade for them; I'm more hopeful that one of the younger players steps up, but that is very clouded now due to the labor situation.

On the flip side, I'd be surprised if they didn't at least make an attempt to upgrade at OLB, and of the players I'm familiar with on other teams, Kiawanuka and Johnson I think make the most sense as targets. My thinking is that they look to "recreate" Vrabel, Colvin, and Jarvis Green so in looking at the possible free agents I've done what I could (to my grossly limited ability!) to see who matches those guys in height and weight if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back