PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical Terry Glenn question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoostation

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know this is purely hypothetical and I'm not sure it should be posted here, but watching Terry Glenn tonight reminds me of how gifted a talent he is. He just made a one handed catch in the corner of the end zone. The ball was behind the defenders back and he snatched it in with one hand while high above the ground. He has always run great routes and he has amaizing hands and very good speed. I know he’s been a major head case in the past, but I’ve heard he’s grown up a bit. He would arguably be the number 1 receiver here (even with Branch back).

The easy answer to the question is f&^k Terry Glenn. But honestly, if it were possible would you take him back?

Last edited:
Trade for him? No. Would I mind re-signing him if he was cut after the season? Sure, he can still play.

zoostation said:
I know this is purely hypothetical and I'm not sure it should be posted here, but watching Terry Glenn tonight reminds me of how gifted a talent he is. He just made a one handed catch in the corner of the end zone. The ball was behind the defenders back and he snatched it in with one hand while high above the ground. He has always run great routes and he has amaizing hands and very good speed. I know he’s been a major head case in the past, but I’ve heard he’s grown up a bit. He would arguably be the number 1 receiver here (even with Branch back).

The easy answer to the question is f&^k Terry Glenn. But honestly, if it were possible would you take him back?

As gifted as he is, Glenn has never played up to his potential. He's not a BB type of guy, I wouldn't want him back.

He always had the talent. When I used to watch him play for Ohio State, I often thought he looked a lot like Lynn Swann. A lot of diving catches, tip toe catches, and great body control. I actually was hoping the Pats would get him in the draft of course my wish came true, but I remember someone saying on ESPN that the Pats made a mistake, and that Marvin Harrison would be the best WR out of this draft. I wish I could remember who it was, but it was a great call.

Anyway, Glenn isn't a youngster anymore, but still an excellent talent, and seems to have been reborn under Parcells. I would take him back, but I doubt Bill & Bill would agree on a trade, or BB would take him back.

Interesting watching Bethel Johnson on New Orleans, I read somewhere (I don't have the link) that Bethel is in danger of being cut, would the Pats and their fans take him back ?

Tunescribe said:
As gifted as he is, Glenn has never played up to his potential. He's not a BB type of guy, I wouldn't want him back.

He's not a Parcels guy either....but he took him back. Tom Brady would drool at the chance to have him as a weapon. TB has never had a receiver as talented as Glenn. Not sure if they were on the field together in 2001 but Tom Brady of today and Glenn would light up the scoreboard together.

It really does appear that Glenn has taken some strides since leaving New England; but as already noted, he was a major disappointment for the Patriots. He was unreliable, whether it be due to injury or attitude. That being said he seems to make a good #2 in Dallas.

...and no, I have no interest in him returning to New England.

scott99 said:
I remember someone saying on ESPN that the Pats made a mistake, and that Marvin Harrison would be the best WR out of this draft. I wish I could remember who it was, but it was a great call.

Good point. Also, Keyshawn was the number 1 pick that year.

zoostation said:
He's not a Parcels guy either....but he took him back. Tom Brady would drool at the chance to have him as a weapon. TB has never had a receiver as talented as Glenn. Not sure if they were on the field together in 2001 but Tom Brady of today and Glenn would light up the scoreboard together.

They played together for one half in 2001, and they lit the Chargers up!

He had like 7 catches in 1 half.

Brady and Glenn were hooking up like nobody's business. If Glenn could have just kept his head together those two would still be locking up.

I remember Glenn commented about Brady after the game when asked how he was getting so open on his receptions from Brady. Glenn said "I realy wasn't that open".

Glenn was such an unbelievable talent, but such a dumbass at the same time!

zoostation said:
Good point. Also, Keyshawn was the number 1 pick that year.

Actually, wasn't Johnson the number one pick Parcel's first year with the Jets the year after Glenn was drafted?

sarge said:
They played together for one half in 2001, and they lit the Chargers up!

I remember the Charger game because I was of of town and I had to find a sports bar to watch it. When I found the place I almost had to beg the owner to put the Pats game on. He finally put the game on a small TV in the back of the bar.

Now that you say that I remember Glenn having a huge game against Flutie and the Chargers. But the thing that stood out the most for me watching that game was what a beast number 37 for the Chargers was. I made a comment to the guy next to me about him being a kamikaze on the field. BB saw it too as two years later number 37 was in our defensive backfield.

Last edited:
sarge said:
Actually, wasn't Johnson the number one pick Parcel's first year with the Jets the year after Glenn was drafted?

No Keyshawn was there already

1 Keyshawn Johnson Jets WR USC
2 Kevin Hardy Jaguars LB Illinois
3 Simeon Rice Cardinals DE Illinois
4 Jonathan Ogden Ravens OT UCLA
5 Cedric Jones Giants DE Oklahoma
6 Lawrence Phillips Rams RB Nebraska
7 Terry Glenn Patriots WR Ohio State
8 Tim Biakabutuka Panthers RB Michigan
9 Rickey Dudley Raiders TE Ohio State
10 Willie Anderson Bengals OT Auburn

Marvin went 19th in the 1st round

sarge said:

Keychain was the #1 pick in 1996, and I believe Glenn was #7 overall in the same year. Glen caught 90+ passes as a rookie and the Pats went to the SB with Parcells as coach.

scott99 said:
Interesting watching Bethel Johnson on New Orleans, I read somewhere (I don't have the link) that Bethel is in danger of being cut, would the Pats and their fans take him back ?

Sure. Trading Bethel Johnson for Sullivan and Bethel Johnson.... I'll take that trade. :rocker:

sieglo said:
Sure. Trading Bethel Johnson for Sullivan and Bethel Johnson.... I'll take that trade. :rocker:

I bet Sullivan get's cut, so it'll be Bethel Johnson for Bethel Johnson.

Painful Bethel reminder, we selected Bethel Johnson instead of Anquan Boldin.....damnnnnn....

PK(OVR) TEAM NAME POS SCHOOL
1(33) Cincinnati ERIC STEINBACH OG IOWA
2(34) Detroit BOSS BAILEY OLB GEORGIA
3(35) Chicago CHARLES TILLMAN CB LOUISIANA LAFAYETTE
4(36) New England EUGENE WILSON CB ILLINOIS
5(37) New Orleans (from Arizona) JON STINCHCOMB OT GEORGIA
6(38) Dallas AL JOHNSON C WISCONSIN
7(39) Jacksonville RASHEAN MATHIS FS BETHUNE COOKMAN
8(40) Minnesota E.J. HENDERSON MLB MARYLAND
9(41) Houston (from Baltimore) BENNIE JOPPRU TE MICHIGAN
10(42) Seattle KEN HAMLIN S ARKANSAS
11(43) St. Louis PISA TINOISAMOA OLB HAWAII
12(44) Washington TAYLOR JACOBS WR FLORIDA
13(45) New England (from Carolina) BETHEL JOHNSON WR TEXAS A&M
14(46) San Diego DRAYTON FLORENCE CB TUSKEGEE
15(47) Kansas City KAWIKA MITCHELL MLB SOUTH FLORIDA
16(48) Buffalo CHRIS KELSAY DE NEBRASKA
17(49) Miami EDDIE MOORE OLB TENNESSEE
18(50) Carolina (from New England) BRUCE NELSON C IOWA
19(51) Denver TERRY PIERCE MLB KANSAS STATE
20(52) Cleveland CHAUN THOMPSON OLB WEST TEXAS A&M
21(53) NY Jets VICTOR HOBSON OLB MICHIGAN
22(54) Arizona (from New Orleans) ANQUAN BOLDIN WR FLORIDA STATE
23(55) Atlanta BRYAN SCOTT SS PENN STATE
24(56) NY Giants OSI UMENYIORA DE TROY STATE
25(57) San Francisco ANTHONY ADAMS NT PENN STATE
26(58) Indianapolis MIKE DOSS SS OHIO STATE
27(59) Pittsburgh ALONZO JACKSON DE FLORIDA STATE
28(60) Tennessee TYRONE CALICO WR MIDDLE TENNESSEE STATE
29(61) Philadelphia L.J. SMITH TE RUTGERS
30(62) San Diego (from Green Bay through Philadelphia) TERRENCE KIEL S TEXAS A&M
31(63) Oakland TEYO JOHNSON WR STANFORD
32(64) Tampa Bay DEWAYNE WHITE DE LOUISVILLE

Obviously Boldin has had and will have a better career but Bethel did make several big plays for us in our 2003 Super Bowl run. The kickoff return to end the half at Indy could have very well given us home field advantage that season, considering how the game came down to the wire the way it did. He also had that opening TD against the Titans in the playoffs.

I guess I'm just weird like that. What if we didn't have A. Harris back in 2001? Would someone else have been there to get the lateral from Troy Brown on that blocked punt? Would someone else have forced the Proehl fumble in the Super Bowl which set up our 14-3 halftime lead?

I guess for me, if we win it all and someone did at least one significant thing during the season, I'm happy with them, no matter what they do afterwards.

Not that Boldin doesn't look very good to me right now but no regrets on my part.

With the state our WRs are in right now, hell yes I would take him back.

If I'm Bethel's agent, I'd have to sit him down and have a state of the union talk. He has the million dollar talent, but his ten cent head is killing his career.

Didn't the QB in North Dallas forty tell the WR that there's more to the game of football than catching the ball????

Clearly Bethel missed that memo.

Terry Glenn td catch

i have seen only now his td catch against NO and i have to admit it was amazing, beautiful and difficult to forget.

really compliments to Terry Glenn for it !

the talent was there and still today is there

i really loved the combination between #11 Drew and #83 Glenn when they were with us and i was a fan of both of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes