Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I really hope he succeeds, not so much for his tie to the Pats and BB, but because of the approach he has taken.
Cutler had a .500 record and acted like he should be bowed down to. No matter what you criticize McDaniels for in his handling, there is absolutely no doubt Cutler felt an entitlement that I can't see how he earned, unless the goal is to amass statistics whether you win or lose.
Marshall, and who knows the real story, was judged by the coach to not be a team player, to the extent he was benched for the final game of the season with the playoffs on the line. The message was be that guy and we don't need you, no matter how good you are.
Now he drafts Tebow. I don't agree with the pick personally, but its clear to me that McDaniels is saying "I need MY own Brady" and "Brady" is from the heart and the head. I think there is no doubt that IF McD can teach Tebow the fundamentals and develop the physical skills to an average or above level for NFL QBs that he has a guy with the attitude and mentality to win.
I don't really commend the pick, but I commend the thinking behind it. The question is that if its as much a long shot as it seems did McD shoot himself in the foot by tossing away a valuable pick on a guy who will never make it?

But, my point is, its great to see a coach walk in the door and say we are going to do things the right way, play as a team, work together, prima donas, there is the door.
Its the most publicized effort in a long time of putting team over individual glory, or putting character over talent. For all that is right, I hope it works.

Spot on.

He's getting flak from all sides, but he's doing things his way.

Gotta respect a young coach who sticks to his guns. Kudos to the organization for letting him do so. If Tebow doesn't work out, we may find out just how patient they are.

Gotta respect a young coach who sticks to his guns. Kudos to the organization for letting him do so. If Tebow doesn't work out, we may find out just how patient they are.

Not only sticks to his guns, but has the right bullets in them. I can't stand the newly popular pander to the player coaching style.

I don't disagree with the post at all.

I just wouldn't bet any $ on him being in Denver in a couple years. He staked his whole career on the Tebow pick and I don't see the kid ever becoming a big time QB.

I never understood why he got so much crap by Pats fans. I think we saw last year how good he really was by his absense. He was an excellent offensive coordinator and I hope for him he turns into an excellent head coach (not too excellent since he is in the AFC).

If he does fail in Denver though, I hope Belichick hires him back.

Not only sticks to his guns, but has the right bullets in them. I can't stand the newly popular pander to the player coaching style.

Players' coaches are usually a lot more interactive with the media. If the media likes you, they will defend you to the end. When you take the Belichick style and don't give the media much like McDaniels' does, they spin every move against you especiallly if you aren't winning.

I really hope he succeeds, not so much for his tie to the Pats and BB, but because of the approach he has taken.
Cutler had a .500 record and acted like he should be bowed down to. No matter what you criticize McDaniels for in his handling, there is absolutely no doubt Cutler felt an entitlement that I can't see how he earned, unless the goal is to amass statistics whether you win or lose.
Marshall, and who knows the real story, was judged by the coach to not be a team player, to the extent he was benched for the final game of the season with the playoffs on the line. The message was be that guy and we don't need you, no matter how good you are.
Now he drafts Tebow. I don't agree with the pick personally, but its clear to me that McDaniels is saying "I need MY own Brady" and "Brady" is from the heart and the head. I think there is no doubt that IF McD can teach Tebow the fundamentals and develop the physical skills to an average or above level for NFL QBs that he has a guy with the attitude and mentality to win.
I don't really commend the pick, but I commend the thinking behind it. The question is that if its as much a long shot as it seems did McD shoot himself in the foot by tossing away a valuable pick on a guy who will never make it?

But, my point is, its great to see a coach walk in the door and say we are going to do things the right way, play as a team, work together, prima donas, there is the door.
Its the most publicized effort in a long time of putting team over individual glory, or putting character over talent. For all that is right, I hope it works.

Since Maverick is no longer around, I'll say this. Although I'm a McDaniels 'hater'--think he left one year too early, think he's arrogant, and can never forgive him for his classless display after the Denver game last year--I can't really argue with much that you posted. Except how do you know that it was McDaniels' and not the GM/Ownership's decision to draft Tebow in the first place or that the plan is for Tebow to be their Tom Brady? The natives were extremely restless in Denver after last season and who's to say that it was a sound football decision and not more of a PR move?

I guess if anyone can develop Tebow as a QB, it's McDaniels, but I'm in the camp that says Tebow won't be able to make the jump to the NFL as a QB.

Ultimately Josh's fate is going to rest on how well the Donkeys play this year and next. If they suck [which I think they will, unless Josh pulls out some kind of Wild Horses miracle offense where Tebow is a key cog] McDaniels will get the axe, regardless of his methods.

The problem here is that BB worked his way up to the top very slowly- took him 30 years to do that, and along the way he learned what to do and what not to do. He had vast experience by the time he took over the reins.

McDaniels did not have this process. He went to the top relatively quick. I think we will see him make a lot of mistakes before he finds his place. I just hope that the ownership will give him the necessary space for the growing pains. He does have the desire and IQ to succeed. Just not much room for error, the way things are in the NFL, these days.

It doesnt even matter if he fails. Tebow has paid for the mistake literally(major jersey sales).

Besides our own division, the afc west looks like it is going to be extremely competitive this year. I dont expect the chargers to go 13-3 again.

The problem here is that BB worked his way up to the top very slowly- took him 30 years to do that, and along the way he learned what to do and what not to do. He had vast experience by the time he took over the reins.

McDaniels did not have this process. He went to the top relatively quick. I think we will see him make a lot of mistakes before he finds his place. I just hope that the ownership will give him the necessary space for the growing pains. He does have the desire and IQ to succeed. Just not much room for error, the way things are in the NFL, these days.

Different eras. Back when Belichick was starting out, it was near inconceivable that a team would hand over the reigns of their team to a guy without 20-25 years of experience. There were exceptions like John Madden, but back then the perception was that you needed a guy who had been in the position for a few decades.

Today, you guys with a decade worth of experience or so are getting head coaching jobs all the time. There is a rush to find the next hot head coach. Unlike ten years ago, a head coaching candidate who has already been a head coach (unless he has Super Bowl rings) is considered a retread and should only be considered by teams no one wants to go to like Buffalo or Oakland. Today, head coaching experience is a disadvantage.

You can't blame McDaniels for the time he is in. Ten years ago, he would never had been a head coaching candidate so quickly. Ten years from now, a guy like McDaniels could have to wait another ten years before he would be considered for a head coaching job.

I have no love for the Donkies or their fans, but it's hard not to agree with Andy's logic. Granted McDaniels goofed by letting it get out he was looking to get Cassell, but the way Cutler reacted you'd have thought he'd caught Josh banging his mom or something. The freakin' owner of the franchise calls him and he still won't answer his phone? Grow up.

I know a Bears fan here at work and he can't stand Cutler, says if Cutler doesn't show some serious skills at the start of this season a lot of Bears fans are going to want him benched.

I agree with OP, I really like the way McDaniels has gone about things. It seems like even Brandon Marshall likes the guy even as he was asking to be traded. Josh did a good job of working out a trade with a decent team that agreed to a new contract with Marshall. It seems like after the trade there was no ill well between them.

conversely he may have chased out the two biggest assets the team had and overspent on alphonso smith and tim tebow.

there is no guarantee the tebow and demaryius show will amount to much and the defence initially prospered under mike nolan before fading badly, now he is gone so who is to say an old and patchwork defence is going to do better this year?

credit to him for having the balls to try to make it his team but wins are the thing and he badly needs them this year.

Pretty much my sentiment, as much as I would like him to succeed he has not spent enough time in the trenches... he will eventually do well, but not convinced that this is the time..

He does not have much "capital" as he never really won anything, except distinguishing himself as an offensive coordinator, if things do not go well this year he may be in trouble..

For purely selfish reasons, I would prefer BB's students to excell at the college level. :) The more roots in college the BB tree gets, the more inside, trusted college soucting information that can be harvested. It's too bad Weiss didn't work out at ND.

Pretty much my sentiment, as much as I would like him to succeed he has not spent enough time in the trenches... he will eventually do well, but not convinced that this is the time..

He does not have much "capital" as he never really won anything, except distinguishing himself as an offensive coordinator, if things do not go well this year he may be in trouble..

The key is will the Broncos win the games they are supposed to win. If they wind up 8 and 8 but lose twice to the Raiders, things could get dicey.

conversely he may have chased out the two biggest assets the team had and overspent on alphonso smith and tim tebow.

there is no guarantee the tebow and demaryius show will amount to much and the defence initially prospered under mike nolan before fading badly, now he is gone so who is to say an old and patchwork defence is going to do better this year?

credit to him for having the balls to try to make it his team but wins are the thing and he badly needs them this year.

Assets have little value if by their very existence they drag down the performance of the rest of your portfolio. Josh got good value for two players who didn't fit the system or scheme he is intent on installing. Just like they wouldn't have fit here in the same system.

As for taking Tebow at all let alone too soon, I personally didn't think he could change his mechanics significantly because most QB's struggle to. But most QB's have egos and cling stubbornly to what they believe got them there. Josh (and Bill) seem to believe that this kid is egoless as well as tireless and driven when it comes to his desire to advance to the next level as a QB. And I believe what Josh said recently is there is more than one mechanical formula for success, and he's just the kind of outside the box kid to figure he can work with whatever Tebow can be coached to consistently deliver.

As for Nolan, wait 'til he persists in doing it his way on Tuna's staff... I read a comment recently that struck a cord with me. One way to improve a pass rush is to strengthen the secondary because it allows the coordinator to send more rushers... Josh may have felt that Nolan was actually exposing his secondary by becoming blitz happy. Kind of like what Dean Pees did here one night in early 2008... In the absence of the kind of top tier DE/OLB talent this team may yet be lacking in a spot where he could nab it, BB chose to strengthen his secondary with his first round pick this draft... Hmm...

I also read some speculation that the holdup in signing Bulger as a backup in Chicago may be tied to the GM's reluctance to give Martz his own guy as a veteran backup he could potentially utilize to bail the offense out if Cutler keeps performing like Brett Favre coming off a 3 week bender. Because Angelo is the one on the hook for the Cutler trade and extension...and it would be easier for him to get Martz and Lovie canned and buy himself another season if he can shift blame for continued failure off his QB...

I find myself pulling for McDaniels as well.

Partially because he was such a good soldier when he was here. But mostly because he's such a polarizing figure with the media, and fans. It just FEELS like they all want him to fail, just because he comes from the New England system.

I agree. I live in Denver, and it seems that most of the time I'm rooting for him more than Broncos fans are. Fans here have been so fickle. They've gone from hating him for the Cutler thing to loving him for a 6-0 start last year to hating him for the decline after that 6-0 start. If anyone can do anything with Tebow, I believe McDaniels can. Hopefully we will get to beat him in the AFC Championship game for many years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes