PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How will the Ravens stop the Pats' running game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goheels22002

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
All this focus on stopping Ray Rice misses the Patriots' accomplishments in the running game this year.

The Ravens rushed for 1,996 yards this year with a 4.35 yards/carry while the Patriots rushed for 1,764 yards for a 4.03 yards/carry. Not that big a difference.

Both teams pass more than they run the ball (a surprise to me) with the run/pass ratios not all that far apart. Patriots run the ball 42% of the time vs the Ravens who run the ball 46% of the time.

Over 16 games of the regular season, the Patriots averaged 110 yards per game on the ground compared to the Ravens' 124.

In some ways, the Patriots defense has it easier. They know that Ray Rice is The Man to stop as the leading rusher and receiver. The Ravens have to worry about a multi-headed beast in both the rushing and passing games.

It is reassuring to look at the Patriots rushing statistics to see more balance with the passing game than we might think, and a potent enough running attack to move the chains with nearly the same effciency as the Ravens.

Put a spy on him all game.

He's best spreading out to corners and having Spikes (or even Chung) spy him all game should serve to limit breakaway runs. He'll get his yds, we just have to limit them to 3-5 yarders instead of 8-12.

All this focus on stopping Ray Rice misses the Patriots' accomplishments in the running game this year.

The Ravens rushed for 1,996 yards this year with a 4.35 yards/carry while the Patriots rushed for 1,764 yards for a 4.03 yards/carry. Not that big a difference.

Both teams pass more than they run the ball (a surprise to me) with the run/pass ratios not all that far apart. Patriots run the ball 42% of the time vs the Ravens who run the ball 46% of the time.

Over 16 games of the regular season, the Patriots averaged 110 yards per game on the ground compared to the Ravens' 124.

In some ways, the Patriots defense has it easier. They know that Ray Rice is The Man to stop as the leading rusher and receiver. The Ravens have to worry about a multi-headed beast in both the rushing and passing games.

It is reassuring to look at the Patriots rushing statistics to see more balance with the passing game than we might think, and a potent enough running attack to move the chains with nearly the same effciency as the Ravens.

Hloti Ngata and Terrence Cody are two space-eaters up front. Huge ILB's in Ray Lewis and Johnson. We won't be able to run at them early in the game. As the game wears on and we go to hurry up. Cody will tire out and we might be able to run Woodhead some. But, don't expect too much running the ball.

Hloti Ngata and Terrence Cody are two space-eaters up front. Huge ILB's in Ray Lewis and Johnson. We won't be able to run at them early in the game. As the game wears on and we go to hurry up. Cody will tire out and we might be able to run Woodhead some. But, don't expect too much running the ball.

The Ravens strength is stopping the run, but I don't think you can succeed against that D by being one dimensional. That plays into their hands. You've still got to keep them honest. But find creative ways to run the ball. For example using Hernandez in a double or triple TE formation like we did last week. Using Woodhead on draws, etc. I am wondering if we will go more to the screen game to use the Ravens' aggression against them. If they get burned a couple of times early this will slow them by half a step as they will take the time to read and react instead of just attacking downhill all the time.

Pats only need run to set up PA IMO

Please please no ridley...i just don't trust him with ball yet...BJGE has a much better chance of NOT fumbling...

The Ravens won't even try to stop the run.

Expect the Ravens to be in a nickel formation more than 70% of the snaps.

Basically they will dare the Patriots to run, just like teams used to do against the Colts. Even with extra DBs the Patriots offense will be pass heavy.

The Pats don't want to run the ball in this matchup. If the Ravens can force NE into running into Ngata and co that becomes a clear advantage for them.

Last edited:
The Ravens strength is stopping the run, but I don't think you can succeed against that D by being one dimensional. That plays into their hands. You've still got to keep them honest. But find creative ways to run the ball. For example using Hernandez in a double or triple TE formation like we did last week. Using Woodhead on draws, etc. I am wondering if we will go more to the screen game to use the Ravens' aggression against them. If they get burned a couple of times early this will slow them by half a step as they will take the time to read and react instead of just attacking downhill all the time.

I look at their def. front like the Vikings back 5-6 years ago. Had both Williams at DT. Just a tough run defense. Tops in the league at the time. Why beat your head against the wall? Brady came out throwing on that Monday night game and we got an early lead. I'd like to see that instead of 2 runs no yards , 7yd pass on 3rd and 10 punt for the 1st quarter. Attack.

The Ravens are certainly capable of shutting down the running game of any team.

I have no idea what the Pats will do but I suspect they will try to run early to get the o line settled in.

I look at their def. front like the Vikings back 5-6 years ago. Had both Williams at DT. Just a tough run defense. Tops in the league at the time. Why beat your head against the wall? Brady came out throwing on that Monday night game and we got an early lead. I'd like to see that instead of 2 runs no yards , 7yd pass on 3rd and 10 punt for the 1st quarter. Attack.

If you read what I typed, I never said 'beat your head against a wall', I said keep them honest and find creative ways to run and attack that will make the defense hesitate. If you become completely one dimensional then the DL just pins back their ears and goes after Brady. There must still be a THREAT of a run in order to allow the offense to operate optimally and to set up some credible play action.

The Ravens are certainly capable of shutting down the running game of any team.

I have no idea what the Pats will do but I suspect they will try to run early to get the o line settled in.

I expect the Pats first possession to be scripted. And we will see a mix of run and pass. It is true that when OL get to run block they settle in faster because they get the chance to be the aggressors. And that carries over in their attitude. That being said, pass protection will be a huge key for us. I trust Brady to make the proper reads and adjustments. I am anxious to see what wrinkles we pull out to counter the Ravens aggressive defense.

Last edited:
The Ravens run defense has not been imposing over the past month.

Four teams in a row have rushed for over 100 yards: the Chargers for 145, the Browns for 117, the Bengals for 105, and the Texans for 131. In three of their four losses, the opposition went for over 100 yards on the ground.

A steady run game is a key element to slowing the pass rush. Yesterday, Mangini showed a Ravens vs Pats play from last year on ESPN with seven down defensive lineman. 3 outside on each side and Ngata over the center alone. Excellent disguise play.

Brady got nailed and threw a pick. He should have handed the ball to somebody or run up the middle himself.

The Patriots average 110 yards and will probably gain that again this weekend.

They certainly shouldn't have a problem stopping our run game if we sit Ridley. Hernandez isn't going to run it after getting a concussion. That puts our two most effective runners of the last month on the bench. Benji will run it a few times at about 2yds a clip and Woodhead will get his standard production on quick hitters.

If Ridley and Hernandez don't touch the ball, we don't even sniff 100 yds.

They certainly shouldn't have a problem stopping our run game if we sit Ridley.

:bricks:

Hernandez isn't going to run it after getting a concussion.

:wha:

That puts our two most effective runners of the last month on the bench.

:eek:

Benji will run it a few times at about 2yds a clip and Woodhead will get his standard production on quick hitters.

4.5 YPC

If Ridley and Hernandez don't touch the ball, we don't even sniff 100 yds.

97 yards, 2 rushing TDs.

You sure called it, bro. :rolleyes:

He always does well when this argument crops up. I should've brought it up more this year. He wouldn't have played so terribly.

He always does well when this argument crops up. I should've brought it up more this year. He wouldn't have played so terribly.

"I was wrong" would have been a much manlier post.

You suck.

(10 chars)

Bring it up right before the superbowl, willya? ;)

Pleasantly surprised by our run game today. I knew it was key to run effectively when the situation *let* us. I felt in the past, too often we ran in predictable situations, and therefore into the teeth of a good run defense.

Seemed much better today running when they gave it to us, not to mention mostly good execution.

On the flip side, a couple plays I thought NE had executed blocking well only to see the Ravens somehow swallow up the runner for little/no gain. Good plays by them.

Hernandez got a little tripped up trying to cut into a whole on the stretch to the right....

Green-Ellis running with a purpose was fantastic to see. Tenacious.

The Ravens had no answer for Lawfirm when it wasn't a short yardage, "obvious" run play down.

Lawfirm ran all over them and should have had more touches.

How soft was that running it right down the gut of your defense Ricky Williams? Soft my ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes