Welcome to PatsFans.com

Huckabee's theology degree? Now says ain't necessarily so

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

A dishonest Republican? Who woulda thought ...

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59222

"Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee told the Christian Broadcasting Network he had a theology degree, he told voters in Iowa he had a theology degree, he repeated the claim in last month's CNN YouTube debate ... but, his campaign now says, it was not true.

Speaking in Iowa in October, Huckabee told a sympathetic crowd, "Anytime you have been a person who was identified as a pastor and you've got a seminary education and theology degree, people tend to worry about you."

In November, while appearing on the Christian Broadcasting Network, Huckabee said, "People look at my record and say that I'm as strong on immigration, strong on terror as anybody. In fact I think I'm stronger than most people because I truly understand the nature of the war that we are in with Islamofascism. These are people that want to kill us. It's a theocratic war. And I don't know if anybody fully understands that. I'm the only guy on that stage with a theology degree. I think I understand it really well. And know the threat of it is absolutely overwhelming to us."

Last month, during the CNN YouTube debate, Huckabee responded to a question to the candidates about their belief in the Bible: "Sure. I believe the Bible is exactly what it is. It's the word of revelation to us from God himself. ... And as the only person here on the stage with a theology degree, there are parts of it I don't fully comprehend and understand, because the Bible is a revelation of an infinite god, and no finite person is ever going to fully understand it. If they do, their god is too small."
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

holy bombshell... take care, Mike... thanks for playing... we've got some lovely parting gifts for you backstage... please leave...

too bad all this stuff is getting out now, just in case he took the lead on the Connish side... the DNC could have used it after the primary and it would have been 'slam dunk' ... i bet you the Rovians are the ones leaking this stuff on purpose... now rather than later...

Ron Paul needs to move into this vacuum...
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 6 / -8

Well, to be fair, if you believe the bible is word for word the literal truth, the whole theology degree becomes a much simpler affair, really. Sort of a pass-fail, one question test.

PFnV
  4. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

If we hold football coaches accountable, then we should hold Presidential candidates at least to the same level. What is really wrong here, is the bogus claim (LIE) pertains to religion.
  5. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Not in the least. In fact now that its been proven that you are just as Theologically* educated as a national figure like Governor Huckabee, I just might start paying more attention to the pre-game prayer.

*I'm willing to stipulate that that may not be an actual word.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -2

What a maroon. How can people running for such a position lie about their resume? What a fraud. With the lead comes the microscope Mike. I'm curious to see how this affects the GOP race. Who benefits? Does Romney regain his lead in Iowa, or does someone else come from the bottom toward the top? I read that Thompson did a really good job in the Iowa debate the other day, so is this the opportunity he needed to get back into the race? Lord knows he's been a dud & needs some pub if he wants a shot. Does McCain get tread from this? The more you read about Huckabee, the more comedic his candidacy becomes. The Huckaboom is about to implode.
  8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

He does have a B.A. in Religion, for a layman like me I'm not sure that it's a big deal to call it Theology vs. Religion; it's basically the same thing.
  9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +353 / 6 / -8

Sorta.

One of my BA's (concurrent so please nobody tell me I'm a career student...) was in Religion. I don't know whether there are "comparative theology" degrees, but basically, Huck is trying to tell his base he's got a credential that goes with reverendship.

If I hear "His B.A. in religion," it strikes me that he found the subject matter interesting, but that the B.A. wasn't something he went into as a career. If I hear a "Theology degree," I don't think undergraduate, although perhaps undergraduate Theology degrees exist.

Also, a "religion" degree suggests he was studying religion as an objective phenomenon, whereas a "theology" degree suggests specifics of one religion from the point of view of an "insider."

PFnV
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -13

No love for Huck here, sound as though he is a phoney minister in the Sharpton/Jesse Jackson tradition. Get Huck outta here.
  11. jack

jack Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ya the tv evangelist sound legit.....and the tent revival evangelist look legit.....And those moonies at downtown crossing look legit.....

And all those convicts behind bars who found god I'm sure are legit......

Is jackson a lying conniving cheat......Yes

Is bill clinton a lying conniving cheat...Yes

Now patsfan13 did George Bush LIE about the WMD's?
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -13

I was referrign to Sharpton and Jackson referring to themselves as ministers even though they didn't graduate with degrees in divinity like the phony Huchabee.

No Bush did not lie about WMD in Iraq. Thanks for asking.
  13. jack

jack Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Now that is faith!!!!!!
  14. jack

jack Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

To answer your pm you sent me....

I didn't volunteer at a VA...

I volunteered at a veterans homeless shelter....

Temper temper, patsfan 13:D

And you accuse me of lying without facts........Yet you believe bush isn't lying with facts proving he's a liar......OK!
  15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Did they claim to have theology degrees? I don't think you need a theology degree to be a minister.
  16. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

ummm,... yes he did... it's documented on video time after time..

anyhow... where is Fog? no comment regarding his "number 1"?
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -13

Your previous post made it sound as if you were working with vets from Iraq who were wounded. I am unaware of homeless shelters aimed at vets per se, care to share where this shelter is?
  18. jack

jack Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

veterans first nashua n.h.

Why are you are unaware of homeless shelters for vets?

Strange for someone who claims to support the troops so strongly as you...

Or do you just support bumper stickers and type bullsh!t.

Hmmmmmm?

Ya your believable!!!!As believable as someone who claims george bush didn't lie.....
  19. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +353 / 6 / -8

Well, can't speak for him, but in mine I took a couple of classes in Buddhism, a few of them in Christianity and Judaism, a significant books in modern religion class, and intros to Hinduism and Islam. You COULD, in my program, do the whole program in one religion or another, for what it's worth. But the basic point is that a religion program isn't a theology program... I wonder where he got his BA, and what the program there is. My sneaking suspicion is that he calls it "theology" because his base would rather think of him parsing verse after verse of Christian bible passages and fitting them into protestant theology, especially of the dispensationalist school. Probably what he studied was something different.

PFnV
  20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -13

I am not talking to you NEM I was talking to Jack in a PM this is none of YOUR business butt out.