Welcome to PatsFans.com

How would you rate the Jones and Hightower picks?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Brady_to_Moss, Apr 26, 2012.

?

What grade would you give the picks?

1. A

180 vote(s)
    87.8%
  2. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. C

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  4. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I give it an A. Finally some speed and more strength. Front 7 will be pretty good in the years to come
  2. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

#51 Jersey

Right now an A. Highly rated prospects in positions of need. What becomes of the rest of the draft and the on-traded picks will determine the value of these trades.
  3. captain insano

captain insano Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

i think most would agree they got the best available players and they filled a need. thats got to be a A? time will tell.
  4. Brady_to_Moss

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Jets fans trying to reach and find bad things about our draft so far :singing:
  5. Adam Seward

Adam Seward Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Would rate as highly favorable.
  6. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

I don't really understand how Hightower fits. Jones obviously plays 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, and Hightower would play 4-3 LB or 3-4 ILB. He would either be displacing Spikes or Ninkovich, and I feel like that would be putting talent on the bench.

But I still give them an A because there's not much else they could have done with the pick. I'm not as down on our DTs as most people are. Let's grab an interior OL (Silatolu?) and CB (Jenkins?) tomorrow night and anything else is icing on the cake.
  7. Ivan

Ivan Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 4 / -4

A+

Love this draft.
  8. Brady_to_Moss

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

What was Jones knee injury? ACL? Hightowers the same?
  9. SteveKiner

SteveKiner Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Gave it an A because this was my dream 1st round.

That's not good though becuase one of my most famous post draft quotes was. "Why the hell would they waste a pick on that Brady kid. They have their future QB in Michael Bishop"
  10. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

An A just for Hightower alone. He'll be an immediate impact player.

Jones may need some work with his pass rush techniques but is real stout vs the run.

After we add a CB w/ ball skills, we will have improved both the run and pass defense w/ 3 players. This, I have no doubt.
  11. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Playing Devil's advocate, Jones is not a guarantee to be a beast as a pass rusher, never had a 10+ season, and Hightower has a reconstructed knee. That being said, I'm personally excited about the potential of both picks. Love Jones' size and potential, and absolutely drool over what Hightower brings to the table as far as size versatility, and if he can stay healthy, he's just an overall stud prospect. Overall, I give it an A-, I understand the Jet's fans comments. Maybe a combo of Mercilus and Upshaw would be a more potent mix than Jones and Hightower.

I'm sure BB saw something in Jones that wowed him though.
  12. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Fantastic. Not what I was expecting. Better.
  13. hellolin

hellolin Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think the hightower pick is a Gronk pick, we moved up to grab what the Ravens want, Ravens knows this guy is the best available guy to replace Ray Lewis, and Nick Seban had told BB something that we don't know about Hightower, but everyone who saw the national championship game should know how good this guy is
  14. carolinatony

carolinatony Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Go read the Ravens board. They wanted both guys.
    I LOVE IT!
  15. Brady_to_Moss

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Jones had knee surgery as well..didn't he?

And hightowers knee was 2 years ago...numbers picked up last year which was his 2nd year back after the surgery
  16. eom

eom Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

you guys had better be happy with this draft -- 2 trade ups in one round.

and OMGPASSRUSH!!
  17. LetsGoBuffalo

LetsGoBuffalo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Went with B but the potential is there for that to become an A, and soon.

Nice job, the best team in the AFC adds some potential immediate impact.
  18. Ivan

Ivan Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 4 / -4

Given all the drool and streams of vowels that's pretty impressive.
  19. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

Hightower fits because, in a nickel scheme when the Pats like to play 2-Dline and 4 LBers, you can put Hightower and Mayo inside with Jones and Ninkovich outside.

Hightower gives them flexibility in the ILB rotation in the 3-4. Something they really haven't had and it has hurt them. Particularly last year when Fletcher and Spikes were both injured.

Jones can be the elephant ala Willie McGinest.. I believe that, with these guys, the Pats actually will have a lot of flexibility to rush the passer from various positions like they did in 2003 and 2004. When their pass rush was so effective.
  20. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

Jones did not have knee surgery. He had an unspecified knee injury and missed 5 games. To me, that says sprained MCL.. He played the rest of the season with no lingering issues and performed well at the Combine and his Pro-Day.

The thing that both of these players have is LEADERSHIP. Jones is noted for spending time helping teammates and coaching them up on the scheme and Hightower took over leadership from Rolando McClain and likes to spend time in the film room..
  21. BradyToAmendola

BradyToAmendola Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I love the Jones pick.

Hightower...not sold. I was under the impression he was a thumper in the middle. Basically a better version of Brandon Spikes. Not like I did extensive scouting on him or anything, but I watched him a couple times and I heard other people say he would be going to the Steelers to play ILB or the Ravens.

So not quite sure how that works out. Is he a 3-4 OLB?
  22. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +56 / 2 / -2

nailed it..should be a sticky
  23. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I give them an A just because they did something we've all been harping for them to do for the past couple of years: use both of our 1st round picks and go get front 7 defensive guys.
  24. sevengables_2207

sevengables_2207 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hightower played ILB in Alabama's 3-4, although I have heard that he could play outside. Basically the positional flexibility he offers as a potential 3 down linebacker was doubtless one of the qualities that endeared him to Belichick.
  25. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My guess is that he's competition for Ninkovich at SLB in the 3-4 and an LB in the nickel. He'll play everywhere though.

Athletically, there's no comparison to Spikes. Hightower ran a 4.68. Spikes ran a 5.05. And Hightower did it at 16 pounds heavier.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  26. BlueThunder

BlueThunder Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Hightower is a nice upgrade to the LB position......

Ninko,Mayo,Spikes,Hightower, Jones gives flexibility with Fletcher as an alt.

Anderson gone and Carter still a ????

2 players that should show results immediately...
  27. Peachhead

Peachhead PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

I gave them a B only because I don't know that much about Jones. But Hightower...grand slam! He was the leader of the best D in college football. Probably the best college D in many years. Plus he's a Saban guy!

Let's see Tebow try to run the wildcat against Hightower, Spikes and Mayo. Bwahaha....splat. The Jets ain't gonna be ground and pound against us with anyone.

The last time I was this jacked about a 1st rounder it was Wilfork. :)
  28. eom

eom Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I've seen a few posts on here questioning hightower because they feel we already have mayo/spikes, but let's remember players do occasionally get injured in the nfl.
    I'm not saying they drafted a guy to be injury filler, but depth at a position isn't as pointless as some people make it out to be.

anyway, he probably just puts nink on the bench.
  29. Ivan

Ivan Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 4 / -4

I thought Carter was a lock to return, and he still could, but i see this as a clear sign they are going 3-4 and staying in it with nickel and dime variations, no more flipping back and forth between 3-4 and 4-3, although they are likely going back to the 3-4 with the joker role that players like McGinest and Vrabel played that gave them both looks out of the same sets. i think this is a really good move and simplifies the defense in some ways so that they can focus on those schemes instead of trying to do too much with players who can't do it without subbing out, e.g..Anderson.

I'm excited about this defense, and it has been a while since i could say that, and that's before they add David in the 2nd. The DL is good and really stable while the LB corps has the potential they had in their best seasons. I really think they got themselves 2 great prospects in Jones and Hightower. I see Hightower as a player who is really football savvy with freak physical skills and he is going to step right in and contribute. Jones strikes me as McGinest style project with big upside, and I heard and interview with him that convinced me he is the kind of "kid" who understands just how hard he has to work and will do so willingly. I love the fact that he trains with his brother and see him as a prospect who will tear it up once he adjusts to the NFL, could be late this season but more likely years 2-5 and on.

I love that Belichick finally used his draft capital to go get players he targeted, and the fact they are both LB's who get after the passer makes it that much better, anyone still think they screwed up passing on Mark Ingram for this draft? I liken this to the Gronk and Hernandez picks, great things are in the future for both players. I'm a happy camper.
  30. Snarf

Snarf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A!!!

We should have done this 4 years ago. Nice work BB.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.