Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hunters for the hungry

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turd Furguson, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

For all those against hunting, this is yet another good thing that comes out of it from RESPONSIBLE hunters which probably make up at least 90% of all hunters.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20071011/ts_csm/ahunters

BOGART, Ga. - As the whiff of fall descends in northeast Georgia, Victor Devine readies his bow for an annual rite he's observed since boyhood: the deer hunt.

ADVERTISEMENT

His family of five eats about 100 pounds of venison a year. But in recent seasons, Mr. Devine has returned to the woods to take one or two extra animals, for the benefit of strangers. He's part of a national "hunters for the hungry" campaign that is racking up record amounts of donated deer, wild hog, and squirrel meat to bolster soup-kitchen chilis during the coldest, leanest stretch of the year for poorer Americans.

Such field-to-kitchen charities draw the ire of animal rights groups, but game managers say they play a role in keeping America's deep woods healthy by curtailing wildlife overpopulation. As the number of hunters declines in the US, and as wild herds grow in many locales, a new market for surplus meat helps overcome many hunters' reticence against taking animals that won't be used, they say.

"A lot of hunters think it's wasteful to take three or four deer if they can't eat it all," says the flannel-shirted Mr. Devine, a middle-school teacher. This program, he says, provides high-quality protein to people who need it, not to mention helping to "get deer out of people's pea patches."

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

Many hunters in Maine have been donating their deers to the needy for years you never hear much about it though, hunters own guns, lots of them and the Knee Jerkers don't like guns, they believe that guns jump out of closets and yell at their owners, "lets kill some people today".

There are more deer in Maine today than when the Indians ran the woods, my wife has killed two of them since 1987, with her car, Imagine what she could do if I bought her a gun.
    :bricks:

3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm not ready to fit these guys with halos just yet. Imagine just how much money gets spent on these 'charitable' hunts. Now take that dough down to the supermarket and buy food for starving people and compare it to how much food gets delivered.

I got nothing against hunting and anything that puts food on poor people's tables can't be bad; but this sounds similar to why I play Darts every Tuesday. I don't think I'd go all that much if the matches were held somewhere other than bars. I do rationalize. I say 'I'm NOT going drinkin, I'm going to play Darts;' but I pride myself in not saying 'I'm donating money to the poor bar owners & servers/beer company owners of the world.'

4. scott c

scott c On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thats a stupid analogy.............we spend our own money to do something we love............donating the meat is a bonus.............we dont need your halo.....................:rocker:

5. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +136 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

they don't??? that is strange because my guns talk to me all the time.

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

I'm not sure there's anyone here who's against hunting, especially legal hunting, since it is regulated to protect animals and provides food and other byproducts.

7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

wrong...

anyhow, you trust it to be regulated appropriately? because i know one county in particular in the sunshine state where 'regulation' is a joke...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  8. Turd Furguson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The only joke here is you boy.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

Putting On My Moderator's Hat

Turd, don't damage this thread by making it personal.

10. Turd Furguson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Putting On My Moderator's Hat

Wow, that was quick. Too bad you arent as quick on the draw with your fellow non-conservatives.

11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

Believe it or not there are plenty of people in Maine that still depend on Deer Meat as one of their main staples of food for the winter.

You haven't lived until you have sat around a Campfire with old boyhood friends deep in the forest with a jug of Red Wine as the Snow is falling with a big Chunk of Venison on a stick cooking in the fire smothered with salt & pepper.

I respect people that don't like hunting as there are many, many people who simply do not like "the kill" in short hunting is not for them, fine, it's the Anti Hunting "Nuts" that I can't tolerate, the phony bastards that walk into a restaraunt and order a Prime Rib that has been cut off of a cow that has had it's brains bashed in with a sledge hammer or has been electrocuted by a professional "Steer Killing Wino", then they go out and march with their silly signs condeming the "Deer Hunter", they are probably all Democrats :singing:

I don't know who slaughters your Sirloins today but years ago the only people that would do it were drunks, if I remember right they were not allowed to serve on Jury's.

In Pennsylvania there are so many Deer that the people are becoming more agressive against them and want to raise the Limit on how many can be taken, they now call them "Rats With Horns"

LOCK YOUR DOORS BAR YOUR WINDOWS AND KEEP A GUN BESIDE YOUR BED IT'S A WHOLE NEW WORLD OUT THERE.

ARM AMERICA'S SCHOOL TEACHERS NOW BEFORE MORE KIDS DIE. KILL THE KILLER BEFORE HE KILLS YOUR CHILD, DEATH TO THE MOTHER F-CKERS.

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

Re: Putting On My Moderator's Hat

You're not paying attention.

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

I never understood those who are against killing animals on humanitarian grounds. When you think about it, animals are just like us: they kill each other, they fight, they even commit crimes that can be compared to theft, rape, child negligence, and so on. And, many of them, if they had their druthers, would kill and eat us.

But, the plants! Why would anyone want to kill a sweet innocent spinach leaf. It's the very epitome of the values we strive for. It minds its own business, brings color into the world, doesn't harm a fly; doesn't hurt the environment; for all intents and purposes it's a true Christian. I think if you care about life, it's better to eat meat than plants, but ideally those people should stick to things like salt and milky ways and other utterly unnatural foods.

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

Plants like music, buy a nice plant, take care of it and every once in awhile sing to it, sing a song that you know all the words to, soon your plant will recognize you, if you have been away from home for a day or two as soon as you return walk over to your plant and put your face up cloes to it and then watch it closely, soon even though there is no movement of air at all in your home you will suddenly see the plants little laves start to move, this means the plant is greeting you home and wants you to start singing, try it.

Most plants love country music.