PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hybrid SuperBeast!! Patriots Merge 2004, 2007, & 2010 Offenses!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Sean McCormick of FootBall Outsiders, from their Almanac ~ no Link, I'm afraid:

"And now that Brandon Lloyd is stepping in to reprise the role of Randy Moss, the passing game is poised to evolve into some terrifying mutant combination of the 2007 and 2011 versions."

Hah!! Beauty!! And it's true!!

1 ~ Tight End "Kong" Gronkowski & WingBack Aaron the Navigator have revolutionized Passing Attacks and ~ potentially ~ entire Offenses with their incomparable Hybrid Skill Sets, which are as dangerous in their ability to add Blocking FirePower to The Run Game as they are harrowing to Pass Defenders.

2 ~ The Middle of the ChessBoard has always been the most critical Real Estate in determining who takes command of the FootBall Game, and the Ascensions of Kong & Aaron The Navigator ~ combined with the slashing destruction wrought by "Wild Wild" Wes Welker ~ has ushered in an era of unprecedented dominance, thither.

3 ~ But the complete dearth of High Caliber Split End threats has allowed the better Defenses ~ namely: The Jets and the Giants ~ to flood The Middle, thus rendering our Assault manageable and, ultimately, defeatable.

4 ~ But now, with the accession of Brandon Lloyd to our ranks ~ a guy who speaks the hideously complicated Patriots Pass Offense fluently, and who is clearly rapidly forming a MindMeld with General Tom Brady...flooding The Middle is a luxury that opposing Pass Defenders no longer have.

5 ~ Kong & Aaron The Navigator have forged astonishing and delightfully horrifying reputations in two short years ~ and Wild Wild Wes has added to his phenomenal Legend ~ and have done so despite the better Defenses being able to crowd them. Thus, Brandon Lloyd's arrival improves far more than just one slot in our Offense.

6 ~ To consider what they ~ and, consequently, our entire Offense ~ are now going to be able to do, as a direct consequence of the Ripple Effect of Lloyd's arrival...is mind-boggling.

7 ~ The infinitely multiplicative Formations and Plays, and the stark, simple, and terrifying impossibility of guessing what we're going to do ~ and thus: matching up effectively with us ~ simply because we can either blast our foes with a Power Run or chase them off the field with a Super Spread out'f the same personnel package...is magnificent.

Oh, it is very well.

Last edited:
Re: Hybrid Offense ~ 2007 & 2011 Merge, Forming "Some Terrifying Mutant Combination!!

Since I can't be in Foxboro to celebrateT Brown, your post is the next best thing.. ;)

This O is going to be fun and will be deadly by years end.

Re: Hybrid Offense ~ 2007 & 2011 Merge, Forming "Some Terrifying Mutant Combination!!

Sean McCormick of FootBall Outsiders, from their Almanac ~ no Link, I'm afraid:

"And now that Brandon Lloyd is stepping in to reprise the role of Randy Moss, the passing game is poised to evolve into some terrifying mutant combination of the 2007 and 2011 versions."

Hah!! Beauty!! And it's true!!

1 ~ Tight End "Kong" Gronkowski & WingBack Aaron the Navigator have revolutionized Passing Attacks and ~ potentially ~ entire Offenses with their incomparable Hybrid Skill Sets, which are as dangerous in their ability to add Blocking FirePower to The Run Game as they are harrowing to Pass Defenders.

2 ~ The Middle of the ChessBoard has always been the most critical Real Estate in determining who takes command of the FootBall Game, and the Ascensions of Kong & Aaron The Navigator ~ combined with the slashing destruction wrought by "Wild Wild" Wes Welker ~ has ushered in an era of unprecedented dominance, thither.

3 ~ But the complete dearth of High Caliber Split End threats has allowed the better Defenses ~ namely: The Jets and the Giants ~ to flood The Middle, thus rendering our Assault manageable and, ultimately, defeatable.

4 ~ But now, with the accession of Brandon Lloyd to our ranks ~ a guy who speaks the hideously complicated Patriots Pass Offense fluently, and who is clearly rapidly forming a MindMeld with General Tom Brady...flooding The Middle is a luxury that opposing Pass Defenders no longer have.

5 ~ Kong & Aaron The Navigator have forged astonishing and delightfully horrifying reputations in two short years ~ and Wild Wild Wes has added to his phenomenal Legend ~ and have done so despite the better Defenses being able to crowd them. Thus, Brandon Lloyd's arrival improves far more than just one slot in our Offense.

6 ~ To consider what they ~ and, consequently, our entire Offense ~ are now going to be able to do, as a direct consequence of the Ripple Effect of Lloyd's arrival...is mind-boggling.

7 ~ The infinitely multiplicative Formations and Plays, and the stark, simple, and terrifying impossibility of guessing what we're going to do ~ and thus: matching up effectively with us ~ simply because we can either blast our foes with a Power Run or chase them off the field with a Super Spread out'f the same personnel package...is magnificent.

Oh, it is very well.

I think it's going to be even more than that. The "fusion" of the 2011 and 2007 offenses ignores the potential contributions on the RBs. The Pats rushed for over 160 yards against Tennessee last week, and Stevan Ridley also showed some nice moves in the passing game. If Shane Vereen can ever stay healthy and pull it together, the addition of the Ridley/Vereen/Woodhead group to everything else that you describe could really create a 3-headed monster.

One of my favorite Pats' offenses in the BB era actually was one that was missing one key player - Tom Brady. The 2008 offense over the last 8 games of the season was spectacular, combining efficient passing with a powerful RBBC ground approach. That offense averaged something like 38 PPG and 140 YPG rushing over those 8 games. That was coincidentally the last Pats' offense with Josh McD as the OC. But that offense didn't have Brady, and it didn't have any weapons like Gronk and Hernandez.

IF the OL can hold together, IF Ridley continues to run like he did, and IF the offense can integrate the RBs into the passing attack, then this offense has the potential to be like nothing the NFL has ever seen.

Oh, it is very well.

I think it's going to be even more than that.

The "fusion" of the 2011 and 2007 offenses ignores the potential contributions on the RBs.

1 ~ Yes, indeed!! The author ignored the Running Game, but I didn't. :D

2 ~ This is precisely why I was such a rabid, frothing advocate of signing up Lloyd, last Winter, and why I went on the Record ~ after we did sign him ~ as saying that this Offense has the Capacity to wreak "utterly unprecedented havoc" on the rest of the League!! :rocker:

I think that's how I phrased it.
39.gif

But you get the idea: The possibility of unprecedented unstoppability, regardless of total points.

The 2007 Offense ~ like all the other highest scoring Offenses of All Time ~ proved ultimately stoppable.

This Offense ~ due to what looks to be the Fusion of 2011, 2007, and 2004 ~ Brady's Using The Whole Pig!! ~ has the potential to be unstoppable...and perhaps, as I have said, at an unprecedented level. :eek:

if you're ever out of work you could try screenwriting. You
seem to have a flare for the dramatic.;)
( oops .. :confused: maybe that's what you do already)

BTW, maybe Josh's talents to use all of this needs to be mentioned as well.

Of course you didn't. I know that. But the title of the thread was something to the effect of "2013 offense = 2007 + 2011 merge", and I think that that ignores the running game. There will be strong elements of 2004 and 2008 merged in as well, thank God. And the potential could be apocalyptic for the rest of the league.

1 ~ Yes, indeed!! The author ignored the Running Game, but I didn't. :D

2 ~ This is precisely why I was such a rabid, frothing advocate of signing up Lloyd, last Winter, and why I went on the Record ~ after we did sign him ~ as saying that this Offense has the Capacity to wreak "utterly unprecedented havoc" on the rest of the League!! :rocker:

I think that's how I phrased it.
39.gif

But you get the idea: The possibility of unprecedented unstoppability, regardless of total points.

The 2007 Offense ~ like all the other highest scoring Offenses of All Time ~ proved ultimately stoppable.

This Offense ~ due to what looks to be the Fusion of 2011, 2007, and 2004 ~ Brady's Using The Whole Pig!! ~ has the potential to be unstoppable...and perhaps, as I have said, at an unprecedented level. :eek:

I like your analysis OTG, but the dramatics make it difficult to take you seriously and I definitely cringed a few times.

Appreciate the energy, but IMO you are consistently over the top and are forcing the nicknames (Kong, Aaron the Navigator).

Of course, you have every right to do it. Just my 5 cents.

I like the dramatics. :D

But then, I worked in theater, film and TV for quite awhile, so maybe I'm more used to it than others. Ah well.

Back to the topic, however, I'd also offer that one should dwell on the fact that last week, against the Flaming Thumbtacks, The Patriots didn't use the same offense package twice, until the 25th play of the game.

Think about that: These guys are well-enough versed in the substitutions, the philosophy and nomenclature of this offense, these schemes, to be able to do that, and to do it without a single offensive penalty, in the very first game of the season.

To my mind, THAT is what's truly impressive. :cool:

I like your analysis OTG, but the dramatics make it difficult to take you seriously and I definitely cringed a few times.

Appreciate the energy, but IMO you are consistently over the top and are forcing the nicknames (Kong, Aaron the Navigator).

AGREED. He makes some interesting points, but his delivery of them makes me want to pull my eyes out.

Your Credit is Good, Brother Holiday, and I am always gratefull for such kindly intended Criticism. :cool:

There is little likelihood of my mellowing out at any point in the foreseeable future, however!! :D

And I assure you that ~ whatever impression you may've honestly gathered ~ those two particularly nicknames came to me directly from The Ether, whence most of my Notions issue!! :D

Don't get me wrong: Many of my nicknames and terms take considerable work and research, for which I make no apology whatsoever!! :D

I have to add, though: If the manner of my message inhibits your ability to "take me seriously", that, my friend ~ and I say this with great respect, truly I do ~ says far more about your Judgment, than about my Content. Respectfully submitted. :cool:

Let's see what happens against the Baltimore Ravens. I circled that one right after the schedule was announced. It's grown increasingly important as the re-tooled defense and the offensive transitions have been made, particularly along the offensive line.

The Steelers worked the Pats over last season, and the Browns did it in 2010 - exposing the weaknesses of the offense and the defense. The Ravens have the goods - and more than enough motivation - to subdue the offense and pound the defense.

I am quite skeptical about the dominance of this year's team. Brandon Lloyd can make a tough catch, but he's no Randy Moss who could just flat-out outrun a secondary and make catches with other-worldly timing on his leaps.

We'll see.

AGREED. He makes some interesting points, but his delivery of them makes me want to pull my eyes out.

Very Good, Gentlemen. :cool:

Duly noted and appreciated.

I make absolutely no promises...But such Input is, indeed, appreciated.

In fact: I'd like to solicit any such similar opinions from anyone who holds them.

Seriously.

I am not above Evolving, and would at least consider easing up on the bowplanes if I felt I was impinging on the enjoyment of my treatises by enough of my Fellow FootBall Fanatics.

Oh...And specifics are welcome and appreciated: Are the Smilies the most difficult aspect of my Bloviations to digest, for example? :D

Of course you didn't. I know that. But the title of the thread was something to the effect of "2013 offense = 2007 + 2011 merge", and I think that that ignores the running game. There will be strong elements of 2004 and 2008 merged in as well, thank God.

And the potential could be apocalyptic for the rest of the league.

No further comment necessary. :cool:

I cannot improve on the import ~ or the possible accuracy ~ of "apocalyptic."
beer.gif

I like the dramatics. :D

But then, I worked in theater, film and TV for quite awhile, so maybe I'm more used to it than others. Ah well.

Hah! Great point!! :D

I've worked in a lot of Theatre, myself ~ just Community Theatre, mind you, and believe it or not I'm actually a Breeder :eek: ~ and that has, possibly, enhanced ~ exacerbated?? ~ my natural propensity to let'er rip!! :D

*Honestly, I think that if some super-enhanced Voice SoftWare ~ one that projected inflection and emotion ~ were used by everyone, here, you'd see 1000% more italicizations, bolds, and Emoticons.

I am absolutely fanatic about accurately conveying the tone and flavor of what I'm feeling when I get a point across. And that ~ as opposed to some sophomoric desire to attach bells & whistles to my words ~ is why I invest the time and effort in adding all those things that so many find annoying. Ironic, oui??
th_coffee.gif

Let's see what happens against the Baltimore Ravens. I circled that one right after the schedule was announced. It's grown increasingly important as the re-tooled defense and the offensive transitions have been made, particularly along the offensive line.

The Steelers worked the Pats over last season, and the Browns did it in 2010 - exposing the weaknesses of the offense and the defense. The Ravens have the goods - and more than enough motivation - to subdue the offense and pound the defense.

I am quite skeptical about the dominance of this year's team. Brandon Lloyd can make a tough catch, but he's no Randy Moss who could just flat-out outrun a secondary and make catches with other-worldly timing on his leaps.

We'll see.

A couple of thoughts:

1. The Pats' offense has been top 3 for the past 2 seasons, but it's still had 1 or 2 poor games. I'm not sure that the 2012 version will be immune to that, despite all the weapons. But I wouldn't judge the offense based on 1 performance, in either direction.

2. I'm not particularly impressed by the Ravens' defense. I think Arizona has more weapons. Dockett, Campbell, Washington, Wilson and Peterson are a formidible group, and Dan Williams is pretty decent inside. The Ravens have Haloti Ngata, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, but I don't see a dominant defense. They gave up 129 yards rushing to Cincinnati including 90 to BJGE, for a 4.6 YPA average.

3. I don't need or particularly want Brandon Lloyd to be Randy Moss circa 2007. The Pats' offense needs to be more multi-dimensional than it has been, and that is exactly what they showed against Tennessee. And there are a lot of players and/or offensive facets that weren't used against the Titans.

4. As has already been mentioned in this thread, the return of Josh McDaniels as OC may be as important as any personnel addition.

It's obviously too early to tell how the offense will turn out, but given the track record of the offense the past 2 years and everything else, I see no reason to be skeptical that this year's offense won't be among the league's best.

One of my favorite Pats' offenses in the BB era actually was one that was missing one key player - Tom Brady. The 2008 offense over the last 8 games of the season was spectacular, combining efficient passing with a powerful RBBC ground approach. That offense averaged something like 38 PPG and 140 YPG rushing over those 8 games. That was coincidentally the last Pats' offense with Josh McD as the OC. But that offense didn't have Brady, and it didn't have any weapons like Gronk and Hernandez.

:yeahthat:

I couldn't agree more. Once they'd digested the fact that they didn't have TB and got Cassel comfortable, the 08 offense was remarkably good. And to my eyes there was something about the offense on Sunday -- the variation and the rhythm -- that reminded me of that season.

:yeahthat:

I couldn't agree more. Once they'd digested the fact that they didn't have TB and got Cassel comfortable, the 08 offense was remarkably good. And to my eyes there was something about the offense on Sunday -- the variation and the rhythm -- that reminded me of that season.

Don't get me started. :mad:

There are exactly two legitimate TieBreakers:

1 ~ Head to Head.
2 ~ Strength of Schedule.

The rest are ridiculously derivative. They have their places, but only behind the first two.

If the NFL didn't have such an atrocity of a TieBreaker System, the Pats would've made the PlayOffs in 2002 and in 2008.

That 2002 team wouldn't've likely gone far: our Run D was horrific.

But that 2008 team, under Cassell??

The way we were clicking at the end'f the season ~ and as weak as the entire playoff field was, that year ~ it might've gone all the freaking way. :mad:

Hah! Great point!! :D

I've worked in a lot of Theatre, myself ~ just Community Theatre, mind you, and believe it or not I'm actually a Breeder :eek: ~ and that has, possibly, enhanced ~ exacerbated?? ~ my natural propensity to let'er rip!! :D

Me too. You should have seen a couple of my fellow thespians change their "happy team attitude" when they found out that I was a conservative, family man.

But, eh..... it's all good. The funniest part of one production was when the director asked me not to take a few certain cast members out drinking with me anymore. They were no match, apparently, for my well-trained liver. He needed them upright and able for rehearsals. :cool:

I don't need or particularly want Brandon Lloyd to be Randy Moss circa 2007. The Pats' offense needs to be more multi-dimensional than it has been, and that is exactly what they showed against Tennessee. And there are a lot of players and/or offensive facets that weren't used against the Titans.

Amen, Brother! With a receiver that can run any route, allowing a more multi-dimensional offense, I think we'd be much better at moving the chains and winning championships. If the price is being less flashy and high-flying I'll gladly pay it.

The offense has potential to be a dominant and balanced one this season. But the one problem is that if a team takes away the middle of the field, only Lloyd is the guy that can make plays on the outside. But that won't matter if the offensive line can keep Brady on his feet to give the receivers time to get open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down