PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I actually heard this the other night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
...I can't even remember if it was the Patriots game (it might have been one of the other NFL replay preseason games), but this is more or less how the conversation went, not exaggerating:

Commentator A: Wow, another flag. This preseason has certainly had too many flags.

Commentator B: Well you know, we saw last year in the Super Bowl, Peyton sure had a lot of trouble against that physical Seattle defense.

Commentator A: Yes, he did. That unit was able to jam those Denver receivers. Still, the league really needs to do something about all of these flags; it is hurting the fan experience.

Commentator B: But there's nothing the fans want more than to see Peyton get another ring.

Commentator A: You're right.

I kid you not, both of the commentators with a straight face were agreeing that the entire league rule changes are justified so that one player can win a Super Bowl (of course, ignoring the obvious fact that other quarterbacks facing Manning should theoretically get the same eased passing rules.) It isn't enough that Manning was able to throw for 55 TDs and break the yardage record; we also need to make sure that when his receivers are actually given a worthy opponent (so that they are no longer open by 20 yards or able to win every jump ball), the rules will still allow Peyton to dominate every game. I am truly disgusted that this rule change was blatantly enacted as a countermeasure against what happened in the Super Bowl, a game where a team actually showed the game can be won by other ways than throwing for 400 yards.

It's so hard not to hate Manning, as much as I try. I think he's an amazing player and seems like a good spokesman of the sport, a legend of the game, but how can you possibly stay level headed in the midst of such lunacy?

It was the Patriots game and they said, "Well in 2004 the Patriots defense was too physical for Peyton so they changed the rules, fast forward to 2014 and the Seahawks defense was too physical for Peyton so they changed the rules again. The LEAGUE wants to see Peyton win.."

Was the opening poster the guy who cleared out Rows 34 and 35 in Section 113 with a Pro-Bowl caliber display of regurgitation? It was spectacular. It was also impressive to watch Security descend on that guy from every angle for simply becoming nauseated by blatant Manning ball-washing. The NFL is shameless.

It's so ironic that the average NFL fan believes that Brady is a whiny whistle-blowing rule changer because of "the Tom Brady rule", which is basically a preventative measure against defensive players trying to tackle QBs from the ground. The rule wasn't even put in to be a competitive advantage for quarterbacks; it is just logical that a quarterback's eyes are down field, so it is all too easy to suffer a major lower leg injury while stepping into a pass. Meanwhile, for the second time, Manning has lobbied the NFL to change fundamental rules in the game, so that he can lose 43-15 instead of 43-8 next season.

I also have always found it amusing that Manning is now the game's model citizen for how to lose with grace and class. Some lady wrote an article to the NYT last year immediately after the game about how Manning was so unbelievably humble and a great loser, and that she wants her children to follow his example. That's funny, because after the game, it was reported that he was snippy with reports, blew off some politician, and let's not forget the "protection problems" comment a few years back (not a big deal, just the only time in NFL history that I can remember a quarterback throwing his teammates under the bus at a press conference.) Look, I realize that Brady and Belichick can both be jerks when they lose; I'm not saying that they handle themselves with complete class; both of them have been known to skip handshakes and snub reporters. But, how is it that Manning has claimed every imaginable superlative by the media, including "classiest loser" when he is, in fact, not a classy loser. Why can't the national media say these things about someone like Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers, or one of other hundreds of players who have never actually disproven the notion that they handle losing well?

The "Tom Brady Rule" is a misnomer, its the
"Carson Palmer Rule" which came into effect the following year after he
was taken out 10 min. into his first PO game

So a few days ago everyone here hated the commentators because they where flat out awful. But as soon as they say something anti Manning they suddenly turn to a bunch of guys who knows what they are saying?

What people miss is other QBs benefit from this emphasis. And Aquib Talib is just as suspect to this emphasis as Brandon Browner. No guarantee that Mannung even sniffs the Super Bowl.

So a few days ago everyone here hated the commentators because they where flat out awful. But as soon as they say something anti Manning they suddenly turn to a bunch of guys who knows what they are saying?
And as soon as they say something anti-Manning trolls like you get your flowered panty thongs in a bunch.

Although the rule changes should help all QBs, most of Manning's passes come out pretty quick, giving less opportunity for holding in the secondary. It seems likely that QBs like Rothlisberger who can extend plays would benefit more from the increased number of flags.

If this trend continues, defenses are going to get a lot more aggressive, gambling more and spending a lot more money trying to get after the QB. I wonder if the league has truly considered the consequences of this "emphasis".

I doubt 'everyone here' bothered to so much as comment, so maybe you're exaggerating? The populace of Patsfans have varying opinions.

Besides that, I don't understand your point? what does pointing out this 'anti-Manning' (which it's not) message have to do with the quality of commentating on NFL games?

What strikes me about the new Manning rules are their effect on Revis.

Maybe these are anti-Revis rules as much as pro-Manning.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that conversation was between Paul Perillo and Andy Hart, two Patriots homers, so I would take what they say with a huge grain of salt. Not saying there is or isn't truth to what they're saying, just saying consider the source before you get all riled up, i.e. as Patriots backers, they're supposed to be anti-Manning.

What strikes me about the new Manning rules are their effect on Revis.

Maybe these are anti-Revis rules as much as pro-Manning.

I think these rules will not bother Revis. Arrington uses speed more than his body too, so I doubt he's worried. Browner and Dennard might both find things frustrating, but it is what it is. Adjust or sit.

I heard the same thing. It seemed to me more an acknowledgement of what prompted the rule change/emphasis from the announcers, not an endorsement of the reason behind it.

Although the rule changes should help all QBs, most of Manning's passes come out pretty quick, giving less opportunity for holding in the secondary. It seems likely that QBs like Rothlisberger who can extend plays would benefit more from the increased number of flags.

If this trend continues, defenses are going to get a lot more aggressive, gambling more and spending a lot more money trying to get after the QB. I wonder if the league has truly considered the consequences of this "emphasis".
After thinking about this a little more, if the hyper flagging continues, I predict an increase in the spread offense. Coaches will be trying to get as many guys running in the secondary as possible. This could literally kill the sport.

All of these flags are flying around because of what Seattle did to Denver in the superbowl, but in the Seattle v San Diego game the other day only 15 flags were thrown. 8 on Seattle. 7 on SD.

Are we sure Seattle is getting the message that this is the Year of the Forehead?

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that conversation was between Paul Perillo and Andy Hart, two Patriots homers, so I would take what they say with a huge grain of salt. Not saying there is or isn't truth to what they're saying, just saying consider the source before you get all riled up, i.e. as Patriots backers, they're supposed to be anti-Manning.

Can anybody explain to me what Andy Hart and Paul Perillo did to deserve being locked up in a windowless room with faux leather recliners whenever football is on TV? It looks worse than Guantanamo in there.

Can anybody explain to me what Andy Hart and Paul Perillo did to deserve being locked up in a windowless room with faux leather recliners whenever football is on TV? It looks worse than Guantanamo in there.
LOL, and if the conditions are bad they're also deserved.

The worst part is they are amplified and we have to hear their desperate cries for help. For the love of gawd, at least turn off the microphones and let them suffer with dignity!

The worst part is they are amplified and we have to hear their desperate cries for help. For the love of gawd, at least turn off the microphones and let them suffer with dignity!
Are you really implying that Paul Perillo had some dignity at one time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes