PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How would you rate the Jones and Hightower picks?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What grade would you give the picks?

• A

Votes: 180 87.8%
  • B

Votes: 24 11.7%
  • C

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the weight issue either, since when is 266 lbs Light for an OLB. I have only heard of him recently but the way i'm looking at it is that BB Very Rarely misses on a 1st round draft pick, so there must be something there.

Yeah, it's almost laughable. Everyone who doesn't like the pick thinks this is supposed to be Richard Seymour's replacement. Pats are a different team defensively than the one 3 or 4 years ago. A lot of different packages ever changing to stop the run but also focus more strongly on stopping the pass.

I'll be honest and say I don't know much about him as I haven't seen any Syracuse games this year and wouldn't of thought twice if someone else picked him. Then they would of got one of my guys.;) However, I'm on board with the pick because BB is a mad scientist and I'm just a fan. Come off as an elephant type in a 34 in time with the ability to play 43 end exceptionally well right away.

Gotta love the Mayock love for the guy.

Hopefully Hightower is that guy we've been missing leadership wise since Willie McGinest left. IMO we win super bowls in 06 and 07 with the leadership of WM. He seemed like the locker room presence that made it all work. From what I hear, Hightower has some nice leadership as well and I'm hoping for similar results here in the future.

I rate the Pats draft so far far a A....

But good god, as much as I dislike Roger Godell, he had the handshake of the night...

hug17.gif

What's not to like?

Chandler Jones is this year's Pierre-Paul, similar measurables, lack of college production but great motor and potential. Those are rare traits that can't be taught. Great pedigree too. The rest is coachable.

Hightower is a versatile LB who was coveted by Steelers, Ravens, Jets. Coached by the great Saban. So there. BB got him.

Great for the Pats. Decisive. Quality. Impact.

you know I was thinking. It really doesn't matter how much WE liked or disliked this draft. What is clear is that Bill really liked the guys he picked because he traded up to get them. At least this year we know that these 2 guys were not the ones he HAD to take because they were the best of what was left when the Pats had to pick. These were guys the Pats TARGETED before this draft and went after.

I like the Jones pick for his potential. I know people think of him as 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE. However at his age and frame, I think he can grow into a true 3-4 DE and be the kind of guy that you can put into the middle on some of the pass rush sub packages to push the pocket and use his height and long arms to clog passing lanes.

I pretty much ignored Hightower predraft because I didn't think we needed an ILB that early, especially since we lose one ILB when we are in nickel, and we are in nickel a majority of the time these days. So why not only pick him, but give up draft assets to go get him. Here are a couple of thoughts

1. The Pats might not be as happy with Spikes as we are. And that makes sense since I initially saw Hightower as SPikes II, but with a lot more speed.

2. He was pick in response to the Jets move back to the ground an pound and Wildcat. A run subpackage with BOTH Spikes and Hightower could be tough on any run game.

3. His versatility = We all saw Upshaw as that perfect plug and play guy. A guy you can use at ILB, OLB, and DE depending on the match ups and game plan that week. Perhaps Hightower is that kind of guy, only more athletic than Upshaw in BB's mind IIRC he IS a 4.6 40 guy

I also love that they are both great character guys because we are going to need all that leadership when we draft Janoris Jenkins tomorrow ;)

Last edited:
First of all, I'm not a fan of ANY team targeting specific players - falling in love with them and trading up to get them. Draft picks have real value and to trade them away for a binkie seems a bit desperate. With that said, I think the team needed solid DEFENSIVE pieces to fix major issues.

I've had my doubts on Chan Jones for more than a month, but now that he is a Patriot, I'm hoping I was very wrong. Injuries are a concern, since he missed 5 games last year - but before that, he looked to had turned the corner. If not for the injury, Jones could had put up huge numbers and been drafted in the top 15 (a la Fletcher Cox).

I like his lineage... and I'm sure that his brothers will keep him working harder and harder to be good (if not great).

DHT was a pipe dream... a player that the Steelers or Ravens generally snag late only to pay dividends. What you see is what you get with DHT, meaning, there isn't a 'skies the limit' ceiling. The same could be said of Brandon Spikes when he came out of Florida. Like Jones, he has a history of injury which is a concern.

Overall, I see both players needing to come in asap and get coached up. I worry about how'll they'll be used and if they'll be able to acclimate to the scheme in year 1.

At worst, I think both will be an impact in key situations - making big plays on occasion. But like most rookies, I think they will have a learning curve to overcome and will make their fair share of mistakes.

Lets just hope that those mistakes don't put them in the eternal dog house.

I give it a sure A. Especially like the Hightower pick because he will take away most if not all of Ninkovich's snaps.

I give it a sure A. Especially like the Hightower pick because he will take away most if not all of Ninkovich's snaps.

Ninko was hardly this huge liability that people seem to make him out for now that we drafted Hightower. I think he improved alot and at this point i'm glad that he is among our LBs and i think he should definitely see playing time. Ironically I'm the guy who called Ninko a useless JAG during the 2010 season but i was wrong.

Last edited:

I'll believe that when I see it. . . .

A of course

what a great first round we had

Go Pats !!!

They're both high character guys, and if you're looking for bust-proof guys in the first round, I can't see any other trait you might consider (given they also have acceptable/fantastic measurables).

Everyone was talking about how this year, higher picking teams all wanted to trade down but couldn't find buyers. That created a sellers market. Trades that normally would've costed a fortune were being done for later round picks in this years draft.

Enter Bill Belichick :)

Surely an A. Filled need with talent and, I think, got value. The two moves used picks that were probably not going to materially contribute given the free agent spree and retention.

Good day for Patriot Nation.

I wonder if this says more about what BB thinks of the draft class than the two players he picked. Maybe he covets 2 guys and tries to turn one or both 2nd rounders into first rounders next year?

Finally! All the negative Nancy's need to find another reason because this addresses some huge needs on defense and shows Bill's interest and willingness to improve the D. I am pumped by these picks!:rocker:

Watching last night, you could have knocked me over with a feather! They traded up ?!?!?! I had just got done telling my son they'll trade out of one of these picks and stockpile picks. Trade down for value. Then BB moves up and takes two studs!!

I am very excited about Hightower. Knows how to play D on a championship level team. In my book, the fact that he's a leader on a team that won the national championship is huge! Love the pick.

I know less about Jones, but some of the talking heads loved him. Sounds like he's got big upside. It would be sweet if he pans out to a Willie McGinest type.

I like both of the picks and love the versatility that Hightower brings as he can line up at OLB, ILB, or DE in the 4-3. He brings back that "joker" type role that we had in the dynasty years with Willie, Bruschi, and Vrabel. Jones can do the same. I'm looking forward to watching these guys put their hand in the dirt, dropping back into coverage instead, and (hopefully) watching some confusion as opposing quarterbacks realize that they just slid protection to the wrong side. The only thing that I can complain about at this point is that Jones needs to get in the weight room and bulk up. He'll be a pass rusher immediately but needs to add some bulk to shed blocks on the edge and take on the run.

Now, with McCourty apparently making a full time move to safety, let's add a DE on day two and go secondary and WR and we'll be set. Wouldn't mind seeing Alshon Jeffry picked up, personally. But then again, I like the SEC guys more than most. :)

We definitely need DTs and 3/4 DEs. BB likes a rotation, but if you noticed in the SB, Love got pushed around and Deaderick was benched in favor of Ellis.

I gave it a C. An A for Hightower, and an F for Jones.

JONES ISN'T VERY GOOD! This kid will bust huge! You heard it here! Somebody save this post!

His stock rose because of what he did in shorts! BB got enamored with his size. You will be sorely disappointed with him.

At least the Jets took another Vernon Gholston!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back