Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

As a strategy, how does IcyPatriot's idea sound?

• I'd like it.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • I don't really care.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I wouldn't like it.

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Credit/blame to IcyPatriot in the thread on Todd McShay's mock.

I'm betting that Belichick uses Oakland's 2011 pick and a #2 to pick a decent 1st round player.

Then ... he'll trade our #1 pick for a #2 and a 2011 1st.

In other words, Pats trade up in the first in 2010 and down in the first in 2011.

Seems unlikely. Recall how NE has not made any major signings/re-signings, reportedly due to the uncertain CBA situation. NE is clearly uncomfortable with the near term future of the NFL's labor market. Drafting high would seem completely out of character for a team taking such a cautious approach to the next couple seasons.

I agree with BOR, the Pats could have had Oakland's firt rd pick this year, and they did not want it, because they are betting that the 2011 pick will be covered by a rookie salary cap. Meaning they can draft someone in the top ten and not have to sign him to a 80 million dollar contract. A very smart move.

I could see BB trading out of the first round again this year (assuming that the Pats will pick sometime @ #24). If you look at it, history will show you that there is not much difference between first and second rd picks once you get out of the top twenty.

I agree with BOR, the Pats could have had Oakland's firt rd pick this year, and they did not want it, because they are betting that the 2011 pick will be covered by a rookie salary cap. Meaning they can draft someone in the top ten and not have to sign him to a 80 million dollar contract. A very smart move.

I could see BB trading out of the first round again this year (assuming that the Pats will pick sometime @ #24). If you look at it, history will show you that there is not much difference between first and second rd picks once you get out of the top twenty.

AFAIK, Al Davis never offered a first this year (I believe that the Pats were originally asking for a second for Seymour [2010 2 = 2011 1], but that Davis balked and then offered a 2011 1. I have to think that if Davis were insane enough to offer a 2010 1 for one year of Seymour, that BB would have driven Seymour to the airport himself.

Seems unlikely. Recall how NE has not made any major signings/re-signings, reportedly due to the uncertain CBA situation. NE is clearly uncomfortable with the near term future of the NFL's labor market. Drafting high would seem completely out of character for a team taking such a cautious approach to the next couple seasons.

Agreed.

2010 is likely to be very deep, more so than 2011, which will probably be richer at the top, and which will most likely have a rookie salary scale. Why throw away a shot at getting a blue chip guy at a reasonable price, when there are plenty of other comparable players in 2010?

I can see a small trade up if someone is within 10 picks of where we draft. But not the kind of move suggested here.

I like it. I want to win another super bowl soon. Not 2 seasons from now. We need to make a big move the next draft. I cant see us doing anything next year if we dont. We are rebuilding while trying to win this season without anyone knowing. Now its starting to show but all the idiotic nfl fans from other states cant seem to see that and are saying NE is finished. We will show you who is finished.

Credit/blame to IcyPatriot in the thread on Todd McShay's mock.

In other words, Pats trade up in the first in 2010 and down in the first in 2011.

Depends on which player go up for. If we trade up in 2010 and down in 2011 and take a kicker with the 2010 pick, I might be disgruntled.

However if we drafted the punter from Georgia (48.8 yard ave.), then I might not mind so much, although I do not think he is draft eligible for a while.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back