PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How will the Mitchell report affect the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainefan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
It seems to me that there's a mighty thin line between baseball and football when it comes to drugs...and I worry how a serious inquiry into substance abuse in the NFL might affect the game.

Should we welcome an inquiry? Can an inquiry be avoided?

Anyone have any reassuring thoughts on the matter?

It seems to me that there's a mighty thin line between baseball and football when it comes to drugs...and I worry how a serious inquiry into substance abuse in the NFL might affect the game.

I was thinking the same thing.

With a workforce of men that are unhumanly strong, how long will it be before the NFL is pressured to ramp up their steroid testing, etc.?

I now they have random testing now and a handful of players get caught each year, but come on. Look at the guys on the fields. Your eyes tell you there are more than a handful of players on juice. Human beings are just not genetically built that way.

That said, I really don't even care if a guy takes juice. If he understands the risks and makes a choice as an adult, that's his business.

I wouldn't do it, but then again my livelihood is not contingent on how strong and physically dominant I can be, either.

Last edited:
Football quietly cleaned itself up long ago. The weak players association couldn't stand in the way the way MLB's did. Football's near lack of 20 year careers means whatever did happen happened with players long gone.

well since things are run completely different between the MLB and NFL, i would say, that for all intensive purposes, the NFL won't be affected much.

The other thing is, for those of us who are Red Sox fans, is that there have been complaints that the report was biased as there were not a lot of Red Sox players on the list and Mitchell is employed in a fringe capacity with the team.

Perception is a funny thing I guess. People see what they want to see.

I saw some prominent Red Sox on the list - Mo Vaughn, Roger Clemens, Mike Lansing, Brandon Donnelly, Eric Gagne - just to name a few of the bigger names...

No team is immune here and I believe more names will surface as people start selling out, etc. The bottom line is it happened and in it's in the past and the important thing is what MLB does from here on out to keep it under control for the future.

As far as Mitchell, being a former congressman, I find it hard to believe he would hang his integrity out to dry by favoring one team or another. Not that he is super honest or anything, I just think he understands how the political game is played.

What was actually more interesting to me was when you consider the percentage of Latin-born players in the majors, there were proportionately less on the list than you might have expected. I know some of the big names like Tejada, etc., but really when you look at major league rosters and see 10%-20% or more Latin-born players, at first glance, that trend does not play out on the Mitchell report.

Maybe they are teaching to play the game right and honest and straight in places like the Dominican Republic and Venezuela and Puerto Rico, like we used to do in the US, before we became a nation of "Get all you can while you can. The ends justify the means."

Is LeKevin Smith's nickname really the "Widowmaker"?

Or did you coin that one?

It's an awesome nickname. There is an old 80's metal song by a band called W.A.S.P. called "The Widowmaker". I think it was on the album, "The Last Command".

Would be a cool song to play at the Blade if LeKevin elevates himself into a big-time role on the team. Right after a sack or for a goal-line stand, etc.

http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/W-a-s-p/Widowmaker.html

i would say, that for all intensive purposes,

"for all intents and purposes"

Sorry, that's a pet peeve of mine. Common mistake.

I know, I'm a ****.

I know, I'm a ****.

Grammatically, of course, you are correct, but maybe the poster just had a really intense purpose?!?!

Last edited:
How will the Mitchell report affect the NFL?

Hmmm, let's see. Major League Baseball and the Nation Football League have...Let's see...Ummm, oh that's right. NOTHING to do with each other!

Other than that they are sports played in America and they try to bump each other off the back pages of newspapers during the months of September and October, they have nothing to do with with each other.

Now, I know nothing happens in a vacuum but the Mitchell Report only has two primary sources of information. A clubhouse attendant and a former bat-boy. Virtually no players talked to him and Senator Mitchell is still on the payroll of the Red Sox. The report is toothless and nothing will be done until the 2011 when the players union and MLB renegotiate the work contract.

It's like the 9-11 Report that came out a few years ago. George Bush has done almost nothing that the Commission recommended. I expect MLB and the Players Union to largely ignore the Mitchell Report.

I think you have to put an asterisk next to the Yankee championships of the late nineties....That should shut up the New Yorkers..........

I know, I'm a ****.
FYI I think Keegs was making a tongue-in-cheek reference to another thread...

:D
...You sound like a woman fighting for custody, or child support. Enjoy the friggin' season, and the Patriots, for all intensive purposes, may have hedged their bet....
For future reference, the proper term is "for all intents and purposes", not "intensive purposes". Carry on.

It's like the 9-11 Report that came out a few years ago. George Bush has done almost nothing that the Commission recommended. I expect MLB and the Players Union to largely ignore the Mitchell Report.

I agree that they will do nothing, because what can they do, really?

A lot of these guys are former players, etc., and the fact is that when they took the juice, there was no rule, per se, against it in their league.

What this report should do is prompt MLB to stiffen their rules and testing (which they have already done, to a large degree).

For posterity, here's the full list:

The Mitchell Report.

The following players were connected to steroids, either use or possession, in the report:

Lenny Dykstra
David Segui
Larry Bigbie
Brian Roberts
Jack Cust
Tim Laker
Josias Manzanillo
Todd Hundley
Mark Carreon
Hal Morris
Matt Franco
Rondell White
Andy Pettitte
Roger Clemens
Chuck Knoblauch
Jason Grimsley
Gregg Zaun
David Justice
F.P. Santangelo
Glenallen Hill
Mo Vaughn
Denny Neagle
Ron Villone
Ryan Franklin
Chris Donnels
Todd Williams
Phil Hiatt
Todd Pratt
Kevin Young
Mike Lansing
Cody McKay
Kent Mercker
Adam Piatt
Miguel Tejada
Jason Christiansen
Mike Stanton
Stephen Randolph
Jerry Hairston
Paul Lo Duca
Adam Riggs
Bart Miadich
Fernando Vina
Kevin Brown
Eric Gagne
Mike Bell
Matt Herges
Gary Bennett
Jim Parque
Brendan Donnelly
Chad Allen
Jeff Williams
Exavier "Nook" Logan
Howie Clark
Paxton Crawford
Ken Caminiti
Rafael Palmeiro
Luis Perez
Derrick Turnbow
Ricky Bones
Ricky Stone

The following players were cited under "Alleged Internet Purchases of Performance Enhancing Substances By Players in Major League Baseball."

Rick Ankiel
David Bell
Paul Byrd
Jose Canseco
Jay Gibbons
Troy Glaus
Jason Grimsley
Jose Guillen
Darren Holmes
Gary Matthews Jr.
John Rocker
Scott Schoeneweis
Ismael Valdez
Matt Williams
Steve Woodard

The following players were linked through BALCO:

Benito Santiago
Gary Sheffield
Randy Velarde
Jason Giambi
Jeremy Giambi
Bobby Estalella
Barry Bonds
Marvin Benard

Other than that they are sports played in America and they try to bump each other off the back pages of newspapers during the months of September and October, they have nothing to do with with each other.

But that's a heck of a lot right there. They are sports played in America, and American sports fans are bound to look at the Mitchell report then start to contemplate another sport where the players have gotten MUCH bigger, stronger and faster in the past 25 years. There's likely to be pressure for a similar probe in football.

Yes, the NFL has come a long way from it's drug-drenched nadir in the '70s. But no, of course it's not "clean." Remember that Rodney's foray into HGH wasn't caught by the league but by an outside criminal investigation -- and even then, only because he was extremely careless. Surely there are juiced players on every team.

baseball is stupid.

I'd rather jam an icepick into my testicles repeatedly than watch this crap (for all intensive purposes).

Yes, the NFL has come a long way from it's drug-drenched nadir in the '70s. But no, of course it's not "clean." Remember that Rodney's foray into HGH wasn't caught by the league but by an outside criminal investigation -- and even then, only because he was extremely careless. Surely there are juiced players on every team.

No doubt but go back and read the rest of my post. The Mitchell Report is toothless like the 9-11 Report. There are no penalties for failing to meet any of its recommendations and no punishments for players named in the Report.

Also, Mitchell himself said that this report is about the future and not the past (a la McGuire)...also, think of the children!

The NFL shrugs.

...Surely there are juiced players on every team.

I don't see it being any other way now or even further down the line; but the NFL will never have to go through the shame of having 85 of its players all outed at once, including Pro-bowlers at every position and both the very best offensive and defensive player to come along in decades.

We may very well have Flutie and the other strike breakers to thank for allowing Football to dodge a similar black mark against its record. IMO the main applicable difference between MLB and the NFL is the relative strengths of their player's unions.

I want to move this thread. I want to move this thread bad.

But I don't want to get my anti-baseball, nothing but steriod on the sports shows since yesterday, bias in the way of having a thread remain on the main football forum page.

So help me out. Should this be moved to the Red Sox forum?

I want to move this thread. I want to move this thread bad.

But I don't want to get my anti-baseball, nothing but steriod on the sports shows since yesterday, bias in the way of having a thread remain on the main football forum page.

So help me out. Should this be moved to the Red Sox forum?

I don't think so as this question posed in the thread's title asks about the Report's impact on the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes