PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I am really pulling for Josh McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like Josh McDaniels, as a person and i have to respect that he is trying to do things he's way by replaceing troubled stars with hard working rookies will this work for him i don't know.

i will say this i don't think he is a great OC denver was only ranked 15th in offense last year with marshall, haveing a 3rd of the rec and yerds in the passing game.

Brian Billick, who set the points record that the pats broke with the vikings was never able to find a real QB in 9 years and the ravens offense never ranked higher then 14th under him.

my point is this McDaniels, Career is now in tim tebows hand if he becomes a star. then josh will look great brady and moss got him the job in denver and now it's up to tebow to help him keep it.

somebody has to get marshall the ball........15th with orton as your QB is pretty damned good....I thought it was a very successful first season for mcdaniel given how things were looking before the season

The problem here is that BB worked his way up to the top very slowly- took him 30 years to do that, and along the way he learned what to do and what not to do. He had vast experience by the time he took over the reins.

McDaniels did not have this process. He went to the top relatively quick. I think we will see him make a lot of mistakes before he finds his place. I just hope that the ownership will give him the necessary space for the growing pains. He does have the desire and IQ to succeed. Just not much room for error, the way things are in the NFL, these days.

Agreed.

McDaniels seems like the kind of coach that, if he ever does well, does well in his second HC job. He'll make mistakes and learn from them and kick ass... in NE after BB retires?

I'm pulling for him, too.

If Tebow doesnt work out, how is that any different than the other half of the 1st round picks in that area of the round that fail?
Its a calculated gamble, and the consequence of losing it isnt really that severe, teams that make a bad first round pick here or there win too.

The consequences are likely to be quite severe for JM - first round QBs who fail usually end up getting their coaches fired.

Last edited:
I would like to see McDaniels succeed too, just somewhere else. I despise the Broncos, but unfortunately, if their patient with him in Denver:rolleyes: then he'll build them to be very good for a while.

Why the hell can't a team like Detroit hire McDaniels so then I can really root for him?

Last edited:
Why are you giving me all these what if's? If the Pats didn't blow it Denver, Denver still would've been eliminated from wildcard contention.

Only giving what ifs to prove how bad your prediction was that the Broncos were going be one of the worst or the worst teams last year.

When was the last time Cutler had a good defense and wasn't playing catch up? When you can't trust your defense, your going to take a lot of risks.

How often does Peyton Manning have a good defense in his career? Did San Deigo have a good defense last year or even a running game? It didn't stop Philip Rivers from carrying the Chargers to 13 wins.

I have never seen a QB have as many excuses made for him than Jay Cutler. The guy had tons of yards BECAUSE he was throwing so much and the team was playing catch up. You go beyond his yards and TDs (lack of a running game inflates that stat too) and his metrics are pedestrian. He has a great arm and a ten cent head. Whether he could ever become an elite QB in this league, there was no way he would do well in McDaniels' system. He needs to be in a system where he can throw the ball around and hope they can overcome his mistakes.

First of all, I don't hate McDaniels because I don't know the guy.

You clearly hate McDaniels the coach/coordinator, not McDaniels the person. From previous posts, you clearly think he wasn't even a good coordinator and don't think he does anything right. I mean I hate every Jets player and I am sure that plenty of them are great guys. There is difference between hating a pro athlete or coach for who they play or coach for or how they play or coach and hating them personally.

Second, I don't understand what you were trying to say in bold because I wasn't trying to act like I was right. I was saying I made a prediction last year and I'm sticking to it.

Part of your prediction has already been proven dead wrong, but you stand by it. More power to you. As for him being fired in three years, that typically isn't Pat Bowlen's style and we don't know how much some of these personnel discisions were soley McDaniels' decision. He is not the GM.

Of course their not the worst team in the league because their record says otherwise. However, I still think they have one of the worst rosters in the league(if not the worst).

I would disagree with one of the worst rosters in the league, but as pointed out that makes him a pretty good head coach.

But whether he can repeat Belichick's success or not, this is what Belichick did in 2000 and 2001. He allowed some of the Pats best players go (Terry Glenn, Chad Eaton, Chris Slade) and rebuilt the team with perceived inferior players (David Patten, Roman Phifer, Bobby Hamilton) who fit his system better. I see a lot of parallels to Denver now with the Pats of the early 2000s. Not saying that McDaniels will come remotely close to the success, but he is following Belichick's blueprint. Sometimes you gotta get worse in the short term to get better in the long term.

Last edited:
Josh Mcdaniels got:

2009 First Rounder
2009 Third Rounder
2010 First Rounder
2010 Second Rounder
2011 Second Rounder

For Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler. Talk about addition by subtraction! He has some brains.

However as a drafter, this turned out to be:

Robert Ayers
Richard Quinn (trading with steelers with that pick)
Demaryius Thomas
Tim Tebow (lots of trading later)
2011 2nd TBD

I know you can't tell this early, but it seems like he didn't do so well with those picks.

Josh Mcdaniels got:

2009 First Rounder
2009 Third Rounder
2010 First Rounder
2010 Second Rounder
2011 Second Rounder

For Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler. Talk about addition by subtraction! He has some brains.

However as a drafter, this turned out to be:

Robert Ayers
Richard Quinn (trading with steelers with that pick)
Demaryius Thomas
Tim Tebow (lots of trading later)
2011 2nd TBD

I know you can't tell this early, but it seems like he didn't do so well with those picks.

Kind of hard to say the 2010 picks were failures when they haven't even played a down of football yet. Yes, Ayers and Quinn had less than stellar rookie seasons, but Thomas and Tebow shouldn't be judged at all yet since right now all we have is personal opinions on whether they were good picks or not. For all we know they could this generations John Elway and Rod Smith.

The consequences are likely to be quite severe for JM - first round QBs who fail usually end up getting their coaches fired.

Not really. Top 3 QBs maybe, but what if Tebow never starts. How is that different than drafted a DL that never worked out?

Not really. Top 3 QBs maybe, but what if Tebow never starts. How is that different than drafted a DL that never worked out?

The accompanying media and fan attention.

I wish him all the best, he was all we could've hoped for as an OC imo. Last year we really missed him I thought. That said, until a coach from the BB tree actually breaks the tide of HC failures, I don't have great expectations for any of our guys post-NE. He had a decent first season but if the team doesn't improve over the next 3-4 years, it really won't surprise me.

You seem like a good guy, Archives. You and DW Toys, I disagree with each of you 187% of the time, but I'd like to grab a beer with you.
How does everyone know that I was formally THEARCHIVES? Not like I'm trying to hide it because I was but I just find it funny. For anybody that cares, I changed my name because I got tired of it and I'm making fun of everyone in Southern California that talk like "hey bro.....what up dude?" Anyways, I'm flattered you'd want to grab a beer with me, even though you disagree with everything I say. :)

Last edited:
How does everyone know that I was formally THEARCHIVES? Not like I'm trying to hide it because I was but I just find it funny. For anybody that cares, I changed my name because I got tired of it and I'm making fun of everyone in Southern California that talk like "hey bro.....what up dude?" Anyways, I'm flattered you'd want to grab a beer with me, even though you disagree with everything I say. :)

Mostly b/c your avatar is so wacky, it's hard to forget. Plus it's perfect for someone who likes to stir up the pot a bit. :D

Mostly b/c your avatar is so wacky, it's hard to forget. Plus it's perfect for someone who likes to stir up the pot a bit. :D
I forgot about that, I'm the only one with the Patrick Bateman avatar.

I do like Josh and what he has brought to Denver..MORE team oriented than the I, I, I of many hyped stars, but I can not just 100% wish him the total best. I DO like the way he handled the snotty Cutler and for good or bad, I think that was needed...although when he was pumping his fist skyward after beating his mentor..all I thought was that he better enjoy that when that happened for it wa sgoing to be way tough..and it was as Denver went down hard. I think many want to get the gold because they were part of the BB tree..but who has been successful?? I agree I wish better in college than teh pros..THAT I would back 100%. I tend to think BB is has many many facets and these that were with him only see a portion...which might be why success has not followed.
With Josh, it's a real gamble of Tebow..his legacy there is tied to TT and..I wish him luck with that, but I am not overly optimistic.

I'm actually not sure how I know, I think it's just common knowledge. Is your avatar actually the same now as before?

If he starts explaining the social significance of Huey Lewis and the News I'm gonna vomit...

You should see my new business cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back