PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypocrite Dungy Slams the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dungy is just feeling the heat. Their run as a power is coming to an end, just as the Pats are beginning to reload.

Take a look at Indy's schedule this year. Finally, they have a tough slate, no more automatic 13-3's. They'll have to work for 10-6.

The nerve of Dungy, the coach whose GM called for a QB to have his leg broken and cried to the league to have rules changed.

he does have a point...if you don't get found out, you won't be called a cheater

and let's face it, aside from NE fans, the rest of the nfl fans will remember NE for cheating during their dynasty

that's just a cold hard reality.

no one's taking the rings away but you are going to have to just accept being thought of as a cheating franchise.

oh and before anyone says it, i've already accepted other fans thinking that way about my chargers, we just didn't get any rings out of it yet lol

Sadly, you're probably right. but even sadder is the fact that the only reason this is true is that Goodell has allowed the media and fans to believe what the Patriots did wasn't common-place. He allowed the Patriots to be scapegoats and that is a deep wrong Patriot fans will have to live with.

He could & should have stated from the start, "I am punishing the Patriots for their defiance of the memo we sent out and NOT for stealing signals. This kind of NFL espionage has been a part of the NFL culture for decades and it needs to stop. This should send a clear message it will not be tolerated."

Hard to take when Mudd is the high priest of signal stealers

Dungy, whom I've respected more and more over the years for his class, faith, and quiet dignity, has let loose with unseemly vindictiveness. I feel that he knows his club's best days are behind him and that the Patriots will again be contesting for the Super Bowl. Perhaps his frustration is bleeding out. Last year his defense really stepped up.

Signal stealing has been on in the league since before Frank Gifford was knocked unconscious by Bruno Nogerski.

And the Colts in recent years have been employing the best in the business, the consiglieri of signal stealers, Howard Mudd:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007...rd-mudd-was-the-best-in-the-entire-league-at/

I agree with you. At this point in time its moot whether or not Goodell is biased or just incompetant, the damage is done and the case is still not closed. We will see if Goodell is willing or able to end this on Tuesday or it will go indefinitely like the Spanish Inquisition.

agree, i wouldn't give a **** about being thought of as a cheating franchise if i had the lombardis

just have to deal with it

seems alot of people here can't deal with or accept it

Jc...it's difficult to accept that our team was made a scapegoat and portrayed to be far more unethical than any NFL in history when the FACT is, that's an outright lie.

Have you ever read our thread called "NFL fans for Truth"? It recounts dozens of acts far more serious than video-taping signals.

If you believe the Patriots have been treated fairly by the media and opposing fans, you've lost the ability to be honest with yourself. As I stated before, Goodell should have made it clear he was making an example of the Patriots so all NFL teams would stop questionable "espionage" practices.

If you don't believe the Patriots have been treated unfairly, just look at the bizzar reaction to Walsh NOT having a tape of the Rams walk-through. Instead of saying "ok, the Patriots didn't do it" everyone is pissed he didn't have the tape. If that's not a sign of ignorant, stupidity I don't know what is. It clearly shows me much of the negativity towards the Patriots is based upon envy & hatred.

Why else would people act as if their pissed off the tape doesn't exist and then ask the Goodell punish the Patriots further even though there is nothing new?

You DO agree that is utterly ridiculous, don't you JcDavey?

You DO know nothing will come of these tapes, don't you JcDavey?

Last edited:
I think it would have been better for the league AND for the Patriots if the Jets game last year had been forfeited because of the illegal taping. We'd have had the two number ones, but the blemished record officially recorded going into the SB. No one would be able to carp like they have been about us.

Have you seen the Jon Keller reaction to the over-the-top NYT writer's vincitiveness?

http://wbztv.com/kellerblog

Say what you will about Dungy's coaching abilities, he's one hell of a dad. And that's what really counts.

I'm with you here, I'm sure you'll get crap for this comment, but Tony Dungy is a deadbeat and a hypocrite and there's really no way around it. There's no way I'm taking advice on integrity from this guy, who if he wasn't loved by the media for some reason, would be viewed as a gay basher and a terrible father. Dungy is a sketchy character.

he does have a point...if you don't get found out, you won't be called a cheater

and let's face it, aside from NE fans, the rest of the nfl fans will remember NE for cheating during their dynasty

that's just a cold hard reality.

no one's taking the rings away but you are going to have to just accept being thought of as a cheating franchise.

oh and before anyone says it, i've already accepted other fans thinking that way about my chargers, we just didn't get any rings out of it yet lol

You're just another ill-informed troll who can't tell the difference between "cheating" and misinterpreting a league rule. No wonder you're a Chargers fan. Go jump in the Pacific.

Go jump in the Pacific.
That's a really mean request when the water down there is filled with Mexico's untreated sewage. That's why people don't go swimming off the San Diego beaches.

Who is he to judge? he's one of the coaches who did not get penalized for taping signals from the sidelines. Who are you to comment about a speech you weren't even at?

Just because what someone says is fact doesn't mean they should say it. Dungy and I are both fathers but that doesn't give me carte blanch to critizise his parenting style just because his child committed suicide and mine didn't. It would be in exteremely poor taste. In a similar vein that is what Dungy is doing. He is using Belichick's mistakes to pump up himself, as if he has never made a mistake. Its poor form.

As for who I am to comment on his speech? I am not a direct competitor of his and therefore do not gain any benefit critizicing his actions. In other words, I am not building myself up by tearing him down. I know I have never tried to do anything like hat in my professional career.

"We talk about how important it is to do things the right way and have integrity so that when you do win, people can never ask that question," Dungy he said. "That's the great thing that I'm happy about with our team."

Added Dungy: "Yes, we won. But no one is really going to ask, 'Did they cheat? Did they do things the right way?' I think our record speaks for itself and if you're a true champion, that's the way you'd like it to be."

Tony is right. No one will ask that. Instead, they should ask how many lucky bounces, questionable calls, injuries, and sick Patriots did it take for you to get to and win that ONE Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Dungy and I are both fathers but that doesn't give me carte blanch to critizise his parenting style just because his child committed suicide and mine didn't. It would be in exteremely poor taste.

No it wouldn't though - Dungy gets a free pass for this, but if I knew someone who raised a bigoted, angry and troubled teenager who eventually took their own life, I would absolutely judge the parents. It's human nature. Particularly if the parent was in a high-stress, long hours job and never left said job after the tragedy to be with his family despite making himself out to be a saint. Tony Dungy is a really sketchy person who gets a free pass for his complete sketchiness in the media.

No it wouldn't though - Dungy gets a free pass for this, but if I knew someone who raised a bigoted, angry and troubled teenager who eventually took their own life, I would absolutely judge the parents. It's human nature. Particularly if the parent was in a high-stress, long hours job and never left said job after the tragedy to be with his family despite making himself out to be a saint. Tony Dungy is a really sketchy person who gets a free pass for his complete sketchiness in the media.

Dungy definitely is "sketchy." Belichick has more integrity than Dungy because he is GENUINE, warts and all, and refrains from condescension, pontificating, or speaking/acting hypocritically.

I'm glad this is Martin Luther Dungy's last season with the Colts so we'll no longer have to suffer his bullsh!t pronouncements. Expect a quick changing of the guard in the AFC South after 2008. The Jaguars' footsteps are starting to get pretty loud.

I'm glad this is Martin Luther Dungy's last season with the Colts so we'll no longer have to suffer his bullsh!t pronouncements. Expect a quick changing of the guard in the AFC South after 2008. The Jaguars' footsteps are starting to get pretty loud.

I'll believe its Dungy's last year when I see it. Every year he seems to make a big deal out of his coming back or not. Remember how great a person he is, and how he's "almost" left the game to do public service work? :rolleyes: And the media actually makes him seem like a good guy b/c of that fact. I'm going to start "almost" doing nice things and then I can feel like a better person.

As for Jags v. Colts - I'd never count the Colts out - as long as they have Manning, they will be right with us amongst the elite threats in the league.

Last edited:
As for Jags v. Colts - I'd never count the Colts out - as long as they have Manning, they will be right with us amongst the elite threats in the league.

Hasn't it been confirmed that this is Dungy's last season? They've already named his successor (I forget his name/coaching position). The Colts will backslide once the Saint leaves town, you can bank on it.

Three people I don't want character lessons from:

Tom Delay
Eliot Spitzer (to make this bipartisan)
Tony Dungy

Hasn't it been confirmed that this is Dungy's last season? They've already named his successor (I forget his name/coaching position). The Colts will backslide once the Saint leaves town, you can bank on it.

They might not. There might be a single season drop off--but I don't think Dungy is that good a coach, and I believe they win in spite of him a lot of the time.

Say what you will about Dungy's coaching abilities, he's one hell of a dad. And that's what really counts.

ROTFLMAO....I know how to take it and that's a "Gotcha", I like the way you think express.

They named his successor, the QB cocach Jim Caldwell (who was like 25-60 at Wake Forest), but Dungy did leave the door open a crack for a return again in 2009.

I agree that when the Saint leaves the Colts will regress. They might play poorly in the playoffs every year but they are a great regular season team (what that means who cares, but they win 12 games every year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back