PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I don't care.I can't stand it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not here to bash NE i think they have a good team and are indeed a threat. Im not really a trash talker on forums. I generally lurk with an occasional comment. I just wanted to make a remark about the jets game.

And I doubt anyone on this board questions that Denver is playing extremely well, has an extremely talented team, and is a legitimate SB threat, perhaps even favorite at this point. It's the implication that the season is essentially decided, or that there is one way to build a team, that some find offensive.

Sometimes I wonder if some fans have a college football mentality when it comes to the NFL. They see a team like the Patriots going against a 1-5 Jets team, and assume that means they should crush them, like they're Alabama playing Appalachian State. Honestly, the difference between the best roster in the NFL and worst roster in the NFL is pretty small. Most games, even the blowouts, come down to a handful of plays that - had they gone the other way - could have drastically swung the game.

The game where the Pats beat the Jets 45-3, I believe there were a few 4th down conversions that were made by about a fraction of an inch. Those get broken up, suddenly it's a short field and maybe the Jets stick around. These are not math formulas playing out, where you see a Patriots roster rated at 88 overall in Madden versus a Jets roster rated at 78 and can deduce the appropriate number of points to win by.

I'm not saying we shouldn't break down what went wrong, what can improve, etc. Just that people seem to think a win only counts if you cover the spread, or that how a team plays in October versus opponent A has ANY bearing on how they'll play in January against opponent B.

It's the implication that the season is essentially decided, or that there is one way to build a team, that some find offensive.
Wrong again! They still have a chance as long as they make the playoffs. The warts on this team show up in the playoffs.
When you got guys like Sanders and Welker running up and down the field all night compared to undrafted free agents and undressed 2nd round pick. With a ton of money under the cap i think I got right to be pissed.
By the way i was going to Pats games before the best part of a lot of you were left running down mamas leg.
So don't question my loyalty. most of you guys come out the generation of pink hats.
i was freezing my ass off watching 2-14 teams.

I'll leave this thread on this.
The powers that be who make up this roster could have done a better at putting this team together with the money they have to spend. I never said it was an exact science or it is easy.
Those who don't see it are delusional.
Go Pats!!

So don't question my loyalty. most of you guys come out the generation of pink hats.
i was freezing my ass off watching 2-14 teams.

I do question your loyalty. You come across like an entitled 2 year old.

I've been watching the Pats since Jim Plunkett was drafted. Plenty of bad seasons in there.

Ken should thank him. 2 posts after he spells out the problem with this thought process, a poster offers a fine illustration of his concerns.

The Pats are 5-2. The Donkeys are 5-1 and playing the Bolts next week. If the Bolts win, does that make them the 94 Niners, capable of destroying all other teams in the NFL? Precisely how is this Broncos team different than the one the Seahawks embarrassed in the one game that really mattered at the end of last season? You would imagine common sense might temper any response to the regular season Broncos after that thumping. But no. Best . . . team . . . eva.

Precisely how? Well...seems straightforward enough to me. Aquib Talib. TJ Ward. Emmanuel Saunders. Demarcus Ware (7 sacks in 6 games). Each one of those is an upgrade over last year. Doesn't mean they can't be beaten, but to claim that it's the same team the Seahawks blew out is delusional.

I'll leave this thread on this.
The powers that be who make up this roster could have done a better at putting this team together with the money they have to spend. I never said it was an exact science or it is easy.
Those who don't see it are delusional.
Go Pats!!

Many will agree wit you that some of the choices could have been better. I'm all for questioning decisions. But, IMO:

1. Spending money does not guarantee success. I think that's been shown pretty frequently in the salary cap era.
2. Spending on big name free agents seldom translates into championships. Spending judiciously on guys who fit well is an entirely different matter.
3. Questioning decisions with the benefit of hindsight (such as Mayo getting hurt) isn't fair. However, it's certainly fair to question the wisdom of how thin we were at LB going into the season.
4. Judging the result after 7 games is premature. We won't know whether the roster is adequate or not until the end of the season. And not winning the SB does not mean that the roster was inadequate - look at 2007.

I think this team is far more talented than the 2001 or 2011 teams. Whether it is talented enough, or able to play to its talent well enough, is still an open question.

Last edited:
We was with the Raiders to sign a contract when Belichick called him. He basically walked out on the Raiders and jumped on a plane to fly to New England.

Visiting them does not equal having an agreement with them.

I don't remember the particulars, but was there anything more than that?

Last edited:
This is a contender for worst thread of the year.

After Real World's pumping up of Tuna's accusations against BB's "treachery" over the weekend, I would say this is what happens when Politics Forum creatures make their rare forays into talking Patriots football.

It's like Night of the Living Dead when the gravestones are tipped over and the zombies start walking into town........:D

The game where the Pats beat the Jets 45-3, I believe there were a few 4th down conversions that were made by about a fraction of an inch. Those get broken up, suddenly it's a short field and maybe the Jets stick around. These are not math formulas playing out, where you see a Patriots roster rated at 88 overall in Madden versus a Jets roster rated at 78 and can deduce the appropriate number of points to win by.

I'm not saying we shouldn't break down what went wrong, what can improve, etc. Just that people seem to think a win only counts if you cover the spread, or that how a team plays in October versus opponent A has ANY bearing on how they'll play in January against opponent B.

Not to mention that same Jets team obliterated the Patriots in Foxboro in the playoffs 2 months later.

I wonder if Patrodamus even recognizes that or does the regular season game override the playoff game?

Wrong again! They still have a chance as long as they make the playoffs. The warts on this team show up in the playoffs.

....as opposed to the reigning World Champion Denver Broncos!!!!

Pardon me Professor Einstein. You think a 27 point victory is less impressive than a 26 point victory.
Please explain professor. I got all day.

27 point shut out I might ad.

It's football, not accounting.

They win the SB every time they win. Pats on the other hand when they win a close game you get posts like "They're going nowhere in January" or stuff about the draft of free agency. And when they lose a game you you'd think they were the raiders or jaguars.

Only with about 5% of the board.

This is a very lofty goal, but I want our team leaders to have enough talent in place to regularly compete for a title. In a 32 team parity-driven league, it is probably silly to even expect THAT much.

In 2004 we had amazing talent top-to-bottom. We won a nail-biting, flip-of-the coin Super Bowl thriller.

In 2007 we had amazing talent top-to-bottom. We lost a nail-biting, flip-of-the coin Super Bowl thriller.

One strange thing I've noticed about being in the five nail-biting, flip-of-the coin Super Bowl thrillers that we have been in: people put an awful lot of significance into the order of events with respect to winning 3 straight flip-of-the-coin Super Bowls before losing 2 straight flip-of-the-coin Super Bowls.

5 games, all decided in the last minute, many of which had some fairly improbably plays contributing to the result.

Missed opportunities and capitalized opportunities, it is going to be a mixed bag, most likely.

If I flip a coin and get (heads, heads, heads, tails, tails) it doesn't mean that the heads side of the coin suddenly started sucking after the third flip. Repeat the games and maybe you get (tails, tails, heads, heads, heads), or whatever.

Excel to get there now and then and also don't play uncompetitively once you get there. Certainly don't have your QB forget the snap count on the first play of the game!

I want to keep getting there and am happy that team leadership is doing just that. I'd like a comfortable Super Bowl win, or any Super Bowl win frankly, but all the exceptional talent one might gain with perfect 20-20 hindsight doesn't even guaranteed that.

Last edited:
Visiting them does not equal having an agreement with them.

I don't remember the particulars, but was there anything more than that?

Word was he agreed to a deal and then Belichick and Shanahan called last minute. Rodney blew off both the Raiders and Broncos for the Pats.

Many will agree wit you that some of the choices could have been better. I'm all for questioning decisions. But, IMO:

1. Spending money does not guarantee success. I think that's been shown pretty frequently in the salary cap era.
2. Spending on big name free agents seldom translates into championships. Spending judiciously on guys who fit well is an entirely different matter.
3. Questioning decisions with the benefit of hindsight (such as Mayo getting hurt) isn't fair. However, it's certainly fair to question the wisdom of how think we were at LB going into the season.
4. Judging the result after 7 games is premature. We won't know whether the roster is adequate or not until the end of the season. And not winning the SB does not mean that the roster was inadequate - look at 2007.

I think this team is far more talented than the 2001 or 2011 teams. Whether it is talented enough, or able to play to its talent well enough, is still an open question.

At least 50% of all football decisions can be questioned, criticized, and argued. 99% of them have some better way to have handled it in hindsight.
Yes, the Patriots, like every team in every sport, do not make perfect decisions.
No one knows the future. It is much like investing money. No matter how much analysis is made, everyone who makes a living picking stocks gets some wrong, and make less than the perfect decision 99% of the time.

Word was he agreed to a deal and then Belichick and Shanahan called last minute. Rodney blew off both the Raiders and Broncos for the Pats.

Rob, you're one of my favorite posters, but "word was" doesn't cut it. Is there anything more concrete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes