PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical Trade- Victor Cruz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Before commenting, realize that I know this is very unrealistic, and likely will never happen.

But let's say Cruz and the Giants can't agree to a deal and they put a 1st round tender on him. Would you trade for him??

I do have a question along with this, how exactly does the RFA system work?? Isn't it whichever team offers a higher offer and the team that has rights to the player decides not to match the offer loses the player??

if the two teams offer the same amount and years the player has to go with his former team

if the two teams offer the same amount and years the player has to go with his former team

So I'm correct in saying if the team that's going after the player offers more (say, Pats offered Cruz more than the Giants did) They would get the rights to the player??

I'd rather sign Danny Amendola as an UFA.

So I'm correct in saying if the team that's going after the player offers more (say, Pats offered Cruz more than the Giants did) They would get the rights to the player??

Assuming we're talking about via the RFA rules, no.

The way it works is that the suitor team signs the player to an offer sheet. The old team then has seven days to either match the offer sheet (i.e., let the suitor team determine the contract) and keep the player, or not match it and receive draft pick compensation.

One interesting note is that the new CBA prohibits poison pills: no more "the entire contract is fully guaranteed if the player plays five games in the state of New York" clauses.

It's infinitely more likely to happen than Mike Wallace last year.

Still not something I'd do. For all the complaints about Welker's drops, Cruz dropped a higher percentage of his catchable passes.

Hypothetical signing - Wes Welker.

It's infinitely more likely to happen than Mike Wallace last year.

Still not something I'd do. For all the complaints about Welker's drops, Cruz dropped a higher percentage of his catchable passes.

Yeah, I'm not sure he's consistent enough to win TFB's trust. He'll disappear for a couple quarters, dropping passes and having general mental lapses. He can be explosive, but I think he'd be a poor fit on the Pats.

"Win TB's trust" is a phrase that should be eradicated. The point of playing team sports is to trust your teammates. One should not have to earn an individual teammate's trust when already on the field.

Why? The guy has averaged 10.5 games a year in his career and has played a total of 12 games the last 2 seasons.
He'd be a cheaper acquisition allowing the team to dedicate resources elsewhere to upgrade the team.

Amendola will be fine. He needs his bones chilled by that Mass weather. ;)

too many mental mistakes/drops..no thanks

What if we throw Jake Ballard in as well....I mean Coughlin would probably just love that idea :rolleyes:

"Win TB's trust" is a phrase that should be eradicated. The point of playing team sports is to trust your teammates. One should not have to earn an individual teammate's trust when already on the field.

That's nonsense. The only place a player ultimately earns the trust of his teamates or his coaches is on the field. Any trust you earn off the field as in practice simply gives you the opportunity to get on that field and prove you can earn trust when it matters which is on it. If you then don't, you are off it pdq. And that isn't limited to WR's...

That's nonsense. The only place a player ultimately earns the trust of his teamates or his coaches is on the field. Any trust you earn off the field as in practice simply gives you the opportunity to get on that field and prove you can earn trust when it matters which is on it. If you then don't, you are off it pdq. And that isn't limited to WR's...

It's not nonsense at all, I see it as a big problem. Earning one's place in the lineup is different from earning the trust of one single player on the team. There are 31 other quarterbacks in the league and I have never heard of any receiver having to earn their trust while it is a constant theme with Brady. He is not THAT special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes