Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hypocrisy and Immigration

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Jun 19, 2007.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Terrific Article by Victor Hansen.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/06/civilization.html

an excerpt, the whole column is worthwhile.

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +535 / 6 / -2

Mexico is utterly pathetic. When those assclown officials go on the news and decry American policy I feel like tossing my remote at the screen. Mexico's policies toward immigrants are strict, harsh, and restrictive in comparrison to our blind ways. I hate that government down south. Talk about failing a wonderful group of people. I've been to Mexico 7 or 8 times in my life, and the people have always been terrific. That country should be a paradise, instead it's an embarrassment. :mad:

3. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

I agree the vast majority of Hispanic folks I have met are terrific. I don't have a problem with legal immigration. I do dislike illegal immigration and the tendency to not want to assimilate.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  4. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Most immigrants that come over are slow to "assimilate", whatever that means. Hello? Earth to patsfan13...this is a melting pot. We have Europeans and Asians that do not "assimilate", why is it you cons always whine about the Latinos?? Probably cuz they are brown huh?

Do you mean you would rather they all watch NASCAR, drink crappy beer, and shoot skeets like dumbass hicks?

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +535 / 6 / -2

Wow, you really are a true hack sometimes. Cons? So I take it everyone that has a problem with illegal immigration, and the current lack of assimilation, is just a "con" who has a problem with latino's (i.e. a they're just racist)? You really are transparent sometimes. Just look at this forum. There are leftists, right wing nuts, old schooler D/R's, libertarians, etc. who are all at odds with the current situation, and pretty much think the same on this issue. Of course, some people in here either see a posters name, and take the opposite track, or are simply an extension of a party ideology. This issue is interesting to me in that it seems to be ambiguous of party distinction for most people. Sadly, I guess it's not that way for all.

6. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh my... if you had half a brain in your head, you would be humiliated at your own hypocrisy here. :rolleyes:

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

In previous immigration periods people who came into the country learned English and sought to become Americans. Now people want to bring their language and culture with them unchanged.

This isn't very complex, at least I didn't think so.

8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Just to put things in perspective, since 1986(the year of the big amnesty) we've gained roughly 42 million naturally-born citizens. That's taking total live births and subtracting all deaths. We've also gained tens of millions of proper(non-amnesty related) non-natural born citizens through legal immigration. Every year its the same thing, for every single Rio swimmer or other illegitimate arrival there's 4 or 5 babies that sprout up, plus a legal immigrant or two. There's a flood all right; but its a flood of 100% Constitutionally-approved citizens that's crashing over us. Every day that goes by means the percentage of people who are not documented goes down in comparison to the total population. In other words this crisis is FIXING ITSELF as we sit here and melt down over it.

9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

I don't think your data is accurate. BTW we don't even know how many illegal immigrants are in the US currently. Also the illegal population is is straining a lot of our services and infrastructure Hospitals, schools and so on. Also what is the cost of bringing say 20M + residents who can then bring in their extended families???/ SS cost Medicare and so on????

This is a pandora's box.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +535 / 6 / -2

In 2004, an estimated 35.7 million foreign-born persons lived in the U.S. While in 1970 one person in twenty was foreign born, by 2004 the number had risen to one in eight.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=56115

11. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Mosey on over to the US Census web page. The numbers of deaths, births, and legal immigrants is available for all to see.

Yeah, there might be even less than the 15 million I used to compare to what we do know.

The proposed bill removes the family related 'bonus' that's granted to prospective immigrants who have family here. You appear to be criticizing the new bill over policy that currently exits but will be taken away if the new bill becomes law:confused:

12. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I thought we were talking about illegals? IF you have some kind of beef with people like my mom, who immigrated here from Ireland in 1953, I'm not about to continue this conversation.

13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

The proposed bill is a sham there will be no enforcement and no fence built. Check this iut we won't even deport illegals who are committing additional crimes here even.

What a disgrace.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +535 / 6 / -2

Removed for whom? The bill will permit the 12-30 million illegal aliens already in this country, who are to recieve "Z" visas, to bring in family from outside the country. I love how the MSM doesn't talk about the bill in detail. Lou Dobbs is the only one who talks facts. If people really read the bill, they would be outraged, which most already are.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +535 / 6 / -2

Huh? My parents were NOT born in this country. NONE of my extended family were born in this country. HALF of my cousins were not born in this country. I'm first generation American. Please don't try to pull that anti-immigrant, racist crap on me. I'm highly supportive of LEGAL immigration. Immigration is what this country is all about. It has to be comprehensive, structured, documented, and controlled. The current invasion is unacceptable. When you control immigration, you not only know who is coming into your country, but you can weed out those you do not want. Controlling immigration sets up guidlines and rules immigrants have to follow. It pushes them to assimilate as my parents, and your mom had to. This current, uncontrolled invasion, has done the opposite. Americans have no problem with immigrants, they have a problem with an invasion that costs them money, and damages our culture. Americans have ignored, maybe even accepted the illegal flow until now, and that's because it's reached an unimaginable level.

16. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My understanding of the current policy is that Joe Mexican, who legally immigrated here 15 years ago, can act as a sponsor for any family members of his who wish to join him and that they will move to the front of line. If this bill should pass, that will change. Family members will no longer get that bonus. Only job skills will matter, or its first come, first served until the quota's filled.

Lets keep in mind that this is only proposed legislation and its probably already been changed 1/2 dozen times. Perhaps we're both right.

17. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Fine, but you can't use stats that lump legit immigrants in with illegitimate ones and expect people to assume you distinguish between the two. Lots of people don't and I'm kinda sensitive of the fact that my existence is a direct result of my mother being allowed to move here.

18. Real World

Ratings:
    +535 / 6 / -2

We are both from the exact same background then. My parents were both LEGAL immigrants from Italy, and they met here, not in Italy. I know first hand what immigration, and the american dream mean, I'm a product of it, and live it everyday. It's why I get upset when people try to tell me I'm just a racist. That's why I base my position on logic, and most importantly, facts. Immigration has to be controlled, documented, and implemented with a plan in mind. Simply permitting an invasion of unknowns at our southern border is certainly none of that, and correcting it by simply making a problem legal is worse.