PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical question about Branch/Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
If we had signed Branch and he did not hit FA'cy would Welker be a Pat today?:confused:

If we had signed Branch and he did not hit FA'cy would Welker be a Pat today?:confused:

Very good hypothetical...but I think the Pats were targeting Wes as they realized he was impossible to cover. I think if we had signed Branch we would not have been recruiting the Doug Gabriels of the NFL.

Yes.

After the game he had with the Dolphins against the Pats, Belichick was going to sign him if he had any chance to - regardless of what other receivers were on the roster.

Miami made a huge error in what they thought other NFL teams - or at least one specific NFL team - would be willing to give up for him when they made him a restricted free agent.

Yes. Welker was brought in as a return man and slot reciever, before Moss and I believe before Stallworth. Our WR's at the time would have been Branch, Caldwell, Washington (if before Welker?), and other non starting caliber WR's. So I don't see why it would've stopped us from bringing in Welker.

I do wonder if Stallworth/Moss would not have been brought in under your hypothetical scenario. But I think Welker was coming regardless.

Last edited:
thnx for the input.....

come to think of it.... yes welker was brought in before stallworth/moss (Patsylicious)

Yes. Welker was brought in as a return man and slot reciever, before Moss and I believe before Stallworth. Our WR's at the time would have been Branch, Caldwell, Washington (if before Welker?), and other non starting caliber WR's. So I don't see why it would've stopped us from bringing in Welker.

I do wonder if Stallworth/Moss would not have been brought in under your hypothetical scenario. But I think Welker was coming regardless.

We wouldn't have got Moss...maybe Stallworth

at the price they paid for Moss they would have done that deal Branch or no Branch. Stallwoth would have been the odd man out

Yes. He wasn't in a position to command big money.

In fact, he was still a no-name player, yet only BB and Pats fans knew who he was.

According to one story (looked for the link, but couldn't find it), acquiring Welker was their #1 priority in free agency in 2007.

Who knows, probably. If Branch was signed/extended in 2006, that'd be $6-7M of cap in 2007. Moss and Stallworth took up $5.7M so just not signing them wouldn't account for all that cap unless Branch's 2007 cap hit was right around $6M in which case they probably wouldn't have been any issues.

Q: Did you notice a big difference between the first Patriots game this past season and the second game in terms of the way they defended you in that second game?

WW: “I was getting double-teamed every play I was out there. It was a frustrating day. It was one of those deals where you’re kind of excited about it, but at the same time, you’re upset that you’re not able to produce like you know you’re capable of.”
Wes Welker Q&A – Miami Dolphins – Sun-Sentinel

Yes.

After the game he had with the Dolphins against the Pats, Belichick was going to sign him if he had any chance to - regardless of what other receivers were on the roster.

Miami made a huge error in what they thought other NFL teams - or at least one specific NFL team - would be willing to give up for him when they made him a restricted free agent.

You also have to factor that Nick Saban give Welker the highest recommendation to BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back