PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How would you sum up each Pats season since our last SB win???

Status
Not open for further replies.
05 Darn Broncos
06 No team can stop us, but apparently the flu can
07 Psychogenic amnesia - I've read what has happened, but I recall nothing of that game
08 Brady goes down. Cassel earns himself some pay. Proud of the way the team played and an 11-5 team misses the playoffs
09 Mulligan. ACL/MCL takes longer to heal. WW threw off the game plan.
10 Unless you are Wes Welker. Rebuilding on the fly. BB is a master. Sadness as we lose first round in the playoffs to the Jets.
11 We're back. Underdog mentality. Mentally tough team. Hoping for the best.

'05: Double SB hangover. 3 years in a row is asking too much.

'06: Stunned. Hatred for Colts cemented--too many reasons to list.

'07: Sad, but Giants just outplayed us. No excuses (except that Asante can suck it!--good riddance). RS was a blast though.

'08: Furious with Favre and Mangini for deliberately tanking their game and keeping Pats out of playoffs. People say we wouldn't have done anything in the playoffs, and I say that's utter BS--far worse QBs than Cassell have won the SB and we still plenty of talent and leadership on that team.

'09: Surprised but not shocked. A lot of doubt creeping in that there was something seriously wrong in the locker room and/or FO

'10: Pissed. See '09--Pats were completely flat in the biggest game of the year, again (WTF?). Rex Ryan out coaching BB and Sanchez playing better than Brady is too much to think about--move on quickly.

'11: Great season--watching Gronk set a new standard for the TE position has been awesome. Confident we will win it all--complacency is completely gone it seems, the team couldn't be peaking more right now. BB, Brady, Welker, Wilfork, et. al seem to be on a mission to destroy. Watch out Ravens.

Here is the way I would describe it.
By 03-04 the Patriots had easily the best roster in the NFL, and had many players who had outplayed the contracts that allowed them to all be fit in under the cap.
If the cap was 100mill, and every player on the 2004 roster was made a free agent, they would have taken up 150mill in cap space.
From that point on, it was not only impossible to keep all of their players, each one they did keep took up a lot more cap space, they player they could afford to bring in as a replacement was a much lower level quality guy.
It was a natural course of events that the overall talent level was going to steadily decline. The decline and rebuild was accelerated by being able to get Moss and Welker and create a dominant offense while it lasted.
If you put aside the genius, and inexpensive moves for Moss and Welker, you can clearly see a steady decline in talent, and a rebuilding effort.
Rather than find it disappointing that the team has gone a whole 6 years without winning a SB, I find it remarkable that they have remained so competitve through the transition.

You are right…but letting Branch AND Givens leave as cap casualties was just a lack of foresight by a front office that perhaps overestimated its own ability to judge talent (perhaps they thought Chad Jackson could replace one or both of them).

You are right…but letting Branch AND Givens leave as cap casualties was just a lack of foresight by a front office that perhaps overestimated its own ability to judge talent (perhaps they thought Chad Jackson could replace one or both of them).

Branch really wasnt a choice.
Its kind of hard to argue they should have paid Givens what Tennessee did considering it turned out to be one of the worst FA signings ever.

05 - deserved to lose this one, we played like s**t
06 - with Branch we win the SB
07 - Somebody up there didn't want us to win. Asante dropping a sure INT, Rodney (arguably the hardest hitting safety of his time) can't shake the ball off the fingertips and helmet of the receiver, about 1000 holding non-calls on that o-line during that play,
08 - damn. and Brady's not getting any younger.
09 - didn't feel right
10 - magical season, huge disappointment in the playoffs
11 - similar to '10, but winning in the playoffs feels GOOD.

'05: Realized that we were living in a perfect world. Enforced the belief that if you turn the ball over 4 times you are probably going to lose games. However, despite doubling their yardage and keeping the score close I knew this game was a fluke. Still think if we had overcome those turnovers we would be looking at 3 in a row.

'06: As bad as that 2nd half was I will take it to my grave that we were jobbed by the refs. The face guarding penalty was ******ed because the pass hit Hobbs in the back way before he made contact with Wayne.

'07: Never has a losing team got more attention than this team has. Even in defeat it is talked more about than most of the super bowl winners. I'm still very proud of that team and think we win that game 9 out of 10 times. Giants played better that day but the loss still stings quite a bit.

'08: Despite the injury to Brady I was able to hang my head high with an 11-5 season. Probably one of the best coaching jobs by Belichick or any coach ever. Look no farther than the Colts of this year.

'09: **** happens. 14-2 and every bit shocked to see them go down. We lost the first quarter and the game against the Ravens.

'10: Things had to change after the Jets loss. Going down again after back to back 14-2 seasons signaled changes for this team.

'11: TBD

After writing this I am amazed at the overall success of this team. I know they can't win every year because of probabilities and such, but with a few plays here and there going our way we are looking at the 8 or 9 possible championships. It's really hard to fathom how great his franchise has been for so long. A lot of media, fans and players must truly resent this team for this.

2010 stings almost as much as 2007. That team had "destiny's team" written all over it. The way they were winning some of those games and the amazing winning streak to end the season were just awesome and reminded many of the 2003 team.

To lose to the Jets at home after beating them by 40+ just a few weeks earlier...IMHO that has to be an even bigger choke job than SB42. At least the Giants in 2007 proved in the regular season match-up that they really were almost as good as the Pats.

'05: Realized that we were living in a perfect world. Enforced the belief that if you turn the ball over 4 times you are probably going to lose games. However, despite doubling their yardage and keeping the score close I knew this game was a fluke. Still think if we had overcome those turnovers we would be looking at 3 in a row.

'06: As bad as that 2nd half was I will take it to my grave that we were jobbed by the refs. The face guarding penalty was ******ed because the pass hit Hobbs in the back way before he made contact with Wayne.

'07: Never has a losing team got more attention than this team has. Even in defeat it is talked more about than most of the super bowl winners. I'm still very proud of that team and think we win that game 9 out of 10 times. Giants played better that day but the loss still stings quite a bit.

'08: Despite the injury to Brady I was able to hang my head high with an 11-5 season. Probably one of the best coaching jobs by Belichick or any coach ever. Look no farther than the Colts of this year.

'09: **** happens. 14-2 and every bit shocked to see them go down. We lost the first quarter and the game against the Ravens.

'10: Things had to change after the Jets loss. Going down again after back to back 14-2 seasons signaled changes for this team.

After writing this I am amazed at the overall success of this team. I know they can't win every year because of probabilities and such, but with a few plays here and there going our way we are looking at the 8 or 9 possible championships. It's really hard to fathom how great his franchise has been for so long. A lot of media, fans and players must truly resent this team for this.

Much of this fanbase has hatred for a team that hasn't won a SB since the '60's.

Imagine if the Jets had dominated the past decade like the Pats have.

Its great to continue to WIN, while you are rebuilding! :eek::snob::snob:;)

That 2006 season we would have won the Super Bowl if we didn't choke it away in the AFCCG. That team was better than we might remember it as, just a shame that receiving corps was a joke. I assume I'm in the minority (probably the only one) that thinks that '06 loss to the Colts was worse than that '07 Super Bowl loss.

I was also upset that we lost an entire year of "Brady to Moss" when he went down in 2008. Would we have won the Super Bowl? Possible...that was a damn good team. We'll never know. But to not make the playoffs that year with an 11-5 record was a travesty.

'05 good team but really not good enough to pull it off, still a win in Denver was possible and the rest were beatable teams.

'06 good team but really not good enough to pull it off, but they way they lost it in Indy was a heartbreaker. Chicago in the SB would have been a rollover

'07 DENIAL

'08 tough luck, don't think we would have made that much noise in the playoffs anyway

'09 good team but really not good enough to pull it off, was beaten by a superior Ravens team, although the game could have been a bit more competitive

'10 That team was good enough to pull it off, although the rest of the games would have been hard. Loosing to the Jets is always bad, especially when they field only a mediocre team.

'11 We will We will rock you Rock You!

2005: Apparently the Pats are human after all. Team was only a little better than 2009, really. Not a big deal.
2006: Heartbreaking playoff upset #2
2007: 18-1
2008: Probably would have won the Owl if Bernard Pollard didn't take a cheap shot.
2009: We weren't really that good of a team.
2010: Heartbreaking playoff loss #3
2011: Incoming heartbreaking playoff upset #4

You do know that the Patriots went 10-6 in 2009, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots