Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hurricane Sandy, weather and the Presidential election...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patsfanin Philly, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Could Hurricane Sandy , currently churning up the East Coast affect the Presidential election for better or worse??
    Before you laugh it off, consider past weather events that impacted elections in ways other than turnout. Mike Dukakis lost his bid for reelection in 1978 partly some said on his response to the Blizzard of 1978, not that there was anything he or any human could have done differently. One mayor of Chicago (Jane Byrne?) was away on vacation when a blizzard hit, paralyzing the city and paid the price in the next election. If heaven forbid, this should prove crippling, the response and the reaction to it could reverberate nationwide. If it turns out to be a FEMA-like disaster it would reflect badly. But a well organized response could have positive feedback…..

Food for thought…

Here’s a study on the effect of weather on voter turnout… Will the weather determine the next president? | ThorntonWeather.com.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

FrankenStorm!

be prepared East Coast!

3. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -1

From what I have read they are saying this has the potential to be a lot worse than the "perfect storm" of 1991 (I think it was 1991). Estimating damages up into the billions. Of course, the experts could be wrong and even state that it is really too early to tell. But, it makes a better news story if you can say how bad it will be.

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Not sure it will effect the election, I hope we do not lose power as last time it was not restored until the 8th day......

National Grid got a lot of heat at that time, so hopefully they have cleaned up their act....and are more prepared this time.

5. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

That Halloween storm last year was brutal (power wise) Darryl.

My in-laws in Wrentham were without for 8 days.

Lucky for me and the Mrs... we lived and live now, in a town with their own power company.

National Grid for the....Loss :)

6. Patradomous

Patradomous In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +155 / 7 / -17

#87 Jersey

Hitting NYC maybe we can call it Latrina. Obamas Katrina. But Obama and his trusty staff will blame it on a video of Gorebull warming when half of NYC food stamps are late.

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Its like I'm reading excerpts from Hemingway....or Ralph Waldo Emerson...

8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

A very good site to follow this is crownweather.com, which is a compendium of all the sites..

9. Patsfanin Philly

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

I like him even more than both of the guys you listed!

11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Hurricanes scare the crap out of me, when I was young got caught in a couple of really big ones, I respect the warnings and am always prepared.

12. Hebeill

Hebeill 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm putting an addition on my house i thought it would be a good idea to put a generator in. It would be back feed into the breaker box so we could use anything in the house without running an extension cord out a window or door. The setup would be automatic and the generator would run on propane which is what we use the whole thing would cost $4,000. My wife and i hemmed and hawed about it we both thought (but didn't know it at the time) 'what are the odds that the same type situation could happen again, not likely. So we only had the connection for the generator put in. And so here we are looking down the barrel at a similar situation as last year. And yeah that generator is going in pronto if we have to live like we're camping out again for a week.

As far as a presidential election there will be a lot of damage and Obama can look presidential like calling in the national guard declaring national emergencies etc. While Cantor and his insane clown posse opposes giving anyone any help if it involves using tax dollars

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  13. Patsfanin Philly

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

After Katrina, I was down in Mississippi when Hurricane Rita came barreling in and I went up to the top of a parking garage in Gulfport and waited it out....One of the stupidest things I've ever done but I have an immense respect for the power of Mother Nature......

Cantor is smart enough to keep his mouth shut but there will be people complaining about a lack of power regardless, if it extends more than a few days and they are in the dark. In addition, it will be the lead story and knock the election off the front pages or at least down to story #2. Who does that benefit, Romney? Obama? We won't know for 11 days.....
    Nobody saw this as the October surprise.......

PS somewhere in Texas, W is thinking, "how can they blame this one on me?"
    PPS If Jim Cantore shows up in my neighborhood, I know I'm in deep trouble.

14. Patsfanin Philly

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

15. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +421 / 6 / -12

we barbecued for hurrican bob and then were at the top of big blue as the eye just missed......it was cool hanging sideways from trees

16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

I go back to Carole in 1954, we lived on the second floor.. the chimneys all toppled, and the roof completely leaked.. it was a mess. Could not get up and down the street for a week.. but I saved the world with my army helmet liner on and stood guard mightily. We were without electricity for what seemed like forever..

Since have been involved in disaster recovery efforts after Katrina, Harrisbureg, Pa. after the recent flooding, the RI floods, which only confirms my respect.. while there are fools who view this as some type of macho game, I am not one of those guys who go down and stand on the rocks and play chicken with waves.. hurricanes are very scary, and many times people forget how powerful they really are.

17. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +421 / 6 / -12

[​IMG]