Status
Not open for further replies.

crew1954

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
When Welker cost the Bronco's the game>

Ahhhhh yisss.

It reminded me of the SB and I laughed my butt off tonight when he dropped passes that his team really needed him to catch.

Hat-tip to you for properly capitalizing the German noun!! :rocker:

People oft forget about Welker's drops in big games... he dropped a few last night.

When I first read this I thought it said "Goldschlager" or "Jagermeister" to which I would have said....Oh hell yes....MORE than a Little!!!! Big boozing night last night watching this roller coaster.....on the topic....I agree mostly because Wes was a little ***** in the way and reasons WHY he left New England...and the fact that the deal he left for was worth about the same overall. Today a little Karma came back to bite him.....

People oft forget about Welker's drops in big games... he dropped a few last night.

Yeah it was weird when the announcers made a big deal out of him dropping the ball, like its never happened before.

Hat-tip to you for properly capitalizing the German noun!! :rocker:

It just has a better ring to it than its English counterpart, epicaricacy ( and easier to pronounce too).

The first one was his fault. The ball hit him in the hands. The second one was on Manning with the bad throw (though it wouldn't have been a first down even with a good throw). In all, the onus for the Broncos should be on Manning. He really didn't have a good game at all and his lack of arm strength was severely evident in OT.

Well said! :)

Though I never have any grudge against WW, I was smiling at how things turned out on his return to Foxboro.

The ironic thing is the one game so far where you can say the loss of Welker definitely affected the outcome of a Patriots game this season was a win against Denver.

Welker dropped crucial ones last night, BUT Amendola also had a drop.

How can you not love these lines?

Wes Welker: 4 receptions for 31 yards and 0 tds, 2 punt returns for a 6 yard average

Julian Edelman: 9 receptions for 110 yards and 2 tds, 2 punt returns for a 13 yard average

(My daughter has been asking for an Edelman jersey. I'm increasingly tempted to indulge her.)

Wes Welker is so good*

*At making critical mistakes at crucial points during big games.

I haven't read through the threads, but are people blaming him for not waving off the guy who accidentally touched the ball? I thought that might have been his fault based on the way he trudged off the field after that play occurred. I actually thought he gave us the game that way rather than the drops.

I haven't read through the threads, but are people blaming him for not waving off the guy who accidentally touched the ball? I thought that might have been his fault based on the way he trudged off the field after that play occurred. I actually thought he gave us the game that way rather than the drops.

It seems like many in the national media are blaming Welker for not waving Carter off earlier; Cris Collinsworth during the game and someone on NFLN during the post game was saying the same thing. The USA Today link below includes video of that critical play.

Wes Welker once again helped Tom Brady beat Peyton Manning | For The Win - USA Today

Wes Welker once again helped Tom Brady and the New England Patriots defeat Peyton Manning, except this time he was wearing a different jersey. The Patriot-turned-Bronco was responsible for a fumble late in overtime that helped the Pats cap the biggest comeback in team history.

Welker makes the “poison” call to alert teammates to clear out of the punt’s path, but it’s made too late for Tony Carter to hear. If you watch the replay, you can see Carter flinch a moment before the ball hits him, presumably because of Welker’s call. If Welker made up his mind earlier, Carter and the other Broncos likely would have had time to get out of the way. Given the lateness of Welker’s decision, “Carter never had a chance,” as Cris Collinsworth said on NBC.​

Wait, you're telling me the Broncos-Patriots game ended like that? | FOX Sports on MSN

But ultimately, it was a guy most of use never heard of who ruined the ending this one seemed destined for, essentially handing New England a 34-31 win in OT.

What a game.

It's a shame it had to end on such a goofy play.​

Then there is this... :rolleyes:

Wes Welker-Patriots Conspiracy Theories | Muffed Punt OT Broncos | SportsGrid

That’s gunner Tony Carter running into the ball after not hearing returner Wes Welker try to call him off. It was an egregious and totally avoidable error that Welker took responsibility for after the game, saying he was “a little bit in between” on making the call to clear out.

So there are two prevailing theories as to what happened here:

Wes Welker and Tony Carter are double-agents for Bill Belichick.

Saying that Welker helped the Patriots win again is the prevailing headline for many sports blogs and Twitter users this morning (FTW: “Wes Welker once again helped Tom Brady beat Peyton Manning). Perhaps it goes even deeper than that, as the “Bill Belichick Double-Agent Theory” is a real thing, with lots of examples, and not even Welker saying that seeing his old coach again would be the most awkward thing possible can throw us off the scent of conspiracy. Plus, Tony Carter is also a former Pat.

Wes Welker is still feeling the effects of the concussion he suffered last week.

Though Welker was cleared to play this week, we are now more aware than ever of the way concussions affect the brain. Welker’s slowed mental capacity could have played a role in both his communication (not calling off his blockers more decisively, not making a fair catch himself) and his multiple drops.

Personally, I’m leaning more towards the second theory, but either idea is possible. Of course, we won’t discuss the fact that Peyton Manning had just 150 yards passing, or that the Broncos lost three fumbles (plus an interception), because they don’t fit neatly into this narrative.​

And some Bronco fans are understandably still in overreaction mode, much like this place is after a loss:

Do you cut tony carter before he gets on the plane? - The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community

Last edited:
It just has a better ring to it than its English counterpart, epicaricacy ( and easier to pronounce too).

Never heard that one before.

On the other hand, I grew up somewhat bilingual in German. :)

I went over to the Broncos Boards and I was somewhat surprised at the lack of hate for the Pats in the comments.

I guess I'm just conditioned to the over the top douchebaggery on JI and Gang Green boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes