PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How will the Giants play knowing the Pats are going for certain records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poker

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Food for thought: The Pats clearly want to win this game more than NYG, and I think they will play normally and have the game in hand, but clearly have shown they also want the all-time records. But I find it interesting to think about some of the reccords in play, and how the Giants might respond, then how the Pats might anticipate and use a different approach. In no particular order, here are some of the records up for grabs and how I see them possibly playing out:

1. The point record of 556 set by the Vikes--Pats are at 551 going in; Welker is tied with Troy Brown for most Pats receptions 101. These are both going to be broken easily--not even worth discussing.

2. Brady needs 2 TD passes to get to 50 and break Peyton's mark. I think this record will also fall--just too many weapons via the air, and the Pats are at least as good passing in the red zone as running it. However, it would be interesting to see how the giants play it--knowing the Pats/Brady will be going for this record--for example, what if they drop 8 or 9 into coverage and basically make the Pats try to run it for the score? What happens then?

3. Moss needs two TDs to break Rice's TD record of 22. This one, in my view, will be hard to get Saturday. The Giants have to know what is coming and I expect them to double (if not triple) cover Randy especially in the red zone. Brady and Moss are going to need some special routes (corner jump balls, tricky bunch sets, etc) to get Moss a TD when NY can anticipate it. I think the Pats are going to have to be willing to go to other guys to loosen it up. Also, Brady, knowing that Moss will be completely blanketed in the red zone, will probably try some long scoring tosses from the 50 or 40, where at least there is a lot more field to cover even in double coverage. Additionally, I can see some designed gadget plays to get Moss a long TD--flea flickers, fake run/reverse with a bomb,etc. Also, I think he has to be willing to ignore a highly covered Moss for awhile and take the other open receivers to soften them up a little.

4. Lastly, there is the fascinating team record of getting a 22nd player who hasn't scored a TD yet to get one somehow. I don't know if the Pats are even thinking about this, but if BB wants to do it, I think it divides into two categories: On offense, you just have to design a play for a new scoring threat, and hope it executes. The candidates I can think of are: Troy Brown, Kelley Washington, Chad Jackson as a receiver, the new tight end Spach, an unusual eligible tight end, or a "fullback" like Seau or Seymour or someone else in the goal line power formation. Then there are the defensive and special teams TDs. I don't really know how you go for a defensive TD, other than having the guys who haven't scored yet like the D-Line go for strip sack recoveries, or backers like Seau and Bruschi jump routes, and ditto for any dbs who haven't scored yet. On special teams, I guess you can gamble extra hard to block punts and field goals, and hen obviously put a guy back there like Troy or Chad Jackson and set up a return, or maybe some kind of designed trick play.

What does everyone think?

I think the Giants will play real tough the 1st half.

They'll blanket Moss. (Hope Tom won't force the issue and will throw to someone else, including LoMo underneath)

If the Pats get all the records in the 2nd half against their scrubs, that'll be a moral victory for the Giants.

That said, I''ll call Pats 21-6 at the half and Brady will have at least 2 TDs.

how have they played all year.......?

Most, if not all of that stuff should take care of itself on Saturday.

On #4, is there a better person on this roster to score #22 than one Troy Brown.

As good as this offense has been, you would think they could find 1 call in the playbook that would land #80 in the end zone.

Assuming Troy is active for the game, I will be watching for this all day or at least until it happens.

i dont think any of the patriots care about any of this... im sure every member would rather go 16-0 than break even one record...
so to answer your q's... if they drop 9, then we kill them running... if the quadruple-cover moss, then we go to someone else...
this game is about 16-0, not records.

Last edited:
My personal hope is Brady throws number 50 to number 80.

I don't think the Giants will have a thought about trying to stop individual records per se. They aren't their records being broken, and these players like each other off the field a lot more than their fans would like them to.

I think the Giants will give it their all because on some level as much as they could use the rest they aren't playing well enough to rest. And while they won't admit it, they know they are playoff fodder unless they somehow suddenly turn it all around. This is their last shot before if you lose you go home. If they are down 2 scores at halftime I think Coughlin folds his tent before anyone else gets hurt and just hopes they can get by an erratic Tampa team as is.

Strahan vs Kazcur:bricks: :D :bricks:

Eli manning vs Patriots D......pick 6 x 2 easy :rocker:

The Giants FO paid heavily for this bust of a #1 QB.

My personal hope is Brady throws number 50 to number 80.

I was so hoping for this last week.. . esp after poor Troy had that punt *doink* off his facemask. D'oh!

i believe it will be one extreme or the other. the giants will either come in like its preseason, or they will be coming like its the superbowl. no in-between

i'm sure giant will try to defeat pats and pats will hopefully win.

i can't wait for this sat game.

However, it would be interesting to see how the giants play it--knowing the Pats/Brady will be going for this record--for example, what if they drop 8 or 9 into coverage and basically make the Pats try to run it for the score? What happens then?

I think that the Giants have the same *exact* task as any other opponent we've faced this year. There is no way to make a defense fear the Brady/Moss combination, or expect that combination any more in the red zone. It's going to happen with or without records at stake. Nothing will change.

In awe? .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes