Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hypothetical Debate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Jul 29, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +347 / 3 / -13

With our advances in genetic engineering regarding sexual orientation, I'd like to present a hypothetical and see how others feel about a hypothetical scenario that I think will eventually happen.

The scenario it this;

Genetic break through enables men to carry fetus to birth.

I would be in favor of this not being legal. As a matter of fact, I'd be in favor of research in this area not being legal. I think changes in this area are dangerous for the future of humanity.

But that's just my opinion. How do you feel about it?
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +292 / 10 / -26

I agree, some things and roles are what they are.. there will be a certain few who will believe it to be their right..

It is very hypothetical though, and doubt if it will ever happen, physically it does not make sense .. if it does my more gov't regulation commments will fly in the face of my liberatarian views...
  3. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +347 / 3 / -13

Maybe you're right and it will never happen...I hope you are right.
  4. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I'm with you PR. I just get the chills thinking about this. Nature is nature and whether you believe in nature itself or a God that set things up this way, things exist like this for a reason. Good question PR, hopefully it starts a nice debate, though so far we're all shaking hands and agreeing haha.
  5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +347 / 3 / -13

I could understand why women might like this idea:D Strangely, we don't get many around hee-ah.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +292 / 10 / -26

Peace, love and understanding....nirvana..
  7. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yeah it's a sausage fest here. It's a bunch of guys posting either newsarticles or (sometimes) facts about politics, which most women find boring or the different sides aruging with each other, whcih usually degenerates into "I'm smart, you're stupid." Gee I wonder why the gals aren't flocking here.

I'm sure RW's current choices in sig pics are the clincher. Of course, I don't mind them. :)
  8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +347 / 3 / -13

I don't care for the term "sausage fest"....kinda gives me the Heebies.:eek:

I'd prefer Testosterone club
  9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +224 / 6 / -7

I don't think you stop these things from happening. I've thought of this terms of what if they invented a "cure" for homosexuality? While I would be against such a thing, as would many other people, I don't think you can prevent scientists from working on it (or from creating the opposite for that matter). So, you have to work within that context. As far as gays go, for instance, the value of a "cure" is less now than it was. Many people, parents included, would not opt for that kind of genetic engineering. As far as men bearing children (which as you probably know recently happened when a transexual man to woman bore a child just recently), societal pressures are such that it will happen only under the rarest of circumstances.
  10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +347 / 3 / -13

But she was a woman when she gave birth. So that wasn't a man giving birth Patters. I'm talking about a gay man carrying child with all the physical attributes of a man.
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +224 / 6 / -7

Why not straight men?

There are already a lot of strange people in this world, and the number of gay and straight men who want to bear children is incredibly small. I don't think you can outlaw science in this way. I don't think it's possible. Also, let's take a situation where a mother can't bear a child, but a father could. Would it be that much worse a solution that surrogate motherhood? It would be weird, I agree, but there are plenty of weird things going on already.
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +452 / 6 / -2

It's interesting to see people in here opposed to science that would allow a man to give birth to a child, as a matter of morality, yet, chastize people who use their morals when determining their beliefs on related topics. So why is everyone opposed to science making a man able to give birth?

[​IMG]
  13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +347 / 3 / -13

You need to spell out your point. What related topics are you referring to and why?

I am opposed to this because I don't want science messing with mother nature's perfect design. Lets just assume this became reality and many men gave birth. It "could" lead to permanent genetic changes in what makes a man...a man.

I'm just saying leave it alone. Women give birth...end of story.
  14. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +93 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

[​IMG]

Guess it would have to be a c-section, unless you meant........................:eek:
  15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +347 / 3 / -13

lol....yes, I meant c-section dude. Now I gotta go take a ....never mind.
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +452 / 6 / -2

So because you don't think a man should give birth, cuz that's what a woman does, and is what mother nature intended, then science shouldn't make it possible. In other words, it's your moral line that is the determinant here. It's not up to me to decide what "I want to do with my body", it's up to you. So when people raise questions about embryonic stem cells, and morals, or same sex marraige and morals, etc. why are they so vilified? You seem to be using morality as a barometer here. As a means to determine right versus wrong, or acceptable versus unacceptable. Remember, this is just a hypothetical discussion.