PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How would you game plan the opening drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I had a dream about the Jets game. Hear me out.
In this dream, the Pat's got the ball first and made it to the 35. No clue who got it there.

The first play was a play-action pass, fake to (I think Maroney) and a long Bomb to Moss for a TD.

Thinking about this, I wonder if the opening play may very well be scheduled as a statement play. I know the odds of sinking a 6 pointer on the first shot are uber-low, but really, for the team to come out firing rather than "game-managing", if successful, would probably set the tone for the game and maybe the season.

Before you beat me up, isn't that Bledsoe-ish advise? Go out there and sling it? Except this time with monster receivers waiting to grab it.

Anyway, just got me musing about how I would game plan the opening offensive drive.

What would you run if you got started at the 35? Some of you guys have an almost coach-like understanding of football and I'd love to hear what you would do.

Now where's that "Dumb Threads" thread?

Just messing. :D

Most coaches game-plan the first 15 offensive plays (or so). Like a script.

From first and 10 on my own 35 I would call a TD pass to Moss.

(Ok -- that was tongue in cheek. I love being in the stands and hearing "JUST CALL A TOUCHDOWN PASS" or "CALL A PLAY THAT BUILDS MOMENTUM")

I'd probably go with a conservative-ish game plan with some plays that have big-play potential mixed in. I'm a big fan of plays that look the same but aren't. For instance in Madden I'll usually find a formation that has about 5 different plays that all look the same pre-snap.

Maybe the TD is a stretch, but I don't think a play-action pass is all that far-fetched on the first play. I'd bet Mangini is banking on a conservative start to the game, and at home they're going to be amped up to stop the run or get after Cassel quickly. A fake would suck them all in, then you hit Moss for a 15-20 yard gain, or Welker for a quick out and a first down.

Now all of the sudden, the Jets have to think about a lot more. I think if we run on first down the psyched up Jets D is going to bury it for a minimal game or a loss. Eventually we'd be able to build up a running game, like we did gradually against the Chiefs, but it could stall the first drive unless we send a message.

I know it didn't work last sunday, but I see the flea flicker being used again with great success.

The Jets are definitely going to go into the game stack up against the run and force Cassel to throw. So play action might work nice. I think they might be best suited with a short passing game circa 2002. Spread the offense out and create mismatches since the Jets will be stacking the box.

Very first play - Cassel takes a 3-step drop, hits Welker across the middle for a first down.

We spread them out and run a couple of draws to Faulk.

Go for Moss in the end zone if we get inside their 30.

If we are in the red zone, pound the rock.

I think my first sixteen plays would include one OBVIOUS switch to bring Faulk in and set up for an out of the back-field pass and have Cassel run for first.

If we can show them in drive one that we still have the long-bomb and have added foot-speed at QB in the absence of the laser-guided footballs, we could actually make them MORE nervous. A full complement of solid runners and what I expect will be solid QB action that is basically able to be really hard to guess at for a long time. That foot-speed might make for a longer QB sneak option, hehe.

That said, I'd love to find a weakness and have a looong opening drive against their D ending in a demoralizing TD.

Dont be so quick to dismiss a dream...

I postedthis on Saturday.

I had a dream last night that Brady didnt play. It was like the 3rd quarter and a close game. Talk about a nightmare.

I had a dream about the Jets game. Hear me out.
In this dream, the Pat's got the ball first and made it to the 35. No clue who got it there.

The first play was a play-action pass, fake to (I think Maroney) and a long Bomb to Moss for a TD.

Thinking about this, I wonder if the opening play may very well be scheduled as a statement play. I know the odds of sinking a 6 pointer on the first shot are uber-low, but really, for the team to come out firing rather than "game-managing", if successful, would probably set the tone for the game and maybe the season.

Before you beat me up, isn't that Bledsoe-ish advise? Go out there and sling it? Except this time with monster receivers waiting to grab it.

Anyway, just got me musing about how I would game plan the opening offensive drive.

What would you run if you got started at the 35? Some of you guys have an almost coach-like understanding of football and I'd love to hear what you would do.

The problem with this is if it fails (i.e. INT by Jets) it will kill Cassel's confidence on the opening drive and send their confidence through the roof. That's not smart football in this situation. I'm betting that the Pats are more conservative and test the Jest's run D first, even if it doesn't result in points right away. (that means our D is going to have to hold them in the early going). The Jets were lousy against the run last year, and from what I read, Miami abandoned it too soon to know whether they have improved or not. I saw the Pats use a 2 back set at least once last week w/ Maroney & Morris. That might be an interesting way to go.

I like the idea of play action, also like the idea of going downfield. The key is to try to figure out what they might least expect and go with that. The LAST thing I want to see is an inside run. The Jesters are going to stack the line because Mangini is an idiot. The only thing I wouldn't do is use Faulk, or, if they do, hand it off to him. If you come out with Faulk and set up in a passing formation you're tipping your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes