PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypocritical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Helmet

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I find it extremely hypocritical that the NFL is now doing a "Play 60" program aimed at encouraging kids to engage in at least an hour of physical activity per day to battle obesity...lets see:

In 2006, more than 500 players were listed at that weight or more on NFL training-camp rosters this summer -- including San Francisco 49ers guard Thomas Herrion, who collapsed and died after an exhibition game in August.

Offensive and defensive linemen have a 52 percent greater risk of dying from heart disease than the general population.

How many 320-pound men who are 80 years old do you see walking around?

Watching all these fat linemen talking to the kids in the commericals...Its like me telling my son not to eat candy while I'm wolfing down a Snickers bar...

It may be hypocritical but it's still a good thing. I'm not 320 pounds but if I were I would still encourage my kids to eat well enough and excercise enough that they didn't become 320 pounds themselves.

Some years back I remember watching an interview with one of Lombardi's Packers and someone asked him what Lombardi would do if he were coaching today. The player said, "First of all, he'd send a lot of these guys home and tell them not to come back until they lost about 75 pounds!"

I'm with BelichickFan, it's good that the NFL is encouraging kids to exercise. I will admit that it is a bit disturbing that players are encouraged to be so heavy these days, but I wouldn't quite call it hypocrisy. Just my $.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back