PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Ask You.....Is P. Manning Done?

here is the gif that I posted last night. I still can't figure if the knee buckled or if it was a slip.
BIksHp6.gif
I've watched Manning for 18 years, and seen him make his fair share of bad throws. He had absolutely no forward momentem here and there wasn't a pass rusher within 5 yards. It's not his arm that's going IMO. He had some super zip on a few of his passes. Somethings not right with him is correct, but his arm is fine.

As soon as his plant foot hits the turf his hips give way. His foot hit the right spot, he just coulnd't stop the backward momentum. I'm not seeing that sharp, quick hip swivel. I agree with whoever said it may be a thigh, or more specifecally his right thigh (plant leg). If there was a close-up of his face I'm sure you'd see him grimacing.

I love to poke fun at Manning like many here, but I think he's playing through pain. This play is a simple stop-and-pop with great protection. If his mechanics are out of whack he has to be hurt.

That will never happen. Quiting half way through a season would be a disgrace.

I don't see that happening either, but his Colts team did get a pass on quitting on a perfect season. He might think he's teflon enough to get away with it.

he can't be done. he has another 5-6 years left in him if he wants to play in this league. just look at his regular season stats. he will always put top 5-10 stats every year even if he is throwing ducks. no matter how badly he ages, he will still be better than half the league.

will he ever win another SB? now that's the questions we should ask. and my answer is no.

if he starts putting up bad Eli like number? then yeah, he is done.

but all denver has to do is

1. go get manning's terrelle davis (pick RB high or trade for a stud - marshawn lynch wants out)
2. build a beastly oline (they had a good oline, but lately they aren't playing well. draft more oline and throw a dice on incognito)
3. limit manning's throw t0 20-25 times (.... yeah right)

yeah, #3 is almost impossible because we all know how pass happy peyton's team is, but let's say he really realizes that he can't do it alone(like past 5-6 weeks for ex.) then he can completely transform into a game manager. if trent dilfer can win a SB then 40 year old throwing ducks can too.

and i'm hoping Brady to be the same. just build a perfect team around brady and prolong brady's career by limiting his usage.

i wish brady plays as long as he can throw a good seam route. and brady is determined to stick around in this league. maybe till 2020?

Looking at Peytons apparent me first attitude over the course of his career I would not be shocked if he came back next season and plays the first 8 or so games to pad his stats in good weather and in a healthy condition and then quit.

1) it would pad his stats further.
2) it would let him go out on a high (relatively speaking in the sense that he'd be playing great!) and not going out on a low of getting abused and playing poorly late in a season.
3) it'd earn him a few million dollars!

1) this kind of statement make us look bad. i mean why wouldn't any QB wants to put up stats? putting up stats usually mean a big W. we win when brady puts up big numbers 9 out of 10 times. all of us want to see a big stat by brady. and look at broncos record. last time i checked they have 2nd best record in the AFC.

2) even if manning isn't a big time QB in a big time game, he is still better than most QBs in this league. all he has to do is change his philosophy. limit his throws and run the ball. i think manning will be smart about this and change his approach in his final 1-2 years. he knows winning the SB would do so much more for his career than padding stats.

3) i really doubt manning is driven by $$. seriously. at this stage, all he want is 2nd SB to cement his legacy. he knows if brady gets 4 and he is stuck at 1, then there is no argument for him. he knows 2nd SB is all it takes for him to considered the GOAT.

i hope all of you just grow up, and stop bashing manning. i'm a michigan alum and i still can't forgive what phil fullmer did to us back in 97. i despised anything tennessee. i despised manning. but i grew up and learned to appreciate his greatness. manning is all time great. father time is catching quickly, but he will still be top 5-10 QB as long as he plays.

While I agree that he's been "off" and has thrown too many INTs in the second half of the year, if he doesn't throw that pick-6 to Dre Kirkpatrick to seal the game for Cincy, the headlines would be "Manning comes back from 20-7 halftime deficit and puts up 35 points..."

Again...I don't disagree with what you're saying in re: to him tailing off in the second half with 2 losses since the Pats game, but I think it's being blown up a bit too much. That said, I'm definitely enjoying it just as well, since we often have his stats jammed down our throats via every media outlet available.

No doubt that his arm strength has been going for awhile though. That may really be starting to take a bigger toll these days.

The thing is he did throw that pick six and even if he didn't there is no guarantee he wouldn't have sucked for the rest of the night. Other than about five minutes of game time in the third quarter of that game, Manning was awful.

But that is the thing with the media. Let's say when the Broncos went up 28-27 that was the last scoring for the night and Manning played the same way (four INTs) except the two picks didn't go back for scores. The media would ball wash Manning for his massive comeback and even despite the INTs he is ready to carry this team into the playoffs.

But Monday night is what Manning has been for the last seven weeks or so. Flashes of his elite self, but mostly an average to below average QB.

i hope all of you just grow up, and stop bashing manning. i'm a michigan alum and i still can't forgive what phil fullmer did to us back in 97. i despised anything tennessee. i despised manning. but i grew up and learned to appreciate his greatness. manning is all time great. father time is catching quickly, but he will still be top 5-10 QB as long as he plays.

There's still alot of people who don't get why we bash Manning. I don't think there's anyone who doesn't respect his tremendous talents and dedication to the game and work ethic. Nobody's denying he's an all-time great and a first ballot HOFer. We're just not blind to his flaws, and he DOES have them. Coming up short in the postseason consistently is one of them, and it's a major one.

We're human. Deep down, there's a competition between him and Our Guy. We want to see Our Guy come out on top. Can you blame us? But that comes from the respect that we have.

Most of the other bugs we have about Manning (I can only speak for myself, I suppose) are non-football related: The born-int0-football-royalty-silver-spoonism, the commercials, the vague feeling we get that he cares more about personal stats and records than winning championships. Maybe we pick up on those more than other fans because of this long era of competition between him and Brady. And nobody can deny from an objective football fan perspective, it's been amazing and fun to watch.

Watching the game i was like Manning you are an idiot. the underneath was open and he didn't even use Wes Welker, instead he was going to CJ Anderson every time and it was completely obvious. He had his eyes glued to DT and Sanders wasn't going through his progressions

Whether I think he is done/declining rapidly or not hinges on whether or not he's injured.

Whether he's injured or not it's still a decline. The video on here showing his right knee buckling tells me he's declining fast. At his age he won't be bouncing back either. It'll be a great excuse for the Peytonites though.

Whether he's injured or not it's still a decline.

No, it's not. If he's injured, and that's the reason his play has dropped, he's just injured. As others have pointed out, he was playing quite well prior early on.

I'm a big fan of Mankins and loved him as a Patriot but even I understood why they made that deal and supported it, and in retrospect it was cav heist by the Patriots. Great move by Belichick.

As for Patradomous and all those who cried like little girls in September they have been proven wrong as usual and have no credibility whatsoever when it comes to commenting on this team.

The most "crying" I see is coming from Pats fans concerned with the OL. I haven't seen a Mankins post on here in ages.

Anyway, back to PMoney (that used to be Peyton's pet name at Indy, no really, honest it was).
I say he's D-O-N-E DONE! Put a fork in him.
Peydone Manning.

No, it's not. If he's injured, and that's the reason his play has dropped, he's just injured. As others have pointed out, he was playing quite well prior early on.

If he's injured his play doesn't decline? What about old age, does that count as declining?

Weeks 1-8 (7 games)

174 for 252 (69%)
2134 yards
22 TDs
3 INTs

QB rating - 119

Weeks 9-16 (8 games)

200 for 308 (65%)
17 TDS
12 INTs

2320 yards
QB rating - 89.75

So he is declining. I thought so. ;)

Surprised that people are blaming it on his arm. 2 of those nits were horrific decisions, especially the botched screen Kirkpatrick INT. Had nothing to do with his arm. Had everything to do with Peyton panicking and choking.

It must be an injury to his brain that has him making mistakes on his reads now. Yeah, that's it. It's a brain injury.

If he's injured his play doesn't decline? What about old age, does that count as declining?

Playing poorly because of injury is not an overall decline, which is obviously what's being discussed in this thread.

He will be done after next year..he wants to hold all the records and it will he fun to watch his arm yet again next year!

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back