Welcome to PatsFans.com

Human Bones Successfully Grown in Lab From Stem Cells

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

2. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Very cool... and with using non-embryonic stem cells (at least if I read it right)!

"added human stem cells extracted from bone marrow or liposuctioned fat. "
  3. HarkDawg

HarkDawg Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

too bad we can't use Fetal Stem Cells

BS......

Fetus='s a symbiotic relationship in 1 direction. Fetus needs host to live. Host does not need fetus to survive.

Pro Life is BS and many of them are religious. If God put us on this planet he would want us to reach our maximum potential.

The playing God Argument does not work..... He gave human beings the ability of knowledge and science...... if we were prohibited from reaching our maximum potential we would not be discussing this matter right now. Fetus has no rights and damn the GOP for not allowing fetal stem cell research.

Playing God is a weak argument. Even the Conservative me hates this aspect of the GOP.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  4. HarkDawg

HarkDawg Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

embryonic SCR has much more potential....

slowing progress by making borders.:(
  5. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How can you damn someone if you don't believe in God?
  6. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Bingo. Embryonic stem cells have successfully caused tumors and lots of them. On the other hand, other types of stem cells, umbilical, marrow, etc... are curing many illnesses. Tufts is closing in a total cure for diabetes using umbilical stem cells. I saved my sons umbilical stem cells when he was born. They may come in handy saving his life or mine down the road.

Check this out...

Blood Stem-Cell Transplant Regimen Reverses Sickle Cell Disease in Adults, December 9, 2009 News Release - National Institutes of Health (NIH)

Sickle cell anemia will hopefully be eradicated soon..
  7. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Interesting. Just based on your post, I wonder if there's a higher power trying to nudge us away from the embryonic stem cells...
  8. HarkDawg

HarkDawg Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I believe in God.....

I believe in some omnipotetent being...

I just HATE Organized Religion
  9. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Why not take the easy route. Umbilical cord blood stem cells are now curing many diseases. Why are hell bent on finding a way to not grow tumors with embryonic stem cells? It doesn't make sense. If they could be sure that embryonic stem cells had a bigger upside than the alternative then there would have to be discussion, but until now they have done very little with the embryonic cells.
  10. HarkDawg

HarkDawg Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Embryonic SCR is very preliminary and it did not get far b/c of the bogus ban.

problems would have been fixed..... but the ban came and progress slowed b/c we can't tap into the banned source.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Personally, I could care less where the stem cell comes from.

It could come from a frog fart for all I care, if its helping to fix someone, I'm all for it.

religion has no place in medical science...

Faith can assist in healing as far as prayer goes etc, but thats about as far as I want "God" in the way of medical progress.

If you dont want an embryo healing you, REFUSE the treatment, its that frickin simple.
  12. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's ethics... you want science unchecked by moral principle?
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Its not like they are attempting to clone a pegasus-man...although that might be cool.

I think when it comes to attempting to CURE, there is no moral line to cross.

CURE THAT THING!
  14. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Okay so they can clone humans and put them in meat lockers to harvest for organs?

What about if they find a more effective method to transfer healthy organs -- should someone more "important" than you get your parts?
  15. HarkDawg

HarkDawg Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

oh the ethics argument

yeah like whaT IF 1 fetus experiment ends uncovering the cure for Cancer and it saves millions of lives.... save the ethics argument.

it is weak
  16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

Ah, pronouncements from the ignorant. The only thing ESC's have produced are cancerous tumors. Stem cells are producing therapies without destroying embryo's. Funny that you are unhappy therapies are being developed without destroying embryo's. That seems sort of sick.

Whay do you hate children? You feeling that the relationship between the baby duritn their fetal stage and the mother is one way continues. Are you in favor of killing infants after they leave the womb?
  17. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Depends on whose point of view... madmen throughout history have thought they were bringing well being to their societies by partaking in genocide.
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

This is a religious/social question because it sure as hell isn't a scientific one. If you're searching for a treatment or cure to a problem that desperately needs one, then you try everything you have at your disposal. Of course you wouldn't use rocks to find an answer to a biological question, but there is no reason to have ever ruled out the use of fetal stem cells other than religious/social objections.

It's not a question of whether ESCR is viable or useful or will ever produce a cure to anything, but one of how much will you let religious/social taboos get in the way of objective thought and utilization of everything at your disposal. It's obscene to restrict medical research for any reason that is not scientifically based. It's obscene to throw away valuable tissue from embryos or aborted fetuses just so they can't be used because the Pope says it's wrong to have an abortion. It's especially obscene when living children- with names and lives and people who desperately love them and would give their life for- are suffering and dying awaiting a treatment or cure.
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Right...the eugenics/holocaust arguement...of course...:rolleyes:
  20. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm assuming you're an organ donor?