PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I Am Feenying Bad For Some Analysis..

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirtsleeve

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I flipped my work schedule and slept thru the game today so I can work all night tonight. To make matters worse, the game was not televised locally so I cannot watch the recording...:mad::bricks:

So I am feenying bad for details, sweats, shakes, spiders!:eek:
Can you hook a guy up?

What defensive fronts did the Pats employ?
What coverages?
Did they use a lot of sub packages?

On offense, what formations? What kind of drops was Tommy takin?

Details, Please!?! I hate missing games when I gotta pick up that extra shift...

There's at least a dozen people (including you) that are far better than me in breaking games down, but one thing I noticed was the Pats seemed committed to moving laterally on offense. That decision seemed to be a good one, going away from strengths on the Ravens defense, maybe a bit of over-pursuit, and then afterwards make them a half-step tentative. This was accomplished most noticeably by a couple of end-arounds, but also by quick sideline passes (as opposed to quick inside slants, which they seemed to be more prepared for and expecting.)

The defense started out by once again failing to stop one third and long after another, but that changed in the second half. Perhaps someone else can step in and better explain why the D was able to accomplish that; I was too busy cheering and high-fiving to notice the details at that point.

Thanks.
Lets be glad of the win. It seems that the D managed to make the right adjustments in game, and the O did the same late. Just from the highlight stuff I see on the mediot outlets.

This is cursory at best because I was just enjoying the game, and frankly I can't see enough at gamespeed on TV cast to call out coverages, ect. What I can say is that the win was really 01-04. Clutch play when it counted despite a few drops and sloppy play early. A few mental mistakes but they got the ship righted in the late 3rd/4th.

Defensively, Cunningham was a monster and Oher was having a nightmare with the guy. So much so he was drawn offsides by the presence. He looked really, really good against both the run and the pass. Spikes had likely his best game of the season and seemed to be taking real pride in his run defense. He was engaging and driving blockers back, enabling Mayo to come swinging in on the flow-to plays. On his flow-away plays he was keeping his backside contain until it was time to make a play. Then he would kick into a high gear and go make it. Great inside backer play all day long. McCourty continues to look like a stud, Chung was his normal playmaking self. Meriweather was ok in general but made some pretty stupid plays out there. It's pretty clear to me by now that he's a knucklehead.

Very generally speaking there was a lot of 34, Wilfork and Warren switched between 0 and 5 for a bit. They ran some pretty vanilla sub stuff when they were in obvious passing situations. It seemed like pretty generic defenses augmented with some nice blitzing and coverage calls. It was nice to watch. They had five consecutive stops and a few 3 and outs as well, FWIW.

Offensively they struggled to hit their rhythm for a while. They continued to do the same ole nonsense for a little bit, and got put into some really bad situations through mental and physical errors. They generally seemed out of synch as they continued to work the short game without utilizing the numbers of the field. As the game progressed, they mixed in some more stuff like reverses and began to work the numbers and seams. The tight ends began to become more used as the game progressed. Then, in championship Patriot fashion they kicked into high gear with Branch coming up huge when needed mixed in with doses of Welker. Woodhead looked phenominal as well.

Gostkowski was great all day and Mesko drilled a 65 yard punt that setup a 3 and out and the ensuing game winning drive. It was a great win that showed mental toughness, physicality, and grit.

Last edited:
This is cursory at best because I was just enjoying the game, and frankly I can't see enough at gamespeed on TV cast to call out coverages, ect. What I can say is that the win was really 01-04. Clutch play when it counted despite a few drops and sloppy play early. A few mental mistakes but they got the ship righted in the late 3rd/4th.

Defensively, Cunningham was a monster and Oher was having a nightmare with the guy. So much so he was drawn offsides by it the presence. He looked really, really good against both the run and the pass. Spikes had likely his best game of the season and seemed to be taking real pride in his run defense. He was engaging and driving blockers back, enabling Mayo to come swinging in on the flow-to plays. On his flow-away plays he was keeping his backside contain until it was time to make a play. Then he would kick into a high gear and go make it. Great inside backer play all day long. McCourty continues to look like a stud, Chung was his normal playmaking self. Meriweather was ok in general but made some pretty stupid plays out there. It's pretty clear to me by now that he's a knucklehead.

Very generally speaking there was a lot of 34, Wilfork and Warren switched between 0 and 5 for a bit. They ran some pretty vanilla sub stuff when they were in obvious passing situations. It seemed like pretty generic defenses augmented with some nice blitzing and coverage calls. It was nice to watch. They had five consecutive stops and a few 3 and outs as well, FWIW.

Offensively they struggled to hit their rhythm for a while. They continued to do the same ole nonsense for a little bit, and got put into some really bad situations through mental and physical errors. They generally seemed out of synch as they continued to work the short game without utilizing the numbers of the field. As the game progressed, they mixed in some more stuff like reverses and began to work the numbers and seams. The tight ends began to become more used as the game progressed. Then, in championship Patriot fashion they kicked into high gear with Branch coming up huge when needed mixed in with doses of Welker. Woodhead looked phenominal as well.

Gostkowski was great all day and Mesko drilled a 65 yard punt that setup a 3 and out and the ensuing game winning drive. It was a great win that showed mental toughness, physicality, and grit.

Thanks again. That helps a bit. I figured this was a game for the base 3-4. Interesting to see some breakdowns!:popcorn:

Hopefully the game will be on NFL Replay during the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes