PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How would you feel about this Offense-Early Draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickw308810

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
This is the final interactive mock we did at nflfans.com/draft. We had 3 gms working together so it is tough to get everyone we each wanted, but I think we put it together well. Will offer explanations for all picks if asked. We traded 21+75 for 14.

14. Chad Jackson WR Florida
52. Joseph Addai RB LSU
86. Guy Whimper OT East Carolina
106. Kai Parham ILB Virginia
118. Marcus Maxey CB Miami
136. Pat Ross OC Boston College
191. Brandon Guillory OLB ULM
205. Willie Reed WR Florida State
206. Josh Huston K Ohio State
229. Cooper Wallace TE Auburn

UDFA
DT Alvin Smith Oregon State
DE Brennan Schmidt Virginia
DE Brent Hawkins Illinois St.
QB Brett Basanez Northwestern
SS Charlie Peprah Alabama
WR Demarious Bilbo Georgia Tech
RB Derrick Ross Tarleton State
TE Ed Nelson Uconn
DE Garrett McIntyre Fresno State
DT Gerald Anderson Georgia
CB Harrison Smith California
DT Jeff Littlejohn Middle Tenn St
K Jon Scifres Missouri State
OT Mark LeVoir Notre Dame
QB Matt Gutierrez Michigan
TE Quinn Sypniewski Colorado
CB T.J Rushing Stanford
QB Travis Lulay Montanta State
MLB Valentine Chude New Mexico State

nickw308810 said:
This is the final interactive mock we did at nflfans.com/draft. We had 3 gms working together so it is tough to get everyone we each wanted, but I think we put it together well. Will offer explanations for all picks if asked. We traded 21+75 for 14.

14. Chad Jackson WR Florida
52. Joseph Addai RB LSU
86. Guy Whimper OT East Carolina
106. Kai Parham ILB Virginia
118. Marcus Maxey CB Miami
136. Pat Ross OC Boston College
191. Brandon Guillory OLB ULM
205. Willie Reed WR Florida State
206. Josh Huston K Ohio State
229. Cooper Wallace TE Auburn

8 out of 10 are offensive players? there's no way on earth BB would put together a draft class like this. and then rely on undrafted free agents to bolster the D? (i'm not even sure you can win at Madden that way)

capetide said:
8 out of 10 are offensive players? there's no way on earth BB would put together a draft class like this. and then rely on undrafted free agents to bolster the D? (i'm not even sure you can win at Madden that way)
6 are offensive, 3 defensive, and one ST... by my count.

Here's my take on your draft:

Jackson - I like this pick (I would have liked Holmes even more), but I wouldn't have given up the 3rd rounder to move up. I would be happy to just sit there and see which of the WRs or LBs drops to 21. Just out of curiousty, were Lawson, Greenway, Wimbley, and/or Carpenter still on the board at 21?

Addai - I'm OK with him, but I think a TE would present more value at this point.

Whimper - From what I've read, this guy is nowhere near ready to play yet. That makes him a project. And I can't see the Pats spending a day 1 pick on an OL project. That's what they do with UDFAs.

Praham, Maxey and Ross - I like all of these.

Guillory - must admit I've never heard of him and I can't even find a scouting report on him. So I give you the benefit of the doubt, but I wonder if he could have been had later on.

Reid - not a bad place to take a flier. Was Skyler Green still available?

Huston - perfect spot to take a kicker

Wallace - the obligatory TE. Pretty good pick. At this point, everybody's a long shot anyway.

Overall, I think your draft wil give the Pats little help in 2006. But could pay dividends in 2007.

Last edited:
Jackson, I do not think we need a frightened Wide out. This guy has a serious case of the yips.

Addai - I would prefer a runner that can actually cut to the hole.

Nope!

bucky said:

Jackson - I like this pick (I would have liked Holmes even more), but I wouldn't have given up the 3rd rounder to move up. I would be happy to just sit there and see which of the WRs or LBs drops to 21. Just out of curiousty, were Lawson, Greenway, Wimbley, and/or Carpenter still on the board at 21?

Addai - I'm OK with him, but I think a TE would present more value at this point.

Whimper - From what I've read, this guy is nowhere near ready to play yet. That makes him a project. And I can't see the Pats spending a day 1 pick on an OL project. That's what they do with UDFAs.

Guillory - must admit I've never heard of him and I can't even find a scouting report on him. So I give you the benefit of the doubt, but I wonder if he could have been had later on.

Wallace - the obligatory TE. Pretty good pick. At this point, everybody's a long shot anyway.

Overall, I think your draft wil give the Pats little help in 2006. But could pay dividends in 2007.

One future statrter MAYBE in Whimper in three years. A couple of backups Addai, Parham and that's about it. Cooper might make the team since there is no third TE, but I wouldn't count on them not signing another jag off the street who could easily beat him out.

Seems like very little for 11 picks with multiples in 3 and 4. I'm sure that the 9ers, Texans, Saints and Titans were able to stock their reserves from YOUR draft via the waiver wire...

Last edited:
You "used" (one via trade) the top 4 picks on offense. I ascribe a 0.0005% chance of our favorite team doing this on draft day. I haven't gone back to check on our prior drafts, but in '01, '02 and '04 we drafted a defensive player with the first pick we had (DLine each case), and I know we also spend a 2nd (Wilson), 2nd (Hill), 3rd (Scott), 3rd (Hobbs) 4th (Samuel), and 4th (Sanders) and that's just off the top of my head over the last few years.

The concept of not drafting a defensive player until teh 5th round is so anti-Belioli that it's mind-boggling.

of course, maybe you'll hit in 2 or 3 of these picks, in which case, GREAT JOB, but conceptually, no way we're using the top 4 picks in a row on one side of the ball.

AzPatsFan said:
One future statrter MAYBE in Whimper in three years. A couple of backups Addai, Parham and that's about it. Cooper might make the team since there is no third TE, but I wouldn't count on them not signing another jag off the street who could easily beat him out.

Seems like very little for 11 picks with multiples in 3 and 4. I'm sure that the 9ers, Texans, Saints and Titans were able to stock their reserves from YOUR draft via the waiver wire...

I actually think Praham could be a 2 down LB, maybe even as a rookie. Chad Jackson is a young guy, so I would think it'll take him a while to get into the flow. But out of this draft, I would expcet Jackson and Addai to be starters in 2007. Whimper, like I said, is a bad choice. Ross could be a starter if Koppen leaves. Everyone else is pretty much a ST player and/or a crap shoot. But isn't that usually the case with 6th and 7th rounders?

bucky said:

Carpenter was picked at 21 by the Eagles, the others were all gone. We picked Carpenter in the previous mock so we wanted to try something different.

As far as Addai goes he is my favorite back in the draft (Reggie doesn't count). He is the top blocker, has great hands, and is a powerful inside runner. He could be the single back or the fullback. He also has shown the willingness to play special teams. He would get on the field plenty as a rookie.

With 10 picks to go we had Mark Anderson, Joe Klopfenstein, and Danaiel Manning on our board. One of the 3 surely had to drop right? Nope. We only got 1 minute for our pick and our whole list was gone, and with 3 GMS we came up with a compromise. We thought that Chris Cocong would have lasted until our 4th rounder and he didn't, so if we did it again we would have made him the pick. I like Whimper though and love his athleticism.

Since we didn't have a defensive player we went with a LB with versatility to play 3-4 OLB or ILB.

Maxey offers us something that our other CBs don't have: size. Plus he can play some FS.

Ross would be the future replacement for Koppen.

Guillory is 6-4 252 with 4.55 speed. He has experience at both DE and OLB. Had 10 sacks last season.

Green was gone in the 5th round, the pick after we chose Ross. Reid played HB/WR/KR at FSU. He was willing to do anything to help FSU win. Plus he has 4.34 speed. Explosive punt returner and managed 50 receptions last year.

Huston was brought in to challenge Gramatica. We also signed Scifres as a UDFA.

We felt Cooper Wallace was good value, we also signed Quinn Sypniewski and Ed Nelson to battle him for the #3 TE spot.

As far as the rest of our UDFA we landed 2 NT in UDFA in Anderson and Littlejohn. 3 QBs in case we don't sign a veteran 3rd in Basenez, Lulay, and Gutierrez. 1 RB who we felt is a steal in Ross and a versatile WR in Bilbo. We also added 3 DBs who could all be drafted in Peprah, Smith, and Rushing. Chude is my sleeper at ILB, and Schmidt, Hawkins, and McIntyre could all play 3-4 OLB. Unfortunately we only landed 1 3-4 DE in Smith and 1 OL in LeVoir.

I also wanted to add our trades that fell through. We were going to trade down with the Bears and pick up their 3rd and a pick next year. That fell through because they lost their 3rd when they signed Ricky Manning Jr. So instead we traded up.

Then we were going to make another trade with the Eagles giving up pick our 2nd 4th rounder to move up in the 2nd and take Richard Marshall. Ironically, the Bears chose Marshall in the 1st after missing on Cromartie, the player they were making the deal with us to get.

Last edited:
Being an Auburn student, I will definitely be excited if we pick Cooper Wallace. Some things I have noticed about him, definitely your average TE, good blocking and has some good hands, it was a shame our OC (Al Borges) didn't really utilize him as much as we would have liked. But when he was in the game plan, he shined.

Basically I would NOT feel good about it at all.

bucky said:
I actually think Praham could be a 2 down LB, maybe even as a rookie. Chad Jackson is a young guy, so I would think it'll take him a while to get into the flow. But out of this draft, I would expcet Jackson and Addai to be starters in 2007. Whimper, like I said, is a bad choice. Ross could be a starter if Koppen leaves. Everyone else is pretty much a ST player and/or a crap shoot. But isn't that usually the case with 6th and 7th rounders?

Jackson is a workout warrior more reminiscent of Tony Simmons then even BJ. And BJ is faster and quicker; his SS and 3 cone were great. Jackson's equivalents suck, revealing speed but no quickness or agility. He'll have a career just like Tony's.

Addai is a clone of... Patrick Pass. Pretty good at a lot of things, master of absolutely nothing. Like Pass a part-timer; unlike Pass a 2nd not 7th rounder. He'll never be more than the depth that Pass provides, as he has no running skills other than speed.

Parham is exactly what you say; but may be too slow to be used consistently on first and second down..i.e. part-timer.

Whimper is a project whjo might play in htree years after going to Dante's School. The new CBA restriction on four year contracts make 4 year projects not very enticing.

Ross has to get by Russ Hochstein, RossTucker, (who everyone forgets), and Gene Mruczkowski before he can contemplate takingover for a Koppen leaving. That's too many hills to climb...

Whose job other than maybe Poteat's will the DBs win?

Like I said 11 picks for a future maybe-starter and a couple of reserves is not very good.

AzPatsFan said:
Like I said 11 picks for a future maybe-starter and a couple of reserves is not very good.
And how do you know this, and who in your mind is a definite starter?

Just to let you know, Chad Jackson also had great stats, and wasn't just a "workout warrior".

bucky said:

Hey Bucky, was that you on American Idol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back