Welcome to PatsFans.com

How would small government make your life better?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

Help me understand this. Let's suppose, we got back to basics, and had a small federal government and low taxes, what would be different for you?

(1) You'd have more money in your pocket, assuming your boss didn't let you go and hire someone cheaper or because they were prettier.
    (2) The freeloaders would be left to fend for themselves, and you'd have all the guns and ammo you need to protect yourselves.
    (3) You could get rid of immigrants, blacks, gays, and other pests simply by not allowing them in your restaurants, apartment complexes, and stores.

What else?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +662 / 13 / -28

its really hard to respond to such nonsense.......but

1 - I'd have more money in my pocket.......my boss letting me go is not dependent upon govt size.....unless of course I was working for one of the ridiculous govt agencies

2 - given police officers are paid by my property taxes, I'd say govt size has nothing to do with this
    3 - again.....nothing to do with government size.....

you need to come up with some relevant points

3. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Patters, you're better than this.

4. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

Very fair question, Patters.

Smaller government means I could be more active in voluntary associations, the "little platoons" Edmund Burke writes about, such as the Boy Scouts (I was an Eagle Scout.), and I could give more money to charity.

This year, because of an expected $3,000 increase in my taxes, I am limiting what I am giving to charity, perhaps excluding one or two, such as Catholic Charities (the religion of my wife) and the United Way.

Dennis Prager writes that when the government grows larger, the people become smaller. I agree. Big Government Means Small People - Dennis Prager - National Review Online
    Americans would become more virtuous and more self-reliant--necessitating better local and more robust locally based institutions--than they are with Big Gubmit.

5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There'd be a gigantic building boom in this country if building codes were eliminated. That would put money in my pocket in no time flat. I mean in less than a month my finances would do a complete U-turn.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

If they were eliminated dangerous crap would be built, modified is more like it. Unscrupulous contractors would be rich fast...

You need some standards, even though the standards today are too stringent and prohibitive for contractors & people who seek their services.

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

I simply stated the reasons why I think libertarianism is a bad idea. All the things I stated are reasonably possible in a libertarian, small government world. Do you disagree?

8. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

So, if we cut taxes you would do more charity work. I don't see the relationship. But, as far as you giving more to charity, that's very nice. I would too. They'd need them, since so many charities depend of federal grants.

I agree the desperate would commit to desperate measures if they could not find jobs, or they had to protect their families. So, that's the self-reliant part. As far as people becoming more virtuous, if you go back to the days of that kind of virtue you hand lynchings, slavery, spousal rape, child abuse, and all sorts of untold secrets. Your virtuous world is as mythical as the belief that Washington never told a lie.

To promote virtue and self-reliance, we need to spend more on education and introduce classes on ethics and civics. The frustrating thing about you, State, is that in a way I agree all the immigrants are threatening what's good about American culture. If we don't invest in education, not only for children, but adults, it will be developed for the things we both like about American culture to prevail. For instance, if you object to Spanish becoming so much a part of American culture, then support increased spending on English.

9. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Or you can start your own business, and put your god given talents to a very productive use. Or you can be good at what you do, and be a value to your boss... You fear for the people who prove to not be valuable enough to keep... I will only pay people who produce and add value for my customers, am I supposed to keep marginally productive people on the pay roll?

Um no... People would help each other, you should see how mexican and south American families act here in America... they are poor as hell but all eat, and take care of each other. We can't afford to ensure every family has a big screen TV, AC, XBoxes, and Laptops... time to scale back what it means to have a happy life for those who don't want to try hard or leverage their gifts...

Are you serious? You sir are pathetic...

Actually no, I would open up business to welcome all becuase I want to make as much money as possible, the free market rewards the businesses who can attract the most customers, not the ones who protect services for the few...

10. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

You could open your own business now, and would not be expected to keep unproductive people. A tax drop, even the most extreme, is not going to put that much more in your pocket, especially if we went with a flat tax.

No one wants the government paying for big tvs and xboxes. A relatively small number of people abuse the system, and in any scenario we should crack down on fraud. Most of the very poor live very poor, but as you point out with Mexican and Souther American families, most families even now try to help out, passing the old flat-screen tv or xbox on to a needy relative.

You would be like that, I believe that, but I also think in some religious communities there are stores and apartment complexes that would not serve gays or transgendered people. I believe there are areas of the country where businesses would choose not to serve Hispanics, blacks, Jews, whites, Christians, Muslims you name it, and simple economies of scale tells me that minorities would suffer most. It doesn't always make good business sense to be tolerant. I could definitely see some people only going to stores that served their group but not another.

11. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That's how you small-government guys get by, by just denying the fantastic triumphs of government. In the 70's some white guy beat a black guy over the head with a flag of all things. I'm not kidding, a real US flag on a pole was used as a weapon. Why? because some black kids tried to go to school at Southie High. Those shameful days are long since over and its the government that deserves the credit.

12. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I have, and I pay about he same tax on my income, but I get destroyed on taxes I have to pay for employing others... See my tax is 15%, employees pay 7%, and the employer pays the other 7%... So I have to pay on top of your salary, 7% more a year for all my employees...

Drop that and everyone who employs people could instantly afford to hire more.

The plain truth is that our Poor is nearly 90% of the worlds middle class. Do I want our poor to live poorer, no, but I also don't feel our poor deserve a better life than other countries poor... It's not even a conversation if you feel our poor isn't the luckiest poor there is compared around the world. It sucks to be poor, but if I were going to be poor, I would feel lucky to be in the USA.

There is no COULD, you CAN see it today, and those types are far more prevalent in the minority communities... :)

That actually happens all the time, and it's ok, becuase people like hanging out with people like themselves... It's a natural function of the human experience, you want to hang out with people lik yourself, its not racist or anything else, it has more to do with understand your peers... the Rich white guy has nothing in common with someone who collects food stamps... Whether that person genuinely despises the other... I don't know, but they are from different worlds, and they don't want to "hang" with each other.

Again there is also a major difference between public and private, nothing that receives funds from government can have any restrictions.

13. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The government did not make that societal change... Music, and Pop Culture had more to do with the change in society than the government did, and that's a fact.

Also, the act you described, is as illegal today, as it was then, as it would be in a small government, government... I don't see how pointing to one person who choose to break the laws as a reason why we should have bigger and more government.

What part of government today ensure that doesn't happen? And what that department, what did it do in the 70s? Answer me that...

14. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Thank you for making my point. Sure it was assault then and today, but there's gonna be whole bunch of black kids going to school at Southie High next month and nobody cares at all. That's the difference and no amount of Bob Dylan songs would have made that change.

15. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I simply think our changing culture and society had more to do with it than a government mandate. I think the proliferation of TV probably was a big factor.

Most of you grew up in racist America... ( Some of you older people ) can you cite your direct example of what made you not want to be racist anymore since I would assume most of the 50+ year olds grew up with racist parents...

16. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

Are you talking just federal government, or government at all levels?

17. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

I would certainly include the state level in most cases. Too much variability in local governments to make blanket statements.

18. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

It would make life better fro most people. If we went to a real small government format, Companies would relocate here and bring good jobs, unemployment would plunge, people would have more money and confidence in the future, the economy would take off and fewer people would need government help because they could make it on their own.

19. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

[​IMG]

Here sadly is the photo and the story behind it.....
    The Photograph That Shocked America, and the Victim Who Stepped Outside the Frame - The Digital Journalist
    The photo was taken outside GovernmentCenter

20. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +253 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Wow!. Smaller government would result in all that? Why does reduced government spending have to have those results?

Or, is that just a test run for the latest liberal scare advertising blitz/