PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How will the defense plan against Boldin and Fitzgerald?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
These two Cardinals WRs are arguably the best 1 2 combo at WR in the league - Just as good as the Welker/Moss duo.

How do you think Pees plans his injury riddled defense against these guys so that they both don't have 100 yard games?

I think if you even stop one of these WRs and hold Hightower down to under 80 yards you will beat the Cardinals,I don't think their defense is all that good an can be scored upon - Easier said than done of course

I think the performance of Vrabel and Colvin will be BIG in deciding this game as I think pressure from the outside on Warner is key and the best way to combat the long ball of the Cards - We will need several sacks and constant pressure on the QB in this game,since the team has lacked pocket pressure it is a bit of a worry IMO.

This game should be won in the trenches and thats where the Pats D needs to overpower the Cards OL - This battle at the LOS should decide the winner and loser.

Last edited:
Lots and Lots of zone:(

Hopefully we blitz a lot more which I have seemed to notice over the last 2 weeks!:)

It's going to be another one of those aggravating games where the other team marches up and down the field but the defense holds enough to keep them from scoring TDs every single time. I'm hoping Kurt has one of those turnover filled games he has every now and then and the Pats can capitalize. All in all, I have a good feeling about this game. Arizona seems to be slowing down while the Pats are picking up steam at just the right time.

First of all, we can hope that the ten day weather forecast for Foxboro, calling for a mild high of 41 degrees next Sunday, is wrong. Temps in the teens, wind, sleet, snow...that's what we should be hoping for.

Beyond that, I don't know. This team is equipped to exploit one of our greatest weaknesses. Our pass rush hasn't been much to write home about all season, but hitting Warner in the nose a few times and mauling his receivers at the line of scrimmage worked in SB XXXVI so maybe it will work again here. If our running game could keep them off the field as long as possible, it would certainly work to our advantage.

The best defense is going to be a good offense, predict a shoot out next sunday.. this game has concerned me for a while.

It will be an Indy type game.

Ball control is key.

Agree, look for ball control type of game. Pressuring Warner will be key. If they don't get to him, he'll pick the flimsy Pats zone apart. But if they can get to him, force a couple Vintage Warner Fumbles, then (hopefully) it really won't matter how the Pats play Boldin/Fitz.

Last edited:
Living here in the Valley of the Sun, and watching the Cards get respectable, I have the following observations.

Warner is having a MVP type year, but he has the same deficiencies he always did. He WANTS to pass. He still can't scramble, or avoid the rush at all. He has small, and somewhat arthritic hand(s), hence he is fumble prone.

The three Cards receivers, (DO NOT disregard Steve Breston!), are all size-able and IMHO Anquin Boldin is the most dangerous of the three.

Their TE Jeremy Urban, makes Ben Watson look sure handed, while Leonard Pope is unhealthy. He makes up for being fumble-fingered by being SLOW. They don't have the Offensive line inside, to be able to run; but if their runners get into the secondary, they can do some damage.

On Defense they do have some talent. Their pass rushers are fast and quick. Their LBs are fine, and they have talent in the secondary, although former first rounder Antwan Rolle, is a TD waiting to happen.

Their Achilles' heal is that their interior DL is weak, and can be pushed around. There are a couple of big DLs that have either been hurt or not producing, and as a consequence they play undersized DEs types at DT. They can be driven off the line, by a good power running game, and they wear down.

I don't think you can rush Warner, you have to hammer him consistently after the pass, and he will get gun shy, eventually.

Most of all the Cards psyche is very vulnerable and neurotic. Losing is buried deep in their soul. If they get off to a poor start, they will ALL think ..."Same Old Cardinals"...

Still I think the Pats will win in a shootout, with a more balanced offense. Probably 35-31.

Even with no sacks, if we can get Warner on the run, his passing becomes suspect. Cassel, Big Ben and Romo can make plays whilst scrambling. Not so much with Kurt. I think liberal safety blitzes in the Cards end could do the trick.

Look at what Minnesota did and copy that.

These two Cardinals WRs are arguably the best 1 2 combo at WR in the league - Just as good as the Welker/Moss duo.

How do you think Pees plans his injury riddled defense against these guys so that they both don't have 100 yard games?

I think if you even stop one of these WRs and hold Hightower down to under 80 yards you will beat the Cardinals,I don't think their defense is all that good an can be scored upon - Easier said than done of course

I think the performance of Vrabel and Colvin will be BIG in deciding this game as I think pressure from the outside on Warner is key and the best way to combat the long ball of the Cards - We will need several sacks and constant pressure on the QB in this game,since the team has lacked pocket pressure it is a bit of a worry IMO.

This game should be won in the trenches and thats where the Pats D needs to overpower the Cards OL - This battle at the LOS should decide the winner and loser.

Lets not forget WR Steve Breaston he has one more receiving yards than Randy Moss at 909 yeards and he's their 3rd WR.:scared:

Last edited:
Pees and the defense will do it with zone defense, blitzing, and lots of weather. Hopefully it's snowing in Foxboro on Sunday so we can welcome Warner and Co. to beautiful New England. :D

Pees and the defense will do it with zone defense, blitzing, and lots of weather. Hopefully it's snowing in Foxboro on Sunday so we can welcome Warner and Co. to beautiful New England. :D

I don't really think snow helps the pats offense that much, does it?

I don't really think snow helps the pats offense that much, does it?

I dunno, with 47 solid running backs, I think it gives us the edge. The Cards don't seem to have a ground game to turn to. Bring on the ELEMENTS.

Quite frankly-I'm surprised Warner hasn't been all that great DESPITE the presences of the best WR in the game today(Fitz), and another who's just as darn good(Boldin).

If anything, Belichick should gameplan for Warner. You hit him around early, he'll get happy feet and his rhythm will get throw off.

Hope they can catch them from behind.

Hope they can catch them from behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back