Welcome to PatsFans.com

How will the mid-terms turn out?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PATSNUTme, Oct 21, 2010.

?

How will mid-terms turn out

Poll closed Nov 4, 2010.
  1. Republicans take House and Senate

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Republicans take the House but not the Senate

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  3. Democrats keep both House and Senate

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Doesn't matter- the world end in 2012 anyway.

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +122 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'm going to put up a poll. Please vote the choice that you think will happen, not what you want or wish will happen.

Also, pick your shocker in this election.

I think the Rep's will certainly gain the House but not the Senate. I think the Senate will be 52-48 Dems or maybe 51-49 Dems. This includes the 2 "independents" that are really Dems. This could go up as I think Olympia Snowe of my state will jump parties within the year.

My shocker: Boxer loses in CA. I know it's a tight race right now but for her to actually lose in dark blue CA, it would be a shocker.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Think it is going to be real close, but expect that the Dems will retain control and the next two years will be marked by legislative stagnation and even more infighting than we have seen already...

Those who think that if you elect Angle, Miller or O'Donnell will make a signficant change do not understand politics or power.. Congress works on party affiliation, seniority and whose azz you kiss best... it is not by or for the people, right now it is by and for the corporation.

See Brown. Massachusetts.
  3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Of the corporation Buy the corporation and For the corporation. I think thats how it goes.

The world will end in 2012 so what does it matter anymore :singing:
  4. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

If it's 50-50, with VP Biden as casting tiebreaking votes, Joe Lieberman will be the most powerful kingmaker. Right now he caucuses with the Democrats. I
    can foresee a powerful push to get him to flip his party affiliation...He is up for reelection in 2012.
    The other person I could see being approached is Mary Landrieu , from Louisiana. While she is from a longtime Democratic family, she is one of the most conservative Democratic Senators and isn't up for reelection until 2014. IIRC Senator Rihrd Shelby of Alabama switched from Democrat to Republican once in office, so its not unheard of......
    Should be an interesting two weeks....
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

GOP takes the house, and maybe up to 50 seats there. The senate will go 52-48, or maybe 51-49 I think. Some of the races are so tight, that a 50-50 is not improbable. With respect to the senate, I agree with what Philly said. We could really see some interesting politiking from now until 2012, as more players seek re-election. The real scum of the earth, establishment politicians, will be Spectoring themselves while making every attempt to stay in office. I hope they all lose. All establishment pols that is, be they dem, or repub.
  6. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Shocker in this election: Nothing really changes!!! Oh wait that's not a shocker...
  7. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

GOP takes House but not Senate and Obama successfuly runs against the "Do Nothing Congress" to win re-election in 2012.

:bricks:
  8. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +122 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

9. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

House - Rep 253

Senate - Rep 49
  10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I think Republicans will take the House, but not the Senate because that's what the polls show, and the polls won't be far off. The interesting thing is the likelihood that a far right group -- for the first time since I can remember -- will have a real foothold in DC. These people may include the likes of Rand Paul who favors legalizing private discrimination, Sharron Angle and Ken Buck who believe that raped women should be forced to carry their child to term, Joe Miller who believes unemployment insurance is illegal, and Christine O'Donnell who is obviously a whack job. I see parallels to rise of the this far group group and the rise of Nazi-ism (that also positioned itself as civilized in order to win elections). The question is, will these radicals be able to disrupt government enough that they can win more elections?
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

I'm going w/reduced majorities in both house and senate, with Dems retaining control. This is probably the Administration's worst nightmare, in a way, since the next election is not a mid-term, and any action, however moderate, will once again be painted as radical. With any luck they'll figure out that they need to start bargaining way to the left, then settle on what they can get a majority for, rather than start the bidding at what the Republicans offered as an alternative in the 1990s, then get more conservative from there (as they did on health care.)

Of course, if the Republicans take the House, the world becomes one big subpoena party, you guys go batsh1t crazy with elation about a bunch of spurious innuendo and post threads starting with "WHERE'S THE OUTRAGE" on a regular basis... and meanwhile, real progress on any given issue stops.

Interesting times. Vote early, vote often.
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

Conservative on healthcare? :confused:

Obama should rejoice November 3rd, because his best shot at being re-elected in 2012, sits with losing the house and possibly the senate.
  13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Dunno about the effect on 12, but I could easily see it being a "heads I lose, tails I lose" scenario - probably the voters reelect him in 12 if the nutty guys actually have to have a hand in government, and refuse to, pretty much deadlocking American life.

So, we got a little change, and that'll be enough for now. I wonder if by 12 people will see through the "DONT CHANGE ANYTHING WHY DIDNT ANYTHING CHANGE?!?!?!?!?" silliness.
  14. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +122 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010