PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hutchinsons deal a Poison Pill

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
Its structured so that it will take up $13 mill in cap space this year. no way Seattle matches now.

Could you explain at greater length? What does this mean, in practical terms?

What deal?

What Hutchison deal?

I'm confused. I thought that Seattle had already franchised or transitioned Hutchinson.

huskeralk said:
I'm confused. I thought that Seattle had already franchised or transitioned Hutchinson.

Transition means he can shop around and 'hawks get right of first refusal. And that's what they did. Put up a huge number that Seattle is unlikely to match. I'm not sure anyone knows the real numbers.

Is this similar to the Jets weasel deal w/ Curtis Martin years ago?

Hutchinson gets tagged by Seahawks

MIKE SANDO; The News Tribune
Published: February 24th, 2006 02:30 AM
INDIANAPOLIS – The franchise-player game wasn’t one the Seattle Seahawks wanted to play with Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson.

The team had taken that route with receiver Joey Galloway, tackle Walter Jones and running back Shaun Alexander.

The three men collected six franchise-player designations among them, but only Jones emerged with a long-term contract in Seattle – and then only after a three-year fight.

Hutchinson, 28, stands a better chance of scoring a long-term deal after the Seahawks bypassed the familiar franchise tag for the somewhat riskier transition designation.

In making the move before an NFL deadline Thursday, the Seahawks prevented Hutchinson from becoming an unrestricted free agent March 3.

Hutchinson can solicit offers after that date. The Seahawks retain the right of first refusal, but Seattle would receive nothing in return for refusing to match an offer deemed too rich. A franchise player would return a pair of first-round draft choices.

Therein lies the risk for Seattle, but the distinction also might be the difference in getting a deal done.

Teams that wield the franchise hammer sometimes find themselves in protracted battles; other teams consider the draft-choice compensation too high a price, leaving franchise players frustrated by their inability to test the market in a meaningful way.

Hutchinson will attract more interest as a transition player. Another team might wind up doing the Seahawks’ negotiating.

hope that helps

Who gave

Hutchison and offer??

:D This might help a bit more:

Vikings | Hutchinson will become highest paid guard in history
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:57:15 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports Seattle Seahawks transition free agent OG Steve Hutchinson (Seahawks) will become the highest paid guard in NFL history with the offer sheet he signed from the Minnesota Vikings. Hutchinson is set to earn $49 million over seven years, with $16 million in guaranteed money.

vikings offered. great oline now with mckinnie kirk and hutchinson, I could run behind that line. oh wait maybe not. :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2365600

Len Pasquarelli said:
The offer sheet is for seven years, at $49 million, and includes $16 million in guarantees. Once the offer sheet is executed, Seattle will have seven days to match all its principle terms, or allow Hutchinson to move to the Vikings. If the Seahawks do not match it, they will receive no draft-pick compensation.

How rich is the Vikings' deal, negotiated by Tom Condon and Ken Kremer of IMG Football, for the five-year veteran guard? Consider this: Only three NFL offensive tackles, a position that is always paid much higher than guards, can match Hutchinson's average of $7 million. Larry Allen of Dallas, currently the league's highest-paid guard, averages $6.1 million on his Cowboys contract.

It is believed that, before the start of the free agency period, Seattle was offering Hutchinson an average of $5.8 million per year.

Nothing about the 1st year of the deal being $13 million against the cap.

Last edited:
How much do the Seahawks get in return? I would match the offer regardless of the draft picks; guards like Hutchinson don't come around too often.

the $ flowing freely

:eek: The money is just flowing, flowing and flowing. Did all the GM's go to The Steinbrenner School of Management?

Meanwhile we will pick a OG in the 5-7 round and he will start for us....to each their own I guess. This is why the Vikings will suck for years.

SaCaCh said:
Meanwhile we will pick a OG in the 5-7 round and he will start for us....to each their own I guess. This is why the Vikings will suck for years.

I don't know about that. The Vikings are putting together a lot of good talent.

What will remain to be seen is just how good of a HC Brad Childress will be and whether or not he can form them into a team.

DaBruinz said:
I don't know about that. The Vikings are putting together a lot of good talent.

What will remain to be seen is just how good of a HC Brad Childress will be and whether or not he can form them into a team.

7 mil for a guard?

SaCaCh said:
7 mil for a guard?

7 Mill for an All-Pro guard. Probably a guy who is the best in the league.

Its a tad rich, yes. But the Vikings do have quite a bit to throw around. Also, lets not forget that the game is won in the trenches.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

HUTCHINSON '06 CAP NUMBER EXCEEDS $13 MILLION

In an effort to land guard Steve Hutchinson, the Vikings have gotten his agreement on an offer sheet with a 2006 cap number in excess of $13 million.

That's more than one third of the team's available cap space in the 2006 offseason, and more than twelve percent of the team's total cap room for the current year.

The offer is aimed at getting the Seahawks not to exercise their right to match. They now have seven days to make a decision

EMoulds80Fan said:
Is this similar to the Jets weasel deal w/ Curtis Martin years ago?

That practice is now illegal, they structured the deal as a one-year with a player option right after the decision to match had to be made. Of course can still do something like a poison pill just be including a high cap figure in the first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes