PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Huizinga: Taylor deserves trade to a contender [April 2008 thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Huizinga: Taylor deserves trade to a contender

HUIZENGA: TAYLOR “DESERVES” TRADE
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 26, 2008, 8:39 p.m.

We know the report that the Miami Dolphins had agreed to trade Jason Taylor to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the 52nd pick in the draft was wrong because the 52nd pick has come and gone. But we still don’t know quite what’s going on with the much-discussed possibility that the Dolphins will trade Taylor.

A strange story in the Sun-Sentinel says that Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga thinks the team owes it to Taylor to trade him to a team that can play in the Super Bowl.

“He deserves that. If we can get him placed in a spot where he can go to the big game, then we would do that,” the Sun-Sentinel reports that Huizenga said on ESPN Radio 760 AM. “We’ve had a lot of conversation but we never really got down to saying trading him. That never happened. What’s the best thing for Jason? He’s got a big career ahead of him yet…He should go where he can go to the big game.”

Apparently Huizenga doesn’t think his own team can go to the Super Bowl.

But the strange thing about the Sun-Sentinel story is that it cites “an Internet report” as saying Taylor was traded, and then continues, “Taylor was traded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for three draft picks according to a report on NFL Network.”

We’ve been watching NFL Network all day, and we can assure you, NFL Network reported no such thing. We do not know which “Internet report” the Sun-Sentinel is referring to.

UPDATE: The Sun-Sentinel has now removed that article from its web site.

Hmm.

thanks Wayne for tipping your hand and saying he should be traded to a good team. LOL

Very interesting. SEND HIM HERE HUIZINGA. WE WILLTAKE HIM. :D

How funny would it be if the 'lphins got the Pats' 3rd for Taylor after getting a 2nd for Welker last year? :rofl:

Sounds like Taylor may have gotten wind of a deal and finally threatened to get ugly. Wayne wouldn't want that because he is a Miami icon. But this could cause problems with the guy who likes to shop for and with the groceries...

Unless he doesn't care and just wants his paycheck, no way Jason should be willing to finish out his career in Grudenville. And he can certainly put the kibosh on any deal just by saying he might retire instead... This is like the Borque deal. Miami is years away from winning. Taylor has been a good soldier through aweful times in So. Florida that were none of his doing. They don't want his $$$ tying up resources in a rebuild. He should get to go to a contender. Even if it gets them 50 cents on what Tuna wishes would be a dollar. He's 34 freakin' years old for god sakes...

Jerry Jones is on his phones.

If Taylor has any say in this, he is in New England next year for a third tomorrow.

The problem is, after what Welker did last year I don't see the Phins taking another PR hit by trading a stud to another team in the division. ESPECIALLY with a douche bag like Parcells calling the shots.

Buuuuut, it frightens me that the Chargers may take a run at him.

Buuuuut, it frightens me that the Chargers may take a run at him.

The Chargers already used up all their high day 2 picks.

How funny would it be if the 'lphins got the Pats' 3rd for Taylor after getting a 2nd for Welker last year? :rofl:

Hey man Huizenga said he OWED it to Taylor to send him to a team that can make it to the big game. If that's not the Pats, then who is? I'm all in favor of robbing the Fins blind a second year in a row and giving up ONE of our thirds for Taylor. Have him rip up his deal and sign a one year prove it ala Randy Moss. Our defense would be SICK.

Last edited:

The problem is, after what Welker did last year I don't see the Phins taking another PR hit by trading a stud to another team in the division. ESPECIALLY with a douche bag like Parcells calling the shots.

They had no choice. We could have "poison pill'ed the contract and signed him anyway. They would have gotten the second round pick and not the 7th. The Pats threw in the 7th to make it a clean trade and not stealing away a restricted FA. They wanted to keep peace in the division, and it was a classy thing to do.

If Taylor has any say in this, he is in New England next year for a third tomorrow.

I'm not so sure.

We aren't the only contending team in the league. We are certainly the best.

Taylor would probably go the Zach Thomas route and go to Dallas, for the same reason Zach turned us down..... He wants to save face and show loyalty to Miami fans. These players make a huge living from autograph signing shows and events. He would severely damage his ability to draw crowds and big bucks if he left for the enemy.

As much as I hate Dallas there can be no denying the talent they have already picked up on what was already a solid team.

Sure, tons of egos, a coach who cant get over him self and even a few thugs running around, but if they got Taylor on that team too, they would dominate the NFC far more then they did this year.

But I think Taylor is a NE kind of player, he has been on the outside looking in for a few years now, I think its pretty obvious from the things he has said over the past year that if he had a choice, he be a Patriot right now.

Maybe he tells other teams he has no interest in playing for them and tries and forces the Dolphins hand a little bit, wishful thinking.

They had no choice. We could have "poison pill'ed the contract and signed him anyway. They would have gotten the second round pick and not the 7th. The Pats threw in the 7th to make it a clean trade and not stealing away a restricted FA. They wanted to keep peace in the division, and it was a classy thing to do.

None of that changes the fact Welker went off and that's certainly not going to encourage them to make yet another deal within the division. If Taylor is traded, it won't be to us, Buffalo or NY.

He deserves that. If we can get him placed in a spot where he can go to the big game, then we would do that. We’ve had a lot of conversation but we never really got down to saying trading him. That never happened. What’s the best thing for Jason? He’s got a big career ahead of him yet…He should go where he can go to the big game.

Prehistoric bump, but it's week 15 and the Dolphins have a better shot of contending for the playoffs than the Redskins do.

Prehistoric bump, but it's week 15 and the Dolphins have a better shot of contending for the playoffs than the Redskins do.

And they are there without even using all those draft picks they picked up for him in the trade. I heard the other day that the Dolphins have something like 13 picks in the first four rounds or something for getting rid of all of their old guys. Can someone confirm/deny that? I would try Google myself but right now Google is down for some reason on the company PC.

It's a zombie! Aim for the head!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes