Huard lobbied BB for Marino after Brady's 2002 AFC Championship Injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=166734

Marino a Patriot?

In a conference call with Dolphins reporters this week, Chiefs quarterback Damon Huard revealed that when he was a backup with the Patriots in 2001, he encouraged coach Bill Belichick to sign Dan Marino during the playoffs after Tom Brady sprained his ankle in the AFC Championship Game against the Steelers.

“Brady got hurt in the Pittsburgh game, and I did lobby coach Belichick that if Tom wasn’t ready to go, we should go sign Dan to get him on the roster so we could get him a Super Bowl ring,” Huard said.

Belichick didn’t recall the conversation yesterday.

“When you’re as old as I am, your memory isn’t what it used to be,” Belichick said.

Last edited:
SVN said:
i dont think BB forgets anything especially when can remember plays from the 1970's ...

Right.
He's the elephant who never forgets ... anything football, anyway.

Huard is falling into that self-deception
that we've all experienced
where the girl doesn't remember a thing about our great repartee
... or whatever.

Just when I thought NEM had the craziest ideas for the Pats offense, here comes Huard lowering the bar.

Duped post.

Last edited:
Just when I thought NEM had the craziest ideas for the Pats offense, here comes Huard raising the bar.

That idea makes no sense whatsoever. I hope BB slapped Huard.

Tunescribe said:
That idea makes no sense whatsoever. I hope BB slapped Huard.
Im sure Huard and Marino were friends and he was just trying to get his buddy a ring. Not a smart idea but an akward one.

Or maybe Huard was saying. If Bradys out for the Bowl you better sign Marino because even though he hasnt played in a while hes a better option than Drew.

This is a load of crap. It makes no sense whatsoever to sign Marino for one game (the SB). I doubt it happened. I know I would have booed Marino if he ever put on a Pats uni.

Pretty funny....I am sure players do that all the time...

sieglo said:
Duped post.

??

Remember that Huard took over for Marino in 2000, after being his backup for 3 years.

Last edited:
i think its more insulting to marino than anyone else to ask him to come and play or rather be a backup to drew to earn a ring...what if the pats lost ? huard is talking as if the pats were guranteed to win the SB before the game was played

I would have 100X more confidence in Marino over Bledsoe if Brady was injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots