PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hue Jackson: "You must allow Ocho to be himself to get the most out of him"

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is that relevant. Chad Johnson, carson Palmer and the offense weren't the reason those Bengals team lost. There defense was really bad.why The Patriots haven't advanced despite having a great offense in the playoffs the last couple years)

Its relevant because he comes from coaching systems that haven't accomplished much. Sure that may be best for that one player, but that doesn't mean catering to individual players is best for the team.

All that being said, I think Chad is progressing and is doing everything he can to work his way into the offense. This isn't the same Chad from when Jackman coached him and this may very well be the most anyone can get out of him.

palmer to Ocho playoffs 05 4rec 59yds 0tds procuctive tag team

they look like woodhead numbers:rolleyes:

Maybe you haven't seen my add on.

Well does Bill Bellichik old style of coaching work anymore with today players. when was the last time Patriots won a playoff game. (sure your going to make the playoffs when you have one of the best Qb in the game) Just like shanahan looked like a genius with Elway and an idiot without.
What has Bellichik ever won without tom Brady .

Here is the Point what style works better with the new generation Bellichik (old school) or the new style - the rex Ryan and Hue jackson who make it fun to come to work every day and who there guys will go through a brick waLL to make their head coach look good.

Last edited:
Sweet, you pick one game to judge a season on. Now that's what I call internet posting.

Except it really was the beginning of the end of Cincy's brief flirtation with success that landed an idiot owners HC Marvin Lewis an undeserved seat on the Competition Committee.

Its relevant because he comes from coaching systems that haven't accomplished much. Sure that may be best for that one player, but that doesn't mean catering to individual players is best for the team.

All that being said, I think Chad is progressing and is doing everything he can to work his way into the offense. This isn't the same Chad from when Jackman coached him and this may very well be the most anyone can get out of him.

The fact is like MIke shanahan , Bill Bellichik has rode his sucess on getting a once in a lifetime Qb (Tom Brady) The patriots could have did it another way and still have been just as sucessful because they had Tom Brady.

That is the magic bullett not that Bellichik style is the only way you can be sucessful. let see how far his style takes them when Tom Brady hangs them up. (you can bet he will be out the door by than)

Maybe you haven't seen my add on.

Well does Bill Bellichik old style of coaching work anymore with today players. when was the last time Patriots won a playoff game. (sure your going to make the playoffs when you have one of the best Qb in the game) Just like shanahan looked like a genius with Elway and an idiot without.

Here is the Point what style works better with the new generation Bellichik (old school) or the new style - the rex Ryan and Hue jackson who make it fun to come to work every day and who there guys will go through a brick waLL to make their head coach look good.

Why, specifically, makes BB's style of coaching 1) old school, and 2) not fun?

Ultimately the players and coaches are there to get a job done which means people need to be held accountable and the errors need to be fixed, if you can have fun while doing it, great, if it winds up being a lot of work and not as much "fun" that's not what they're there for anyway.

Maybe you haven't seen my add on. Well does Bill Bellichik old style of coaching work anymore with today players. when was the last time Patriots won a playoff game. (sure your going to make the playoffs when you have one of the best Qb in the game) Just like shanahan looked like a genius with Elway and an idiot without. What has Bellichik ever won without tom Brady . Here is the Point what style works better with the new generation Bellichik (old school) or the new style - the rex Ryan and Hue jackson who make it fun to come to work every day and who there guys will go through a brick waLL to make their head coach look good.

They don't call this the No Fun League for nothing. The only Fun comes via winning division, conference or world championships. Bill has 3 world championship rings in this decade and a box full of other assorted jewelry. Rex has an 11 year old SB ring by default as the DC of a team that won one without an offense or a stud WR and wouldn't consider him for their HC position 8 years later. Hue is lucky he still has a job. He was the position coach on a dysfunctional team where the star players developed to became part of the problem rather than part of any solution.

Why, specifically, makes BB's style of coaching 1) old school, and 2) not fun?

Ultimately the players and coaches are there to get a job done which means people need to be held accountable and the errors need to be fixed, if you can have fun while doing it, great, if it winds up being a lot of work and not as much "fun" that's not what they're there for anyway.

Bill Bellichik has no Personality whatsoever. A rock has more personality than this guy. He was very lucky to get once in lifetime QB(Tom Brady) and he was sucessful and he con the patriot fan base into believing its his coaching stle why they are so sucesful. when it obvious who they have at QB. Mike shanahan found out the hard way, when you lose that qb you suddendly get alot dumber fast.

Sweet, you pick one game to judge a season on. Now that's what I call internet posting.

Ocho's only been in the playoffs twice, next big stage performance
playoffs 09 2rec 28yds 0tds. even better:rolleyes:

I'm rooting for Chad, Screw Hue and his rex ryan coaching advice.

i agree though, it was a cheap shot and theres another 09 cheap shot:p

Go Pats!!!

The fact is like MIke shanahan , Bill Bellichik has rode his sucess on getting a once in a lifetime Qb (Tom Brady) The patriots could have did it another way and still have been just as sucessful because they had Tom Brady.

That is the magic bullett not that Bellichik style is the only way you can be sucessful. let see how far his style takes them when Tom Brady hangs them up. (you can bet he will be out the door by than)

Nobody says that it is the only way to be successful but this is the way this team has been successful. Shouldn't we wait until Jackman actually has some success before saying his method works?

As for the rest of the nonsense, Belichick has had plenty of success as a D coordinator winning championships, something that Jackman and his style can't say. I know you want to defend your guy, but that isn't an excuse to spout nonsense.

actually bb has 2 sb rings as dc for the giants. went to cleveland and turned them around and now has 3 more sb rings with the pats. when's the last time the raiders won a playoff game with their super fun coaching staff. you can have rex ryan and his foot fetish freak show. we'll keep the jewelry.

Bill Bellichik has no Personality whatsoever. A rock has more personality than this guy. He was very lucky to get once in lifetime QB(Tom Brady) and he was sucessful and he con the patriot fan base into believing its his coaching stle why they are so sucesful. when it obvious who they have at QB. Mike shanahan found out the hard way, when you lose that qb you suddendly get alot dumber fast.

Bill's public/media persona belies his private/coaching persona. And it's not a personality contest unless your goal is to manufacture relevance driven by mediot spin. Rex was brought to NY because if nothing else Woody Johnson wanted the NY media to pay attention to the JETS and generate fan interest in a disappointing franchise looking to build a new stadium. Hue was brought to Oakland because his name was next on Al's list of guys desperate enough to go to work for me... And unlike Shannahan, Bill selected and developed his QB rather than inheriting one. In fact he had the stones to jettison the all pro #1 drafted $100M one he inherited... And unlike Hue, as others have mentioned, he earned 2 rings as a coordinator without whom the Giants under Parcells might not have won a ring. Remind me how many game plans Rex or Hue or even Shanny have on display in the HOF...

Thank you for showing that you know absolutely nothing about Bill Belichick. Everyone who knows BB on a personal level would tell you that. If you had half a brain cell, you'd have watched the NFLN Special on Bill Belichick and you'd know that BB has a very complex personality.

Oh, I thought that a very good paycheck and the desire to perform your best on the field and help your team win were what it took to get the best out of a first rate NFL player. Guess I was wrong.

You must have slept through the 2008 season where BB got them to an 11-5 record with a QB that didnt start a game since high school.

Unfortunately the facts run in the face of that as BB had the Pats 11--5 the one season the team played without Brady (one more win than the 2008 and 2009 Raiders combined and one more win than the 2005, 2006 and 2007 Raiders, again combined).

Vince Lombardi's career as an HC in Green Bay had a 100% overlap with Bart Starr's career to the extent that he never coached with another regular starting QB in Green Bay; so, are you suggesting that Lombardi rode Starr's success in getting his "once in a lifetime QB?" That's how foolish your statement is.

In the history of the NFL, great QB's and great Coaches have, together, produced great teams and only those with an ax to grind try to find the ultimately undefinable line between the two: Lombardi/Starr; Shula/Griese & Marino; Landry/Staubach; Noll/Bradshaw; Walsh/Montana, even Levy/Kelly though they never delivered a trophy.

Ultimately, critics of the Patriots want to have it both ways. But, in the end, they can't say that Brady is just a "System QB" on the one hand and that Belichick can't succeed without him on the other.

In the final analysis, though, I regard these divergent lines of criticism as compliments to what the Patriots have accomplished over the last 10 or so years. Those who are jealous are beside themselves over that success and can't decide how to knock the Pats and so they just throw the kitchen sink at them and hope something sticks.

Last edited:
What the hell does Hue Jackson know? He's blathering from a position of ignorance about how a receiver should fit in this offense with one of the top five QBs who ever played the game.

Right, Hue. The Patriots should adapt to Chad Johnson's lazy routes, inability to identify the defense and lack of understanding what his second cut is supposed to be depending on the defensive alignment.

Hue's got a splendid group of mentors and offensive schemes under his belt to make such ridiculous statements:

NFL head coaches under whom Hue Jackson has served:

Marty Schottenheimer, Washington Redskins (2001)
Steve Spurrier, Washington Redskins (2002–2003)
Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals (2004–2006)
Bobby Petrino, Atlanta Falcons (2007)
Emmitt Thomas (Interim), Atlanta Falcons (2007)
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens (2008–2009)
Tom Cable, Oakland Raiders (2010)

Get lost, Hue.

First of all let me state again that I wasn't for the Ochocinco trade. I thought it was a bad move, and so far the evidence has borne that out. That said, I don't understand why you'd think Hue Jackson doesn't know anything? He obviously had success with 85, and being a HC in the NFL I'd think that he's had success throughout his career. I'm not quite understanding what the HC's above him have to do with his ability to coach and or win. Jackson was asked about Ochocinco and he answered. I personally thought the interview was fine.

I have been trying to figure out how a WR could have the worst year of their career their first year playing with Tom Brady. The only thing that makes sense to me is Chad is not allowed to be himself or freelance out on the field like he did in Cinncinati. He played most of his career with Palmer and they knew each other well. He just doesn't have the same chemistry with Brady and is having trouble sticking to the play book.

I'll take "he's playing in an entirely new offense after a 7 week offseason" for the win.

The fact is Chad Johnson had his best season ever with Hue jackson his wr coach. So if the man tells your doing it all wrong with Chad johnson. I would lisaten- the man a offensive genius.

What was Cincinnati's record that year and how far did they go in the playoffs?

Then compare that to other featured #1 or #2 wide receivers the Patriots have had over the Brady years like Randy Moss, Deon Branch, Troy Brown, Wes Welker, David Patten or David Givens.

When Ocho actually delivers a few five or six reception 100-yard games, then he can be considered in the conversation.

Wouldn't you rather have Brandon Tate with his 2010 stats at this point? He caught 24 passes for 432 yards and three touchdowns, and had 41 kick returns for 1,057 yards (25.8 yard average) and two touchdowns.

Last edited:
First of all let me state again that I wasn't for the Ochocinco trade. I thought it was a bad move, and so far the evidence has borne that out. That said, I don't understand why you'd think Hue Jackson doesn't know anything? He obviously had success with 85, and being a HC in the NFL I'd think that he's had success throughout his career. I'm not quite understanding what the HC's above him have to do with his ability to coach and or win. Jackson was asked about Ochocinco and he answered. I personally thought the interview was fine.

So you think that Hue Jackson is correct in saying the Patriots would be better off adapting their offense to fit Ochocinco?

Great. Then the team could have the kind of success that Hue Jackson enjoyed with guys like Tom Cable, Steve Spurrier, Bobby Petrino, Marvin Lewis or the Broncos favorite punching bag Marty "Please,Please, Please, Don't Lose the Game!" Schottenheimer? All of these guys were out of their league as head coaches in the NFL. Marvin Lewis is running Animal House in Cincinnati and the best of the bunch, Marty Schottenheimer, was a solid regular season coach but shrunk as a head coach in every big game he ever coached - 5-13 in the playoffs.

Hue Jackson has not earned the right to suggest to Bill Belichick how he uses any of his players.

Last edited:

Hue Jackson has accomplished nothing that would remotely lead anyone but Al to believe he's a HC candidate... He couldn't even stick as a coordinator in most of his stops... For a guy like that to publicly second guess the way a HOF HC is handling one of his former players (with whom he never won a damn thing) is assinine.

Hue Jackson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye