PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How will Adalius do this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
You see the same stats as last year or a little better?

Better, since he's now in his 2nd year in the system and gets to settle into the OLB position for the full season. I think he could get 12 sacks.

Agree with Joe Pats. I would move him back to the outside (him and Vrabel on the outside, with Bruschi and Mayo on the inside) and use him to add speed on the edge. A 3-4 defence, with three 330 lb guys up front, really needs someone with good speed and mobility to hunt the QB down if the pocket collapses.

A 3-4 defence, with three 330 lb guys up front.

I assume you meant DL not LB there. And to take your point a little farther we have 3 DL over 300 LBs and the two OLBs are over 270 each (bigger than some DEs) That is 5 guys up front with some serious size and strength.

I think he will be over 10 sacks this year.

Never understood how any player in this system's performance can be based on a number or set of numbers, this defense does not revolve around individual stats.. instead on team defense. Thomas was fine last year, and expect the same this year.

Last edited:
Never understood how any player in this system's performance can be based on a number or set of numbers, this defense does not revolve around individual stats.. instead on team defense. Thomas was fine last year, and expect the same this year.

Righto, stats are meaningless on a team built around doing it's own job first, handling their assignments in order to realize success.

Thomas will do a better job this due to complete understanding the defense and his role. Plus, being outside seems to be where he is better suited to take advantage of his skill set.

AD was the player most effected by Bruschi's inability to cover RB's and TE's. He was in coverage way more than I'm sure Belichick envisioned. I expect him to have a monster ... top 5 OLB kind of year ... pro bowl caliber year for us. Which btw we will need because I expect Vrabel to contribute less as IMO his mileage is unfortunately getting high. Vrabel has given us 110% every year for 8 years that with all the playoff games means he's played not 12 but closer to 14 years in the league.

Agreed that sacks pay the bills but they are somewhat flukey and are not alway indicative of a players production. What I want to see from AD is an increase in the amout of QB pressues from if he indeed spends more time at OLB. Although he had a productive year and was great in the SB I was dissapointed all season on the number of times he rushed that passer from the end and got stood up, somtimes by a TE w/o help.

Agreed that sacks pay the bills but they are somewhat flukey and are not alway indicative of a players production. What I want to see from AD is an increase in the amout of QB pressues from if he indeed spends more time at OLB. Although he had a productive year and was great in the SB I was dissapointed all season on the number of times he rushed that passer from the end and got stood up, somtimes by a TE w/o help.

I think people have this Idea that high sacks means great de-end or great OLB but IMO all it means is great pass rusher. There is so much more that goes into the position and I think it is stupid that the sack is the key statistic for the position I mean pass rush is only half the game for the De ends and a 1/3 of the game for LBs (actually less for both)

To repeat the obvious: A rusher's effectiveness depends on the ability of the entire DL to collapse the pocket and encircle the QB, as well as on the secondary to cover and the LBs who aren't rushing to prevent the dump-off to RBs and TEs.

So before we say AD will have a great year because it's his second year and now he's at OLB, consider this:
* If Seymour is healthy, you can't double AD and Sey at the same time. Something's got to give.
* If all three DL are healthy and having good years, QB can't step up.
* If Vrabel is healthy and still effective after all these years, then QB can't roll to his right.
* If Bryant or whoever plays opposite Hobbs is close to Samuel in coverage, and Wheatley or whoever plays slot is better than Gay, QB has nowhere to unload the ball. Add the requirement that Hobson/Bru/Mayo are better in short coverage than Seau/Bru.

It's a complex equation. I think AD will likely play better. His stats depend on everyone else.

To repeat the obvious: A rusher's effectiveness depends on the ability of the entire DL to collapse the pocket and encircle the QB, as well as on the secondary to cover and the LBs who aren't rushing to prevent the dump-off to RBs and TEs.

So before we say AD will have a great year because it's his second year and now he's at OLB, consider this:
* If Seymour is healthy, you can't double AD and Sey at the same time. Something's got to give.
* If all three DL are healthy and having good years, QB can't step up.
* If Vrabel is healthy and still effective after all these years, then QB can't roll to his right.
* If Bryant or whoever plays opposite Hobbs is close to Samuel in coverage, and Wheatley or whoever plays slot is better than Gay, QB has nowhere to unload the ball. Add the requirement that Hobson/Bru/Mayo are better in short coverage than Seau/Bru.

It's a complex equation. I think AD will likely play better. His stats depend on everyone else.

I agree to a point. Sure, a lot of a certain players effectiveness is attributed to the the play of the defense as a whole. But, the great players are able to overcome breakdowns and make plays on their own. AD was very inconsistent when he was on the outside last year. I am looking for more consistency in his game. I consider him an elite player at the prime of his career.

I agree to a point. Sure, a lot of a certain players effectiveness is attributed to the the play of the defense as a whole. But, the great players are able to overcome breakdowns and make plays on their own. AD was very inconsistent when he was on the outside last year. I am looking for more consistency in his game. I consider him an elite player at the prime of his career.

Adalius is a complete linebacker. He's a very good pass rusher and a tremendous defender in coverage. He'll get more opportunities to rush the passer if he's playing OLB most of the time, but he will still be used as a coverage backer because it is just as much of a strength.

The game against the Steelers last season is one of my favorites of the year. Beyond it being an ass-kicking of a team some were ready to pronounce as "the team to beat" and the embarrassment of that dumbass Smith, it's a great game to show that the stats sheet doesn't begin to tell the tale. Vrabs was a force rushing the passer and completely blew up the right side of their offensive line but you wouldn't know that from his stats. AD was just as good in coverage (and he was playing in coverage a lot) but didn't wind up with very many statistics, either.

This year he should have more chances so I expect double digit sacks and continued excellent play in space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back