PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How would you feel if Merriman were the face of the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm not talking about his on-field talent, obviously every team in the league would kill to have Merriman (especially Dallas ;) ).

But I'm over on the SD Trib website, and Merriman's face is plastered everywhere. He is The Franchise. I mean, here is this team with the league MVP, an insanely good RB on par with Payton & Sanders, and all you hear and see is Merriman.

I don't even want to bring up the steroids and suspension, that's a whole other issue. Just focusing on the fact that he is a bit of a ****y loudmouth, how would you feel if that sort of personality was what defined the Patriots?

I was just thinking about it and I suppose he is the kind of guy you dislike on another team but love on your own, so I guess I would be OK with it.

But let's just say that I am happy & proud that the face of this franchise is Tom Brady and not a Merriman/Ray Lewis/Chad Johnson type. Another thing somewhat complacent Pats fans should recognize and be happy for. :)

I must admit that I would be more tolerant of his schtick if he were on the Pats, although I would think that he would pipe down a little with Rodney, Brady and Seymour around.

i have no problem disliking a guy who helps my team. when guy's like damon and millar were the vocal faces of the Sox they drove me nuts.

it's the same state which adores barry bonds so I'm not really surprised

Please Merriman up until his steroid suspension has been on everyones wish list of players to have.

He's not even in the same league as a Chad Johnson and Ray Lewis type player in terms of mouthiness.

If he didnt f up the steroids test.

Then he would be a great competitor.

it's the same state which adores barry bonds so I'm not really surprised

I think it is the city where they threw a needle at Bonds on opening day a year or two back. Talk about hypocracy.

Is there an icon for vomiting??

How would you feel if Merriman were the face of the Pats?

Are you kidding? People here would go beserk. They got on Ellis Hobbs last year for being a showboat.

I suppose though, if we didn't have a classy team, or Tom Brady as the face of the franchise, we'd be falling over ourselves praising Merriman or TO or Ray Lewis.

Personally, I think the world of Tomlinson. Kind of embarrassing for fans to be idolizing Merriman with LT on the team.

That's okay. He has had his four game suspension. One more dip into the steroid bucket to maintain his performance level and we won't have to talk about him for a whole year.

As one who was hoping he'd drop or that the Pats would trade up to get him, I have to admit that I'd be a little embarrasssed if he acted like that in our uniform. That said, the vets might have have been able to set him straight.

Yeah those poor Chargers with Merriman while the Pats have "classy" Rodney Harrison - the most fined cheap shot artist in the history of the league.

"In his career he has been fined over $300,000 (more than any player in the history of the league). The fines were the result of various late, helmet-to-helmet, and other illegal hits. A Sports Illustrated poll of 354 former and current players published in October, 2004 named Harrison the league's dirtiest player."

So what's worse? Merriman's actions or Harrison repeatedly taking illegal shots on players that could maim them and end their careers?

Last edited:
LT, Rivers, Gates? Sure.

MERRIMAN!? *insert vomiticon here*

Merriman has his face in front of a camera a lot and he comes off as a 100% idiot. These types of players either aren't on the Patriots or are not allowed by the Patriots to interact with the media in the way Merriman does.

Yeah those poor Chargers with Merriman while the Pats have "classy" Rodney Harrison - the most fined cheap shot artist in the history of the league.

"In his career he has been fined over $300,000 (more than any player in the history of the league). The fines were the result of various late, helmet-to-helmet, and other illegal hits. A Sports Illustrated poll of 354 former and current players published in October, 2004 named Harrison the league's dirtiest player."

So what's worse? Merriman's actions or Harrison repeatedly taking illegal shots on players that could maim them and end their careers?

I'll take Harrison and his attitude any day. If you listen to interviews with Harrison and Merriman, its pretty obvious who is the articulate well-spoken leader and who is not. As far as Harrison trying to maim people, that just ridiculous... he plays on the edge for sure, hits hard for sure but i have never seen Rodney make any hit that in any way seemed like an attempt to injure. If you have examples of some, please let us know.

Last edited:

Maybe when he was in SD he was throwing illegal hits left and right. i have no idea. but most of his time in NE he's been getting fined based on reputation alone. that and for daring to hit Colts players.

he doesn't get flagged for illegal hits very often, it's always the league targeting him after the fact.

id feel like becoming a bills fan.

Last edited:

Ummmm I'd take Rodney ANY DAY! I was pissed we let him go. Fined? Whatever so be it. Cheapshot artist? Dude get a clue. When you play as aggressive as Rodney some people (refs & NFL front office) get freaked out and put a watch on you. I saw so many legal hits when he was in S.D. that were called just because it was a hard hit. I enjoyed watching Rodney play in S.D. and still like watching him in N.E.

Rodney can't hear you, his superbowl rings are plugging his ears :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye