PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I congratulate Peyton Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had Manning been MVP, it would've been possible to squeeze him in the goat conversation. However after what i saw today (13 of 23 pass for 141 with a passer rating of 56), this win doesn't elevate him much. A Trent Dilfer like performance. If anything it solidifies Brady and Montana as the better quarterback.

Good analogy

When Denver beat us, I was really upset and just hated the Broncos. I wanted nothing more than a Panthers victory. Watching the game though, I had a hard time rooting for the Panthers. I was just sort of indifferent.

Manning is a likable guy. He's pretty humble, he's doesn't take himself too seriously (i.e. in lots of light-hearted commercials), and he's one of the most productive quarterbacks in NFL history. What he said to Belichick/Brady after AFCCG was great. Rivalries are great, but a rivalry doesn't preclude demonstrating good sportsmanship; this is why I don't feel guilty acknowledging Manning or respecting him.

There are a lot of people I hate in the league. (For example: Russell Wilson is faker than a pair of silicone tits, and his coach is an arrogant prick.) Manning is not one of them though. I think he's a class act, and I really am okay with him. Him winning it all was a great way to end his career.

I think Manning is the regular season GOAT, and I think that Brady is the postseason GOAT. (this generation's Marino and Montana) Manning's regular season crown is kind of hollow though, because in the end winning is all that matters. This is why I think Brady is indisputably above Manning all-time.

Manning was more along for the ride than a factor in this Super Bowl run.

Funny his 2 victories we two of the worst performances by a winning teams QB.

2006 - playoff run that resulted in his 1st super bowl championship, Manning had 3 touchdowns & 7 interceptions.

2015 playoff run that resulted in Peytons 2nd Super Bowl, Peyton had 2 touchdowns & 1 interception.

Peyton has to have the worst 2 playoff runs by the winning QB of the Super Bowl.

5 touchdowns & 8 interceptions over 6 games in his two Super Bowl championships playoff runs.

Congratulations Peyton, your team carried you.

Trent Dilfer was more productive.

Last edited:
I don't hate Manning ... do not understand the hate for him in this forum.
I do like to crack on him ... congratulations to him for doing what was needed to win.
Man was accused of having a huge ego ... and it's big ... but he learned humility and got a ring out of it.
From looking at it from an outside non bias perspective, it's actually a pretty neat story.

When Denver beat us, I was really upset and just hated the Broncos. I wanted nothing more than a Panthers victory. Watching the game though, I had a hard time rooting for the Panthers. I was just sort of indifferent.

Manning is a likable guy. He's pretty humble, he's doesn't take himself too seriously (i.e. in lots of light-hearted commercials), and he's one of the most productive quarterbacks in NFL history. What he said to Belichick/Brady after AFCCG was great. Rivalries are great, but a rivalry doesn't preclude demonstrating good sportsmanship; this is why I don't feel guilty acknowledging Manning or respecting him.

There are a lot of people I hate in the league. (For example: Russell Wilson is faker than a pair of silicone tits, and his coach is an arrogant prick.) Manning is not one of them though. I think he's a class act, and I really am okay with him. Him winning it all was a great way to end his career.

I think Manning is the regular season GOAT, and I think that Brady is the postseason GOAT. (this generation's Marino and Montana) Manning's regular season crown is kind of hollow though, because in the end winning is all that matters. This is why I think Brady is indisputably above Manning all-time.

He sexually assaulted a girl in college, outright lied about it, and cost her a high paying job by bad-mouthing her in a book of his. He also looks extremely shady so far with the HGH story; if you've been following it.

But... classy and likable guy!
Come on, man. And the way he whores himself out with no shame in being a massive corporate shill is embarrassing.

He, his family and PR team have had the media by the balls for his entire career, crafting that whole "classy guy/best QB" image that's been etched into the minds of the naive, impressionable general public.

Manning accomplished nothing this year and did nothing to deserve a 2nd SuperBowl on to his resume.

Pedton winning this ring was a travesty.

Last edited:
Congrats to Peyton, now onto 2016.

It was a perfect game for me. A great QB gets to go out on a win which is a good thing but he can't be considered on a par with Brady after that weak performance. And the arrogant upstart gets humiliated. It couldn't really have been scripted better as a game.

If it weren't for hacks like TJ Ward also getting a ring I'd be ok with that.

That being said I said it on another thread already but unfortunately everyone will talk about Denver's supposedly suffocating defense but not mention how unbelievably lucky they were to even end up in the playoffs and win any of the games. Statistically speaking this has to be a run for the ages in terms of convenient turnovers in a span of 19 games. Some were earned, many were just the opponents being stupid.

Can't lose a game if your opponents keep shooting themselves into their feet.

With Manning it's really hard to separate the actual person from the carefully crafted image in the public by his PR department using narratives and commercials. And frankly, you are falling for it right there. I don't understand how you can call Russell Wilson a faker while calling Manning "humble" and a "class act".

A humble guy and a class act doesn't throw his offensive line under the bus after a game in which he himself played less than stellar ("I'm trying to be a good teammate here. Let's just say we had protection issues."). He also lit up Jeff Saturday on the sidelines once after Saturday suggested that they should run the ball more (after they had three incompletions at the goalline) suggesting that it was the offensive line's fault for the incompletions ("When we call pass plays, block!"). He called Mike Vanderjagt "Our idiot kicker" in public while making fun of him (okay, Vanderjagt calling out Manning's leadership abilities was uncalled for especially since Vanderjagt is a choke artist himself, but still). I don't care about Manning, but seeing it unfiltered I have a tough time to believe that he is as good a guy as is said by the media - and that's before factoring in this sexual assault story.

As for Manning itself, his legacy is pretty much set if you don't give a damn about the narratives spun around him by his PR department: One of the best QBs of all time who lacks the mental strength and leadership abilities to make it to the top. He's always needed the team to carry him, like in 2006 when he had the worst playoff performance by a Super Bowl winning QB ever, or this year with his arm totally gone.

That Super Bowl cements his legacy even though he didn't play a part in it, you can't say anything about him not winning enough anymore 2 Super Bowls and 5 MVPs and his numbers put him above pretty much everybody not named Brady and Montana.

It's unrealistic to "expect" any quarterback to win more than 2 rings, it would of been an underachievement if someone with his talent and level of play didn't win more than 1.

No more debates about him not being a top 5 quarterback, that's the major thing that's changed, was never going to catch Brady after last year.

I find it ironic how the greatest passer in NFL history won his two Super Bowls by basically being a passenger on the bus and not the driver.

Nonetheless, he made some plays in each SB to help his team win.

Now he needs to retire. He is Johnny U in 1970

PM had a great career. It is nice that he got to win in his final game. A good ending to a great career. It was obvious by his performance that he had zero to do with it. He got dragged across the finish line.
He knows that deep down inside. That's good enough for me.

Can't lose a game if your opponents keep shooting themselves into their feet.

I hear ya', although an objective look at most NFL championship runs would find similar things happening for the eventual champs. There's always "luck" involved, even our coach acknowledges that.

I'm going to follow Belichick's lead on this, because as an outsider looking in I can know almost nothing for certain. He seems to have great respect for Manning, and speaks to him and of him that way in every clip and quote I've seen. That's the most significant evidence I can find.

I hear ya', although an objective look at most NFL championship runs would find similar things happening for the eventual champs. There's always "luck" involved, even our coach acknowledges that.

No question and the Ravens and their 3rd & 27 conversion against San Diego in 2012 is the best example of luck. But looking at the Denver games this year I gotta say that they had an improbable amount of turnovers bouncing right into their hand. Look I am not saying they dont deserve it because in the end they made the plays they needed to but this team was a few bounces away from being 8:8 which is mindblowing for me.

He sexually assaulted a girl in college, outright lied about it, and cost her a high paying job by bad-mouthing her in a book of his. He also looks extremely shady so far with the HGH story; if you've been following it.

But... classy and likable guy!
Come on, man. And the way he whores himself out with no shame in being a massive corporate shill is embarrassing.

He, his family and PR team have had the media by the balls for his entire career, crafting that whole "classy guy/best QB" image that's been etched into the minds of the naive, impressionable general public.

Manning accomplished nothing this year and did nothing to deserve a 2nd SuperBowl on to his resume.

Pedton winning this ring was a travesty.
Oh, nice, the Big Bag Wolf narrative. Patriots are the "Good Guys" and the Broncos are the "Bad Guys". We represent honor and dignity, they represent evil and corruption!

You know the Patriots/Brady's reputation isn't exactly squeaky clean either, right?

I4pTqR1.jpg

Congrats and respect to Peyton.
Good thing for us that he didn't learn earlier in his career that it wasn't all about him...if he had played more selflessly in his heyday, he actually might have done better in big games. But, as people out here have observed hundreds of times, it was always all about Peyton.

Feck Payaton Manning the horse-faced goober, feck the entire Manning family, feck the horse-toothed
Elway, feck the entire Denver Cheating Donkeys organization and their ignorant orange-hat fanboys.
And feck to hell the NYJFL HQ on Park Avenue for doing its part via the zebras for making the travesty
of Sunday night happen.

I don't give a crap either way........if you look past the portion that would appear to be the 'feel good story', he seems like a prick......which is not surprising because his brothers a prick and the old man is a prick

f*ck him, who cares is about as good as it gets from me

I preferred Larry Bird and Dr. J choking each other at center court

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill