Welcome to PatsFans.com

Humanity Needs to Start Farming Bugs for Food, Says United Nations Policy Paper

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +569 / 6 / -2

Yum...

[​IMG]

Humanity Needs to Start Farming Bugs for Food, Says United Nations Policy Paper

By Paul Adams
    Posted 08.02.2010 at 12:59 pm 22 Comments

The raising of livestock consumes two-thirds of the planet's farmland, and is a major source of greenhouse gases. Meanwhile, tons of edible, sustainable protein swarms all around us, free for the taking. In a new policy paper being considered by the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Belgian entomologist Arnold van Huis makes the sensible recommendation that the western world eat more insects.

Farming edible insects like mealworms and crickets would produce far less greenhouse gas -- 10 times less methane and 100 times less nitrous oxide -- than the large mammals we currently farm. Insects are metabolically much more efficient, which makes them far cheaper to feed and raise; and, since they're so biologically different from humans, they are less subject to contagious disease scares like mad cow. They are high in protein and calcium, and, with over 1,000 edible species, offer plenty of delicious variety.

In April, the FAO started a pilot locust-farming project in Laos, where entomophagy is not unheard of, but where it's been in decline under the cultural influence of the West. According to the Guardian, 15,000 household farmers already raise locusts in Thailand, and that expertise can be transferred elsewhere.

Humanity Needs to Start Farming Bugs for Food, Says United Nations Policy Paper | Popular Science

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

I went to the Montreal botanical gardens a few weeks ago while on vacation, and bought a small box of barbecue flavored worms. The box is intact in my kitchen. I can't bring myself (or anyone else I know) to eat them, but the young woman who sold them to me said they were her favorite and she had them "lots of time." I once read a travel book about a guy who traveled around the world by land and water, and spent time in some of the cities in Africa that are hardly tourist attractions. He talked about eating at local restaurants and having to accept that some of the food contained live insects because insects were so prevalant.

I suppose someday we'll have to eat insects -- they are supposedly healthy and high in protein, but hopefully we won't have to worry about that in our lifetimes.

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

When my inlaws spent a few years in Liberia they were served termites. It was the only local source of protein for the locals. They were inland.

4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yuck.....but it may be necessary. In any event it's not hard to imagine having enough to go around. I hope they have good screen doors at the bug factories...... lol, how much ya wanna bet PETA does some nude protests over it?

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 2 / -9

Where I live I'm surrounded by Lobsters, Crabs & Clams, I have often thought that whoever the first human was that ate one of these things must have been awfully hungry.

Can you imagine never knowing they were edible, or never knowing that another person has ever eaten one and having somebody tell you to eat a "Lobster"

Look at the sh!t they eat in Asia and they have that sh!t hanging out in the sun all day.

Chico
    I'll get hit with the racist crap if I mention the people but how about a Glass Of White Wine And A Couple Of Barbecued German Shepard Legs.

:bricks:

6. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Um waiter, there's a bug in my.. bugs.

7. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

This is easily the funniest post I have read in a while.

Patters, are the BBQ worms fried? They might not be bad crispy. If they're soft though, I don't know if I could do that.

8. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Or we can just not over-populate the Earth but that would be the responsible thing too do and why would we do that?

I'm not eating bugs unless **** hits the fan, other then that the 3rd world can continue to eat them up as long as they want.

9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Back in the day when I had a motorcycle...

[​IMG]

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

11. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you eat crab, lobster, or shrimp you are already eating insects' cousins...both are anthrapods, so if you can eat those three species there isn't any real reason why you can't eat insects, grubs, larvae etc.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +569 / 6 / -2

Absolutely dude. I don't eat any of that crap. Bugs of the sea they are. I've been calling them bugs of the sea since I was a kid. Look at them. They look like over sized, red cochroaches with claws. YUCK! All tentacles flying all over, with nasty arse green poop inside when you squish them. GROSS! :eek:

13. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yep. Always found it odd that people can complain about regular bugs while eating those...

Frankly if there is going to be a crackdown on methane producing animals I'll stick with chicken thank you...at least those things are good for multiple reasons.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +569 / 6 / -2

I love chicken. You can make anything with it. Chicken parm, bbq chicken, fried chicken, chicken fingers, chicken picatta, chicken marsala, morocan chicken, and on, and on, and on.... Mmmmmm

15. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

God this is like an episode of Fear Factor:eek:

16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 2 / -9

I wonder what will happen to us if when we die and go to heaven we find out that God Is A Chicken.

If God is a chicken, imagine what he's doing to Col. Sanders.....

:singing::singing: